on 5 March 2003
This isn't a bad diet cookbook but it's a lousy cookbook if you remove the qualifier of 'diet' cookbook.
It's American in the extreme and I could create much better low-carb recipes by just slightly adjusting my normal cooking. With the re-iterance of the rules of Atkins taking up three chapters at the beginning and pitifully few creative recipes (many of which depends on special products which would have to be ordered on-line) it smacks somewhat of 'let's sell yet another Atkins book to the low-carbing public'
If you're looking for a good value low-carb cookbook then in complete contrast I would recommend Fran McCullough's low-carb cookbook. This is a genuinely good cookery book. She's a food editor and it shows - her's is a book that contains recipes you would choose to use even if you were not on a low-carb program! I very strongly recommend her book instead of this one. It contains truly useful diet tips like what to eat if you are craving a certain type of food i.e. crunchy, salty, sweet or mashed potato and she gives dinner party and special occasion recipes that friends would never know were low-carb.
0Comment| 433 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2002
The Atkins Diet is great and this follow-up recipe book is OK....my only complaint is that this book, as the orange book did before it, assumes foods like lobster, crab and swordfish are within the reach of your average dieter...admittedly the Cookbook is a bit more down to earth than the orange book, but is still aimed at the American market (and therefore all the measurements are in 'cups') meaning that it's not so ideal for UK dieters who will find it hard to get hold of some of the ingredients without blowing the week's housekeeping on one meal. There are some great low-carb websites out there with squillions of free recipes - my advice would be to save your money and search the Net first and if you can't still find what you're looking for, THEN buy the book :)
0Comment| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2003
Atkins gets a lot of bad press, but when all is said and done his diet really works, and it works really fast. Atkins explains why he thinks it works, and his theory sounds plausable. But who cares, it works.
I suffered from a lot of stress, or hypertension before this diet. That has all gone, I no longer get sugar cravings, (i.e. shivering for no reason), mood swings, sudden hunger or faintness. And I got all this when I was not on a diet.
Now that I am doing Atkins (not all that strictly), I feel fantastic. Do not believe the bad press this book gets. This guy gets screwed because of his induction phase. But even he admits that induction is not healthy for long term, and he does not recommend this as a lifetime change, just a short kick start to a fat burning mechamnism.
I almost forgot to mention, I did get this book to lose weight, and I did. Its just that the other benefits I got seem to far outweigh the actual weight loss.
Don't be tempted to get info on Atkins from the Internet, there is enough rubbish on this guy out there. Read from the source.
Get this book if you want to diet, get this book if you do not feel 100% and you suspect diet (I mean an eating plan) could help.
on 5 February 2001
I have friends whose colesterol has reduced dramatically after only one month on the diet. I lost 30lbs in 12 weeks and have not put any of the weight back on. Dr Atkins recipies are delicious, 'fit for a king' as the diet book points out. Using these recipies as part of the Dr Atkins diet results in no hunger pangs between meals and plenty of energy, no more 3 in the afternoon energy loss. I highly recommend the diet and the recipes.
on 12 February 2004
This book has had some slating in some reviews, but it is now one of my most used cook books. I've been an avid atkins follower for 4 months now and bought this as I was getting tired of steak and salad but didn't want to spend hours preparing meals.
There are some great recipes in this book, and they are all quick and dead easy to make. Some of the weight conversions can be baffling, but if you go to [...] they have a US to UK weight conversion so you can work it all out. Each recipe also breaks down your carb count so you can keep an eye on what you are eating.
It doesn't have the most extensive variety of recipes in the book, but with this one, its quality more than quality. Definitely worth a go if you plan to stick with the Atkins (or other low carb diets)
on 22 February 2003
If you are a serious 'atkins-head' with the time and inclination to painstakingly "finely chop macademia nuts", then this is the book for you. Packed with mouthwateringly good recipes for those die hard atkins fans who are sick to the back teeth of the bacon, burger and beef combo!
Relish the 'Garlic Rosemary Beef Rib Roast', delight in the 'Duck Breasts with Blackberry Wine Sauce'. If you think that these recipes sound like hard work - you're right! Most of the recipes take more preperation than cooking. Added to which, you may have to shop around for ingredients. I can't remember seeing 'pumpkin spice' in my local supermarket and I really can't be bothered to look!
For those with a sweet tooth toying with the idea of Atkins Diet - do not despair! This book provides a multitude of sugar (substitute!) packed recipes. Chocolate truffles (yum), Italian Almond Cream (yipee) and Banana Custard (yikes).
My advice?
If Atkins is your 'thang' you need this book to break the low-carb monotony!
If you are happy to endure the hell that is induction just to drop those extra pounds you have been carrying since the Christmas carb-fest - don't bother!
on 5 April 2000
I think the amazon review misses the point with this book. Excess Insulin production and Insulin resistance are thought to be the prime causes of heart disease and high cholestoral levels in the Western world. Follow the low carbohydrate diet that is a companion to this book, and your cholestoral will fall - quickly! If you need to loose weight as well, try cutting down the fat content in some of the recipes a little.
on 3 June 1999
I am now entering my 7th week of the diet and to date I have lost 5 kilos. I have not suffered any hunger during the diet which I found very satisfying since all dieting problems resulted in hunger.
on 17 November 2002
I was a bit sceptical when i heard about the atkins diet so i thought i would buy the book and give it a try. Ive only been on the diet using the recipes in this cookbook for 2 weeks and i have already lost 13 pounds with a very noticable difference!!! Ive also found myself full of energy too! This cookbook is a really good buy!! and great value!
on 9 December 2002
No one that I speak to believes that this diet could possible work. It Does! You don't feel hungry, you don't have to count calories and you see effective results in a short time. All other diets leave you miserable and obsessing about food. You miss sauces, but you can find low/carb-free alternatives by shopping on the Internet. Go for it.