4.0 out of 5 stars Relevance of the concerns over climate change
I had sought out this book as I discovered it was the ideas pool for the DVD "The Day after Tomorrow"
Published on 17 Feb 2010 by Mr. D. Beale

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing.
OK, so I'm a scientist by background so maybe I expect a bit more than a pretty short paperback can provide, but this just feels like it is going somewhere really important but then kind of peters out into nothing. It's like trying to get to "Wally World" and finding it's shut for the Summer.
I agree with the comments on the pseudo science. Maybe this was dumbed down...
Published on 26 Jan 2005 by J. Buckle

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing., 26 Jan 2005
J. Buckle "buckello" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Coming Global Superstorm (Mass Market Paperback)
I agree with the comments on the pseudo science. Maybe this was dumbed down for the masses, but in the end it kind of meets nobody's needs. There are some fascinating ideas in the book which is why I give it 2 stars, but no substance or background.
The interwoven "edge of your seat" fictional story is really just irritating by the middle of the book. Infact no, it's just pants from the start. Even if the science behind the ideas was cranky and outlandish, I'd have preferred it if the authors spent more time explaining where they got their research and ideas from rather than glib comments explaining that "a scientist somewhere thinks something really bad could happen" etc. etc. Most books dealing with climate change acknowledge the fact that it is all conjecture, after all there isn't even a reliable climate model let a lone a computer capable of running it, and they leave the reader to make their own minds up.
I read this book with an open mind, but I'm afraid it failed me. At the end of it I felt no better informed than the beginning, I know a few more of the "possibilities" of what our future could hold but nothing of the likelihood of any of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book, slightly spoilt by psueo-science, 19 Sep 2004
A. K. Johnston "(www.andrewj.com/books)" (LEATHERHEAD United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Coming Global Superstorm (Mass Market Paperback)
This book, which sired the recent blockbuster "The Day After Tomorrow", is a well-written and accessible analysis of how global warming may lead to not gradual but catastrophic climate change, potentially destroying much of our current civilisation. Given how the powerful fossil fuel lobby, led by the current US administration, seems determined to ignore such risks to ensure their own short-term profits, it is essential that books such as this exist and are able to present a discussion of wider considerations.
The core of the book is a straightforward presentation of the known facts about global warming, its measured effects on the polar ice sheets, and how that may indirectly cause the failure of the Gulf Stream plunging much of the northern hemisphere into a much colder climate. Worryingly some early warning signs suggest that this may already be starting.
The book then presents a combination of scientific explanations and fictionalised accounts which suggest that such change might not be gradual, but might take the form of a protracted global storm of several weeks' duration and unprecedented ferocity. If this happened in the summer the aftermath would be flooding of biblical proportions. If it happened during the winter it would plunge the world into another ice age.
The authors quote recent scientific evidence suggesting that exactly this happened towards the end of the last ice age, and suggest that the physical evidence is supported by this being an explanation for the biblical flood, a myth shared by many separate cultures.
If the book focused only on these areas it would deliver a clear, powerful message. Unfortunately the authors weaken their message somewhat by also trying to link in some pseudo-scientific stuff about a lost civilisation destroyed by the last such event sending us a message through the zodiac. This is based on the totally discredited ideas of people like Graham Hancock, and sadly taints what is otherwise a reasonable extension of current mainstream science with an unworthy "lunatic fringe" component.
It would have been better to structure the book starting with a very direct account of the proven science, leading into a well-marked extrapolation discussing the "superstorm" concept (using both factual and fictional elements), and ending with the excellent "what can we do" sections. All the pseudo-science rubbish should have been dumped. This would have created a work whose important ideas would have been much more widely appreciated.
I recommend this book, but encourage other readers to apply the filtering that the authors weren't able to impose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relevance of the concerns over climate change, 17 Feb 2010
Mr. D. Beale (Adelaide, South Australia) - See all my reviews
The movie was important as it showed the remarkable connection of Climate change to the abuse of the ecosystem where we are as a planet creating more CO2 than the ecosystem can recycle. Years later from the movie's release one can only hope that the revenge of Mother nature will no be so violent. The book enabled me to recap the lessons. Living in Australia may make one feel a bit further away from the northern hemisphere's greater land mass and potential for polluting the air we breathe. But even here the recirculatory current has an effect and does so with ravenous bushfires, hotter extended summers, droughts, less water when and where you used to see it, etc.
I would recommend the book and video to anyone and add a proviso to it that even if.... the effects of nature's revolt was only 30% , we still have a lot to fear.
David Beale, South Australia

4.0 out of 5 stars Torn in two directions, 23 May 2007
This review is from: The Coming Global Superstorm (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, this book was obviously written with a view to making a film, which it did...'The Day After Tomorrow'. Films rights are huge carrots to book authors and you can't blame them for trying. It was not a scientific book doomed for a dusty shelf in a university so I found it very readable and thought provoking. I have talked about it endlessly and many of my friends have subsequently bought it. Whether you believe it or do anything differently is up to you. When I hear that China is building five new power stations every WEEK, then I wonder what my futile efforts to slow or stop global warming and the threat of such a storm might be!

5.0 out of 5 stars The coming global superstorm and Day after tomorrow: both good, but different!, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Coming Global Superstorm (Mass Market Paperback)
I have just finished reading "The coming global superstorm" and it was very good. I just could not stop reading.

Art Bell e Whitley Strieber have married their skill as journalists, what makes the text easy to ready, fast to absorb and the intense research they must have made to write this book, make it credible. I would say that this is a book in which scientific data is explained in a pleasant way. Its straight to the point.

I have watched the movie: "Day after tomorrow" before I read the book and I expect to see all the characters from the movie and the exact timeline of it in the book. If you expect that you will be frustrated. But in the end, both, book and movie, are very nice but in very different ways. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An engaging read., 11 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This book manages to combine a technical analysis of weather patterns with a fictional acount of a global superstorm, adding a sense of realism to the book. At times it can sound slightly melodramatic, but it is obviously well-researched, and is an engaging book. Well worth reading, whether or not you have previous knowledge of the subject matter.

ARRAY(0xa2f31aec)

The Coming Global Superstorm
The Coming Global Superstorm by Whitley Strieber (Mass Market Paperback - 4 May 2004)
4.18