4.0 out of 5 stars Different again
Published on 4 Jan. 2011 by DB

3.0 out of 5 stars Average new outing for the Prisoner
Published 18 months ago by Marcia

4.0 out of 5 stars Different again, 4 Jan. 2011
DB "davidbirkett" (Co. Kildare, Ireland (but born & raised Liverpool, UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prisoner (Paperback)
In spite of the picture of Ian McKellan on the front the book has nothing to do with the Jim Caviezel series. It was written shortly after the Patrick McGoohan series originally aired and has a lot more to do, in terms of both narrative and philosophy, with Portmeirion than Namibia. But it isn't really a book of the original series either. You don't get a new Number 2 in every chapter, there are no penny-farthings, and the ending is completely different, with much more of a science fiction flavour. But even so, a good read for Prisoner fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average new outing for the Prisoner, 24 Oct. 2013
Marcia "marcia" (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Prisoner (Paperback)
I had this book on my Kindle so that I could use the "text to speech" audio function like other Kindle books. However unlike any other Kindle book I have had I found that after purchase the text to speech function on the Kindle would not work and the instruction that text to speech was "not available on this book". Being partially sighted this was a let down. However I did try to read the book and although only a short story it took me ages.
The book itself is average. On a positive note it does offer a new story for any fan of the original TV series. (But it isn't very inspiring as a story so don't expect too much.) It does take us back into the world of the village though and it does keep to the original version of the series with a story where Number six is taken back to the village with no memory and gradually finds out the truth about what happened the first time he was there.
The picture on the front cover of Ian McKellen from the revised series of the prisoner has no place here since this is a sequel additional story to the original Patrick McGoohan series so don't be put off or won over by that picture.
Generally I found the book disappointing. I would say that unless you are keen to collect everything associated with the original series, don't bother. Otherwise its worth a look but don't expect to much.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Prisoner, 10 July 2011
This review is from: The Prisoner (Kindle Edition)
Firstly I would like to state that I am an avid fan of the original series. I have the boxed set etc. But I have to say I struggled with this book (kindle version). I kept re-reading chapters as I found it difficult to absorb. Needless to say I just didn't enjoy it and was glad when I finally finished it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me want to watch the show again., 25 April 2015
This review is from: The Prisoner (Kindle Edition)
For those who don't know, this is the book based on the British TV series from the sixties starring Patrick McGoohan, and just like the TV show it's a mishmash of sci-fi, spy thriller and psychological thriller. It's also quite surreal in places.

I've not seen the TV show for a long time, so my memory of it was quite hazy going into this book, though I think this may have been a good thing. There were a few places in the book where I got more than a little wrapped up trying to remember if the scene I'd just read appeared in the show, and almost as many places where I was convinced a given scene played out differently. Fortunately this wasn't enough to affect my enjoyment of the book in any way.

The narrative itself is mostly told from the point of view of Number Six, though there are a few occasions where the point of view changes to give the reader a little 'insider information'. We never get to know the protagonist's real name, or even his real occupation, though it's a fair bet that he is a spy of some sort, probably working for the British government. Likewise, we're never really clued in on who runs the Village where most of the action takes place. In fact, the author does such a fine job of twisting the narrative around on it's own head that for much of the novel I wasn't even sure if what I was reading was actually taking place for the characters or just some dream or hallucination they happen to be caught up in, particularly during the section where Number Six appears to have escaped the Village.

All in all I found this to be a fun read, and now I want to watch the show again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read with interest, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Prisoner (Kindle Edition)
Having watched the original series I wanted to read the book of the same name. It had similarities, but I found it a very heavy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Number 6 is back., 6 Jan. 2010
Continuing directly after, or at least some time after "Fallout" this book takes us and No.6 right back to The Village again; and right back into the scheming and plotting of No.6's life there. From the first pages the dialogue and prose are delivered in the precise, clipped and highly observant terms that we come to associate with No.6 and as such it forms a provocative and compelling read. The tension builds beautifully through the piece and we are (as always) kept guessing until the very last minute of the story. Being only 160 -odd pages this novel could easily have fitted in as an episode of the original series, and indeed was as enjoyable as the best of the episodes; all that was missing was the slamming door sound as I read the last line of book. There are also some revelations (or are there?) released through the story, but then again who knows. Is anything as it appears in The Village?
Incidentally, this novel is written by David McDaniel alone, not with Thomas M. Disch as is listed here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Prisoner (Kindle Edition)
Bought as my fist 'Kindle' e-book and as such a good introduction to this format.
The book takes place post the original series with Number 6 returning against his will to the village,amnesia means his first visit is forgot but through delving into the archives of the village Number 6 becomes aware that he has been here before, this also offers a further link to prior episodes although the book itself acts as a stand alone piece of work.
There is a episodic nature to the chapters and yet ultimately they all link to a ending which is a proper ending despite not answering any questions that are raised in the TV series,the ending is less obscure than the TV series and ultimately the book works as a kind of latter day 1984.
Far better than 'TV tie in' suggests

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest TV series seems garlanded with some really awful book tie ins - bar this one, 29 Jun. 2014
P. J. Dunn "Peter Dunn" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prisoner (Paperback)
Books based on TV series tend to have a major hill to climb and those based on The Prisoner even more so. One of the finest TV series ever made seems garlanded with some really awful book tie ins. This however is the best of them but you expect that from an author as good as Disch.

The Prisoner
The Prisoner by Thomas M. Disch (Paperback - 15 July 2002)
Used & New from: £0.55