I read this many years ago the first time, and have read it many many times since. It is one of her best books. It's about a woman who was accused of murdering her two young children a few years ago who has now made a new life for herself and has a new husband and two more small children, one morning a newspaper exposes her true identity, and at the same time that she opens the paper and sees the story, her children who were playing in the garden, disappear. Of course suspicion falls on her, and the story centres on the battle to find the children and prove her innocence, and discover the truth about what really happened to her other kids.
on 27 June 2000
This was one of those books that I just couldn't put down, I couldn't wait to get to the end to find out what happened. By the time I reached the climax my heart was beating faster, my palms were sweating and WW3 could have broken out - but I had to finish it!
Brilliant, utterly brilliant!
But now I've finished it what am I supposed to read, I wanted it to just keep going and going and going and going and......
Gotta read it!
on 22 February 2009
Her children died years ago, she was the prime suspect of their murder, so when the children she replaced them with also disappear in the same way who else would you accuse?

Chilling and hard to read in places, however it has good twists that get your brain bellowing 'i told you so' in your ear.
on 21 April 2010
I like Mary Higgins Clark. this was a great easy read, took me no time at all, did not want to put it down.
on 10 June 2010
great writer dont take ne of her books to bed and expect to drift off to sleep you could be awake all night unable to leave the story
on 5 September 2010
This is an impression novel from Mary Higgins Clark and is only the second one of hers I have read, so look forward to reading many, many more. Gripping plot, with many characters the reader can sympathize with. The description of the setting is lovely and made me want to live there! I found it particularly interesting how MHC revealed to the reader that many of the characters possessed tiny bits of information that could led to the whereabouts of the children, but they were unaware of this or feared wasting the Police's time with what they perceived to be `trivia.' My only criticism is that the conclusion was a little bit `too neat' and I would have liked more of any explanation about the perpetrator's fixation with Nancy.
on 28 February 2011
MHC's first (fiction) book, took her three years to write it (as she says in the Introduction), as she was working at the time. Well worth the three years! A good one. Just the end that is a little too 'neat' maybe ... Highly recommended!
on 23 January 2015
A brilliant book leading lady had so many dimensions I really did not want her to be the villain had a compassion for her from the start of the book would definitely recommend thi
s book to anyone who likes suspense novels
on 29 December 2014
A sad crime story. The poor mother is blamed for her two children's death and then again when she rebuilds her life her new children are cruely taken. I liked the storyline was an easy read kept you gripped. Liked the ending.
on 22 June 2014
As with most of Mary Higgins Clark books, Where Are The Children was interesting from the start and you end up not wanting to put the book down. Very good story, very well written.