4.0 out of 5 stars sad but uplifting, 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: Abide with Me (Paperback)
Elizabeth Strout never disappoints. She has the knack of getting right inside people's heads and characters and you see them clearly, warts and all.
She has her own style so you have to "slow down" and go at her gentle pace. One is always rewarded in full. This is the third book I have read by this author. For me her stories are compelling, moving and compassionate. I just love reading about her characters which are so real - we all know people like them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow burner, 25 Dec 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Paperback)
This is a beautifully placed slow burner. The characters are drawn in clear detail, and the story, of a minister in small town USA and his small daughter, is fascinating. I have been recommending this as an intelligent story, but not at all hard to read. Shall be buying her other book now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Humane and touching examination of married life, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Abide With Me (Kindle Edition)
This is my first Elizabeth Strout novel - I look forward to reading more. I found the story of the well-meaning hail-fellow-well-met minister & the unwitting effects this can have on the family of professional "care-givers" extremely well-observed and perceptive. Marvellous characterisation all round & very humane examination of the flaws within all of us. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth Strout knows things, 9 Nov 2013
Ms. S. E. Edgar "sue edgar" (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abide With Me (Kindle Edition)
This is a truly great read. Funny, kind, beautiful, painful, uplifting - and stunningly well written. I can't get enough of Elizabeth Strout.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 19 Nov 2012
D. Lawry (Adelaide, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abide with Me (Paperback)
I found this to be a lovely book. Elizabeth Strout is a very strong writer and this book has a lot of depth to it. The characters are well drawn and the story is subtle and fairly slow paced but there is a lot to it and I became quite immersed in it. Ultimately, it is also a pretty touching book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am reading all of this wonderful writer's books after enjoying Olive Ketteridge so much, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Abide with Me (Paperback)
I am reading all of this wonderful writer's books after enjoying Olive Ketteridge so much. The book was recommended to me and I was amazed at the skill of the writer and how quickly I became involved with the characters. She is an amazing writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely book, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Abide With Me (Kindle Edition)
I have now read all of Elizabeth Strout's books, and in my humble opinion she is one of the best writers of modern fiction I have had the privilege to read. I so look forward to her next book and hope that it won't be long.

Abide with Me
Abide with Me by Elizabeth Strout (Paperback - 4 Jun 2007)