on 20 May 2004
I think I have all books by Mary Higgins Clark. This one is definitely her best. The story is credible, fast paced and exciting. You can't wait to turn the page to see what will happen.
Lacey Farrel, a real estate agent, becomes close friends with the mother of a girl who has recently died in an accident. Her mother is worried that it might not have been an accident at all. But the mother's concerns are ignored, until she is murdered - and Lacey is a witness to her brutal murder.
The only one to identify the killer, she is quickly placed in a witness protection program and cut off from her family. Time passes as she tries to survive, lonely in a strange city, far from her family, until she decides to take fait into her own hands. She decides to start hunting for the killer herself.
I've recently re-read this book and found it as thrilling as the first time (I'd forgotten the plot). The back of the book says "This book should come with a warning: start it in the evening and you'll be reading way late into the night". Not an exaggeration.
I just finished reading "Pretend You Don't See Her" for the second time. I will definitely be reading it a third time.
What I liked about the book:
It is highly believable that when a (in this case) young woman more or less witness the murder of another person, she will be in a great deal of danger. As she is the only one to have seen the, thought to be dead, murderer, her danger is even greater. Now the murderer, in this case Sandy Severano, has a great incentive to kill her, and he is eager to have it out with Lacey.
I also really liked the uncertainty about who was the murderer's informant. It wasn't until the last few chapters that it became really clear who the culprit was.
What was problematic about the book:
Would a woman who knew that she was on the hit-list of a murderer, and had been taught how to behave as a witness-program person, enter into her old field of work? Would she also take the chance of informing her family of where she was? Perhaps, but I'm not certain I buy that. This does increase the suspense in the book. Without having a clue of where Lacey was, Sandy would have a difficult time beginning his search for her. It still made me unhappy. This was the only difficulty I had with this book.
All in all I thorougly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it to any and all.
on 20 May 2004
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2009
i just finished reading Clark's recent "WHERE ARE YOU NOW" and wanted to be thrilled again!! so searched for a next one to get, and read some reviews on Amazon. The praises for "PRETEND YOU .." grabbed me so i ordered it on ebay for a mere £3! what a pleasure that was, i would say it was even better constructed, and so realistic: a witness to a murder hides under witness protection program, what happens next is Clark's usual talent at making us worried sick for her main female character, and for the first time in as long as i can remember i sat on my sofa and read 6 hours in a row, and RELUCTANTLY finished in 2 more hours the next morning!!! I SAY RELUCTANTLY, COS WHEN SOMETHING THIS GOOD HAPPENS, YOU DON'T WANT IT TO END!
the ending isn't as rushed as in "WHERE R U NOW?" which makes this book a perfect Clark all around!
10/10.
First book I've read by this author......

Lacey Farrell, a real estate agent witnesses a murder and becomes a target herself. Entered into the witness protection programme for her own safety it's not long before her would be assassin is hot on her heels.

I found this a brilliant read, fast paced and full of twists and turns that will keep you turning the pages right til the end.

May have been the first, but won't be the last book I read by this author!!
on 13 October 2009
VERY HAPPY WITH THE SPEED OF THE DELIVERY, AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED ANYTHING WRITTEN BY MARY HIGGINS CLARK HAS GOT TO BE GOOD!!!!
on 25 January 2015
Good story line. Deals we'll with finding yourself in need of a false identity and trying to get on with life when circumstances beyond your control have conspired against you.
on 29 August 1999
I like a book that makes my palms go sweaty, my pulse race and my fear reach an ultimate climax - and this is the ultimate trip of terror.
on 7 September 2012
Having read this and it is one of my favourites I wanted to download it to my beloved Kindle. BUT!! it has been unavailable for months!!! When will it be available??
on 7 October 2013
page turning as always with Mary Higgins Clark,suspense all the way looking forward to starting the next one...her books keep you guessing all the time