5.0 out of 5 stars I want a sequel!
I passed this by in the book shop many times, but gave in and took it to Bali with me for holiday reading. I am so glad I did! I have been on similar 'quests' myself and this book acurately portrays how these quests manifest.
The subtle humour endears you to the three guys seeking monsters,and makes you wish you could have been there with them.
The conclusion...
Published on 13 Jan 2005 by Kate Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm.
I wanted to love this book, and came pretty close on more than one occasion. However the relentless laddishness coupled with the author's fairly disrespectful attitude towards ancient sites and sometimes the people with whom his quest brought him into contact stuck in my craw a bit.

Published 16 months ago by Sarah S

5.0 out of 5 stars I want a sequel!, 13 Jan 2005
This review is from: Three Men Seeking Monsters: Six Weeks in Pursuit of Werewolves, Lake Monsters, Giant Cats, Ghostly Devil Dogs, and Ape-Men (Paperback)
The conclusion Nick Redfern reaches is thought provoking and leaves you wondering 'what if'.
My only criticisim is that I wanted to know more about the particular cases, and specifically why the police turned up when they did at the mansion.
It is an episode of Scooby Do for the young at heart, but a good read all the same. I only wish I could have been their Daphne!

4.0 out of 5 stars On the track of unknown animals... with a six pack., 9 Aug 2004
An enjoyable romp through a catalogue of British Monsters. The inclusion of an index and footnotes makes this a useful tome for research, but I am left wondering how much of this road trip is embellishment. Certainly the references for the stories gleaned from the newspapers check out (or at least the ones that I've looked into do), but there are a lot of 'anonymous' witnesses and some of them seem too good to be true. Of course this doesn't preclude their stories from being 'true', it's just that they seem quite archetypal. The witch, the chap in the old dark mansion, the ageing hippy researching King Arthur, it's just a bit... clean, I don't know, maybe it really did happen as Redfern says it did. Having said that, this really is a fantastic read, very informative and extremely funny in places, particularly the sequence in the witch's cottage (the humour is often at the expense of poor Jon Downes of the Centre for Fortean Zoology, although Redfern is always affectionate about the excellent Mr. Downes). At the end it all gets very serious and Redfern proposes a theory to explain the monsters that is more frightening than a prospective encounter with a physical creature. I won't ruin the end for you, because I really recommend you read this book. Funnier than Andrew Collins' questing books, laced throughout with punk references, boozing, midnight scrabbles through woodland, ill advised summoning rituals, with the occasional genuinely unsettling moment. Redfern is a down to earth author with no pretension to 'spiritual truth'. Read it, you will be entertained and next time you find yourself on your own in some out of the way piece of woodland, or driving along a moonlit country lane, you might think back to this book and feel not just a little afraid.
I would have liked to give this five stars, but there were a couple of points that let the book down slightly, for me anyway. Firstly I wanted more information about the encounters, but this was probably beyond the scope of the book and secondly I could have really done with some visuals, if only of the protagonists and their 'mystery machine', but a few maps and location photos would not have gone amiss. I suspect that publisher's constraints are more to blame than the author's intentions. *Note to the publishers, next time give Nick some space for some pictures*.
I look forward to Redfern's next book, in the meantime I'm off to join the CFZ.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm., 21 Mar 2013

There are some interesting witness accounts and some intriguing research, and the characterizations are pretty funny. The thing is, I've come away thinking, if he doesn't take the subject seriously, why should I? (Although I'm willing to concede that this was intended more as a rollicking romp than a serious chunk of cryptid research.)

I'm going to re -read this one in a couple of months, to see if my reaction is the same. There is some good stuff here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monsters everywhere!, 18 Mar 2013
Ms. D. A. Turner "Daisy Flame" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
Loved this book, Nick's down to earth writing style is brilliant and I love how he even puts in what he's been eating! The fact that this was set in the UK and places where I have been made it a compelling read. I can just imagine the 3 of them in the campervan parked up on Bodmin moor telling scary tales to each other. The story about the Cormons was intriguing too. If you love forteana in the UK and want to find out some tales you may not have heard of, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Hunting Is Fun, 15 Feb 2013
Or at least it is within the pages of this book.

I'm very, very sceptical about tales of the supernatural and paranormal my world is devoid of such phenomenon some people however perceive and experience the world far differently. I enjoy tales of a supernatural/paranormal flavour but I consider all tales as just that tales, you know fictional therefore this is a good fun fictional tale of three real life paranormal investigators travelling the roads of Great Britain looking for monsters, do they find any? Buy, read and find out for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable romp though the dark side of cryptozoology, 9 April 2006
O. Lewis (Wales) - See all my reviews
There are creatures in cryptozoology that dare not speak their names, these creatures are known as zooform phenomena. They are so weird or outlandish that they couldn't possibly exist in our reality, so if they exist at all they would have to be paranormal or ghost like in nature.
In this book, loosely based on fact, Nick Redfern (ufologist, author of the FBI files and a covert agenda, star of stage screen and convention) joins forces with Britain's top cryptozoologists, the eccentric Jonathan Downes and the even more eccentric Richard Freeman of the centre for fortean zoology in a scooby do-esk tour around Britain in a camper van searching for information and hopefully an encounter with these anathemas to sane cryptozoological society.
Tongue in cheek and very humorous it tails off slightly towards the end but will keep your interest throughout.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well you've probably read the other reviews..., 24 Feb 2008
... Chances are that you've read the other reviews so I'm not going to rant on about literary structure and how unbelievable Redfern might or might not come across. Instead I'd rather just point out that, one: It's a book about three men in a camper-van, who all have experience in their fields of work and who, ultimately, are aiming to get utterly hammered in the process of having a good - if obscure - time; two: they have a good and fairly obscure time (and if it wasn't written like a bleeding novel then it would probably be a somewhat less fun and considerably more boring time for the reader...); and finally, three: it's a book about monsters! Since when does your average person take a book about monsters seriously? Mildly ficticious in places or not, it manages to be amusing, interesting, informative (well, sometimes, if you want to be harsh about it) and refreshing.

In fact, I recomend it (...shock, horror)! In fact, I recomend it highly, if you can take something lightheartedly and seriously at the same time and if you have an ounce of empathy for characters. And, in fact, if I hadn't been as concerned as I was about the other reviewers finding me and burning my house down or some-such just for doing so, I would have given it five bleeding stars. So there.

3.0 out of 5 stars They did the mash - they did the monster mash, 5 Feb 2008
So, three grown men decide more or less on a whim to spend six weeks travelling the British isles investigating the existence of supernatural beasts. The gut reaction is "Bah, it's alright for some, the rest of us have to work for a living," but with a rather sizeable hint of "lucky bleeders, I'd love to do that..."

Having a casual interest (as opposed to obsessive, as with some) in the Fortean, I was drawn to this book by the promise of not only an insight into cryptozoological research, but also a healthy human angle; an emphasis not only on the findings and theories, but also the friendship, and the personal passion that drives people to such pursuits. That, I suspect, is what Nick Redfern was aiming for. Sad to say, he falls rather short of this. Clearly this was intended to be as amusing as it is informative, and I have little doubt that Redfern, Downes and Freeman may well be very funny in person, but on this evidence Redfern has little idea how to write comedy; he's constantly drawing attention to the humourous lines, at pains to make clear when something is intended to be funny, rather than just letting the humour come across naturally. The novel-like structure, and attempts at novel-like exposotion, are also rather fumbled; in relation to which, throwing in frequent references to punk music and starting each chapter with a vaguely relevant quote from The Ramones quickly gets tiresome, smacking of a desperation to come off as 'hip.'

That said - it is still an intriuging story, and brings up some intriguing ideas about the nature of myth, belief and reality. While Redfern's literary skills may be lacking, he clearly knows his stuff, and touches on a wide variety of mysteries. This, again, may be one of the books weaknesses: by spreading its focus on so many different monsters, it never really gets to the heart of any one of them. Even so, the sheer variety of different legends the group investigate does give pause for thought about how much may (or may not?) be going on, right on our doorstep.

Like some other reviewers here, I am not 100% convinced by Redfern's conclusion, but it's certainly food for thought for the open-minded. I suppose none of us can know for sure, unless we set out on a monster-hunt of our own. Would that I had the time and money... bah, it's alright for some...

2.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but dishonest marketing, 14 Mar 2012
THREE MEN SEEKING MONSTERS: Six Weeks in Pursuit of Werewolves, Lake Monsters, Giant Cats, Ghostly Devil Dogs and Ape-men

I read this on holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Whilst I took most of it with a pinch of salt, I was disappointed to learn that one of the main protagonists has subsequently claimed it was a complete work of fiction which was written as a joke. Redfern himself has not gone quite as far, saying instead that it was intended as a "gonzo story", but based on real events.

If two of the main characters can't agree on the accuracy of the book then it's quite telling, and I think it is time for Amazon and others to start filing this under fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eccentrics chase monsters - great fun!, 20 Nov 2007
Hugely enjoyable book, sort of Scooby Doo for real as a bunch of eccentrics travel round in a camper van investigating monster reports. Tongue in cheek and very funny. Whether it's all believable or not, well..... but it's about monsters for goodness sake so probably best they stay on the other side of believability! Whatever, it's very entertaining and gets my recommendation.