Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 14 April 2010
It is to the credit of Ann Rule that despite a very basic writing style marred by the author's moral judgments (opining that a victim's libido killed him, not the nutter he dumped), I can't put her books down. She has a great nose for a fascinating story. I polished this one off in two days. It's a bit of a shame that these tales are told in terms of black & white: saintly cops (not to mention sensitive newsreaders! will wonders never cease?) against evil killers. A more objective viewpoint would have earned five stars.

And like a Cadbury's Dairy Box the stories don't stay with you for long - I always have to read the blurbs on the back of the books to make sure I'm not reading one I've read already. I wouldn't read several Rule books one after another; true crime is sordid and banal and depressing, unlike its more fanciful, layered counterpart, crime fiction. Defo a writer for the waiting room, the airport, or insomniac nights - if you don't live alone.
on 6 July 2007
The stories in the book are well researched, well detailed and very well written. She knows how to keep your attention and there's not a single boring moment in it. When reading the book, it's like watching a crime programm on television thanks to the attention to detail and the way it's written. Pictures of the murderers and their victims make the book complete.
It's my first book of Ann Rule and I will definitely order more of her books.

If you like true crime, you will like this book!
on 31 January 2006
Well researched and well written, by the queen of true crime. The detail within is uncanny and deserves credit, another one for my bookshelf.
on 1 February 2016