1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars So disapointing!, 27 Jun. 2005
Alison Wunderlan (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoax (Mass Market Paperback)
I could hardly believe it! All the previous books under Robert K Tanenbaum's name in this series have been wonderful - I've loved the humour and well-written stories, where the characters reveal themselves to us by their words, thoughts and actions. But this one was scarcely recognisable as being in the same series. The style was atrocious. We were told what to think about everybody, as if the author didn't trust himself to convey characterisation through apt description - or as if he didn't trust the readers to draw inferences themselves. Instead of the interesting moral ambivalence of the characters in the earlier novels, we had people who were entirely (& implausibly) either angels or devils. It was only after I'd grudgingly finished this book that I read on the internet that the previous novels in this series had been 'ghosted' by Tanenbaum's cousin Michael Gruber, who recently split with Tanenbaum to go and write under his own name. So whether this one is by Tanenbaum himself at last, or by another ghost writer, the change is painfully clear. I won't be reading the next 'Tanenbaum' offering, that's for sure!

Hoax
Hoax by Robert Tanenbaum (Mass Market Paperback - 15 Aug. 2005)