5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!
I really had to make myself put the book down of an evening. I thought it had a great storyline, involving a little of Trips past from 14 years ago, a little hint of romance and several cunning plot twists to keep the tension and action running high.
Published on 17 Jan. 2004 by Laura

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging effort
I did enjoy this book, reading it in one sitting and cursing the cliff hanger ending!
Published on 2 May 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging effort, 2 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Enterprise: Daedalus (Star Trek) (Mass Market Paperback)
I liked that it was from Trip's perspective (though not written first person, I should add) and it was intersting to find the vast majority of the action takes place away from Enterprise, but I'm not sure the portrayal of Trip's personality stood up so well away from familiar settings. He never seemed as worried about his friend's fate as I would imagine. And my one major complaint is that Ensign Hoshi Sato has lost her surname somewhere! I always question a book that can't get a major character's name correct.
Still Trip's back story about working on the Daedalus project was intriguing and the plot has a few twists that I honestly didn't see coming.
I will definately be buying the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 17 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Enterprise: Daedalus (Star Trek) (Mass Market Paperback)
The book is written from Trips point of view throughout. I thought this was an interesting way of doing it, and definitely a new style for Trek books, as far as I can recall.
The one minor drawback to the book is that it ends on a huge cliffhanger and we don't get the resolution until 1st May! But that's only a drawback if you're impatient like me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Held off reading this for seven years - it deserved more, 27 Aug. 2010
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enterprise: Daedalus (Star Trek) (Mass Market Paperback)
I've had this book for several years, probably since it was published [seven years according to Amazon], but until now had not got around to reading it. I soon found out why.

The book focuses on Trip Tucker, as Enterprise and its crew are captured by an alien dictator who seemingly appears out of nowhere while they are investigating a spatial anomaly. Trip manages to evade capture only to find himself being drawn into the local war.

The style of writing is horrendous in its simplicity. I found it really hard to focus on the words and found I was only skim reading the entire novel, something I've never known to happen before. It's writing in a very casual manner, almost like a first draft where the author is just bashing out whatever comes to mind rather than caring about how it comes across.

I found the absence of the other main characters annoying. I like ensemble pieces from my star trek novels, and even Hoshi (who is misnamed throughout as Ensign Hoshi rather than Ensign Sato) who seems to be tagging along for the ride is soon conveniently written out. The romance sub-plot feels unnecessary and in there only to pad out the length, and the main plot itself is filled with thinly veiled coincidences. Its most redeeming feature is the end, which gives a nice 'ah-ha moment' and a lot of earlier things start to click into place. It almost makes up for some of the really bad science from earlier.

Overall I have to say I was disappointed. I'm not sure how I'm going to bring myself to read part two. This came over as a badly thought through and badly written implementation of what could have been a nice idea.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty hollow, 15 Sept. 2008
Rory Q (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enterprise: Daedalus (Star Trek) (Mass Market Paperback)
The Enterprise books up to this point in the series haven't been particularly groundbreaking, and this book is no exception.

Trip is a very large part of the story... Trip IS the story. Having said this though, I felt like Dave Stern doesn't really know how the character works. It could be any character delivering his speech. And the majority of the main characters are absent for a good 300 pages of the book. The introduction of so many supporting characters was a trick used in By The Book, as the series had only just started and the authors didn't really have a feel for the characters, and it directly affected how I enjoyed that book. This was written after the show had been on for 2 years, and yet still, we're greeted with practically all new characters, except for Trip and Hoshi. Hoshi herself seems to have lost her surname again, which is pretty poor research on the author's part.

Another mention in the "poor research" category goes to the fact that Enterprise is quoted as having "photon torpedoes" towards the end of the book. This is at a point in the series before even "photonic" torpedoes had made an appearance.

Daeadalus itself is a pretty poor plot device. At first the Suliban cell-ship brings up memories of Trip's time on the Daeadalus project. These memories then disappear until the actual crew put in an appearance.

And then the major point of the story is revealed, and the book ends on a cliffhanger...

This major plot point was something that had me groaning, as it's a tired idea, and has to be properly handled... which judging by this book, I don't feel it was.

Another thing that drove me to distraction with this book is the writer's actual style. Rather than use commas, practically every sentence is split by hyphens - as way of explaining what the author is talking about - which really started to affect my enjoyment of the book.

To be honest, I didn't really enjoy this one, as nothing much really happens, but given that it's a two parter, I have to read the second part now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Star Trek Novel, 4 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Enterprise: Daedalus (Star Trek) (Mass Market Paperback)
I was actually a little bit confused at first regarding this book as I had assumed prior to reading the blurb that this book would actually be based on the "Enterprise" TV episode of the same name. However, this is not the case and both stories are entirely different from each other which wasn't an issue to me as I actually prefer an original novels to a novelization of an episode.

The story itself mainly follows the antics of Commander Tucker after an investigation into an anomaly leaves the Enterprise crippled before then being attacked and captured by an alien species known as the Denar. Tucker manages to escape alongside Ensign Sato and they are then both rescued by a group calling themselves the Guild who are at war with the very people who attacked the Enterprise. The Guild request Trip's assistance in the form of technological help in return for them helping him find and rescue the Enterprise and its crew. Trip of course is a bit wary about helping too much after previous experiences in influencing less advanced species, but when a further discovery related to his past results in his world being turned upside down, it becomes harder for him to refuse to help.

The first thing I need to say is that this is probably the best Enterprise novel I have read so far although there hasn't been much competition. I found the plot to be simple but interesting, the characters were engaging and there was enough action and plot twists to keep me entertained from start to finish. Now, it isn't what someone would call a classic Science Fiction novel by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it will be a fun read for anyone who was a fan of the show.

In regards to the characters, this book is pretty much all about Trip. The bulk of the storyline is basically built around him although Hoshi is around as well, but her role is hugely limited as well, which I found rather reminiscent of the TV series. That is really about it though in regards to the other crewmembers, a few odd appearances but nothing else, Stern spends more time developing and showcasing his own original Denari characters instead. Personally, I quite enjoyed seeing the development of some interesting and original characters, but it would have also been nice to see a little bit more from the other Enterprise crewmembers in regards to their own predicament.

I have to say that the ending itself was a little bit of a let down due to its cliff hanger nature. There is no real closure when you complete the novel, you basically have to read the sequel "Daedalus's Children" to find out what happens. It annoyed me a little as "Daedalus" wasn't the longest of novels I have read in the Star Trek Universe and it felt to me like the book was split into two parts as a money making idea to fleece the fans some more.

In summary this is a very enjoyable Enterprise novel that had me hooked to the point that I just abandoned my reading list and picked up the sequel as soon as I finished. I will add that as with many other Star Trek books I have read, this book is unlikely to really appeal to someone who isn't normally interested in the show, but any fans should hopefully find something to pique their interest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, Awful, Awful, Awful, Awful, Awful, Awful, Awful,, 4 April 2009
This review is from: Enterprise: Daedalus (Star Trek) (Mass Market Paperback)
Suffers from several flaws inherant to star trek books.

*Author concentrates on the science rather than the plot and characters.
Several plot strands are unresolved left dangling or merely abandoned.

*Our heroes say things the author thinks is in keeping with thier character but jar really badley with the established perameters of the crew.

*In order to scratch thier name into the Canon of star trek the author makes up a new race.This race is always ill defined and with poorly thought out motivations.

*The reset button is always used as this novel can have no real effect on
the arc of the show so is utterly pointless

Please avoid

1.0 out of 5 stars A Trip on the Not So Wild Side, 30 Dec. 2003
A. M. Horton (Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enterprise: Daedalus (Star Trek) (Mass Market Paperback)
As TV books go this wasn't too bad, it was certainly better than any of the previous Enterprise books so far. However, that's nothing to boast about. There were a few twists that kept the book going along. This book centres around Trip Tucker who has got to be one of Enterprise's favourite and much loved characters (he's my favourite that's for sure). However I found the Trip in this book to be almost a stranger to me. Though the author mentioned situations from the series that involved Trip, eg. "Cogenitor". I don't think the author actually knew anything about Enterprise's Chief Engineer and I found this made the book very sterile to read and I could have been reading in essence about anyone. Though the most annoying thing about this book is that it is part 1 and I now have to wait until next May to find out how it ends. In conclusion, read this book only if you are a devoted Trekkie/Trekker like myself, otherwise you'll be disappointed and left wanting.

Enterprise: Daedalus (Star Trek)
Enterprise: Daedalus (Star Trek) by Dave Stern (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Jan. 2004)