5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from start to finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from start to finish, 16 Sep 2008
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Paperback)
I loved this book, it hooks from the very beginning right to the end. Patrick Redmond has a wonderful writing style that really keeps you turning the pages. It is the story of Ronnie, the illegitimate son of a young orphan girl; they live with relatives who make them feel unwelcome, and Susan, a young girl fom a loving family, whose father dies when she is a child, leaving her as prey for her future stepfather, who abuses her.
Sounds a bit depressing but it's not, it's just absorbing, absolutely riveting, and very very sad.
It's not your standard story of an abused child though, far from it, this is a pyschological thriller. Ronnie is basically pretty disturbed, he's out for revenge on anyone who wrongs him or his loved ones, and his revenge can be murder. Susan is drawn to Ronnie and they become teenage sweethearts, but of course it all ends in a shattering climax.
Brilliant. What has happened to this author though? I can only find four of his books, and the last of those was a couple of years ago, even his website is fairly out of date. Does he not write any more? If not, what a great shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book!!!, 31 Jan 2004
D., Ralph "douglas2161" (Köln) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Paperback)
Patrick Redmond writes with emotions.This book will touch your heart. Ich read all books of him in English and German Language but this is my favorite book. I read it to the end and read it once again because it was so good.
It is ghastly as the count of Monte Christo and so sad as Les Miserables.
I hope that Patrick Redmond will write more books.
Greetings from Germany

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, 10 Sep 2006
Catherine Brannigan (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Paperback)
I like this book a lot, and was completely drawn in to the characters, especially those of Ronnie and his mother. An intriguing story of psychological mind games, obsessive love and secrets that should never be told!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Kindle Edition)
Gripping storyline, as usual Patrick Redmond did not let me down! He is am amazing author and this book was fantastic. I really felt like I was part of the characters. they were all so real and could easily get into the story. I was a bit sad to be finished though. I have one more of his books to read, then I am hoping more will be coming out soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good architecture, but it lacks flesh, 8 Jan 2007
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Paperback)
This novel has all the plot and details it needs to be a great story. Intricate circumstances that are mostly believable even if at times rather extreme. There is also a lot of pathos, empathy and compassion. The story of two generations of young people, the first generation becoming grownups, the fathers and mothers of the second generation. The first remark here is that the two younger ones, a boy and a girl, a daughter and a son, are both deprived of their fathers, by different circumstances but the result is the same. This is a characteristic that reveals something about the imagination of the author. The boy is deprived of his father even before birth, a soldier on the way to the front in 1944. The daughter is deprived of hers by his sudden death when she is seven, in front of her eyes due to a massive heart attack. The two mothers have one single problem : to survive and both will reach the same solution : to get married for one and remarried for the other. In the first case it will be with a good man. In the second case with a despicable man. But the only objective was wealth both for themselves and for their children, though it seems to be more for the son than the mother in one case, and definitely for the mother more than the daughter in the other case. The whole book is thus the detailed stories of these two children who become teenagers. The daughter will live on her recollection of her father and suffer the stepfather who is abusing her sexually as long as she is a child. He stops when she gets into puberty. The son will survive with relatives who despise his mother and exploit and humiliate her. What is amazing is that both will develop a killing instinct, in the daughter's case to protect those she loves, and in the son's case to get even with those who make him or those he loves suffer, including by killing an innocent child if necessary. It is possible, for sure, but rather extreme and kind of rather schematic as an explanation : the absent father is an easy and convenient explanation that does not convince many people any more. The real criminal mind has been deprived of his father from birth and raised by his humiliated mother in a constant environment of vexations and insults. And yet we find it hard to believe. Something is missing. It is the deeper personal fantasizing that any mental construction needs in order to exist. In other words there is no depth in these characters' psyches because they are only working along some kind of purely logical line. What's more they speak and they live most of the time with other children or teenagers. And there the novel becomes unbelievable. The children and the teenagers speak the same language as the narrator, as the author, mainly an adult language in perfect oxfordian syntax. And that makes the story cold, even distant. We do not feel these kids, and yet the situations and events should create a lot of pathos, and it does not as much as it could have done. Which explains why the end seems rather artificial. A teenager does not commit suicide out of a whim and certainly not because it follows a logical line. The suicide has been built into the teenager by cicumstances and has been constructed by the consciousness or un-consciousness of the child over many years. A suicide is always the result of a desperate situation but also and at the same time of a long process that makes the child, teenager or adult responsive to the desperate situation that then can trigger the attempt. And that is totally absent from the book. Some may think or say that a suicide can be the result of a very intense and short-lived crisis. This is totally false because only those who have integrated a suicidal tendency and personality will respond that way, and a suicidal personality is in a way the bodydouble that lives behind your own self all along, speaking to your own self and interacting with him, till the crisis comes and then the bodydouble takes over and strikes. Never Ronnie has the beginning of a starting point of such a double personality, of a secret shadow of his public self. It is not enough to be secretive, if he is. In fact someone who is everything but secretive can be suicidal. The second layer of his personality will be kept totally secret and invisible and most people will never know about it. That's the depth that is lacking in all these characters, along with the language of their psyches and age. That's unlucky because once again the plot and events are quite rich and acceptable. It could have been an extremely poignant novel. It is just a good story.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University of Paris Dauphine & University of Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne

3.0 out of 5 stars too much of a good thing, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Kindle Edition)
I have made a mistake by reading too many of his books in short succession.Individually they are quite riveting,but when you've read three or four you see the underlying,impossible theme of psychopathic,unbelievable,manipulating or alternatively incredibly good looking and noble people,you get this feeling that it's all nonsense,you've never met anybody remotely like the people populating his books,and therefore I am calling a halt to reading them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Kindle Edition)
I’ve now read all five of Patrick Redmond’s books and this one ranks alongside “The Replacement” as my absolute favourites. It follows the lives of Ronnie and Susie; two children growing up in post war Britain, struggling to survive in a world full of neglect and abuse. But neither will allow themselves to be victims and when they finally meet then it’s time for the guilty to start paying…

I just couldn’t put this book down! It’s completely gripping, extremely moving – I was in tears more than once – and the ending, which as with Patrick’s other books I didn’t see coming, was absolutely terrific. Apple of My Eye is a riveting story, brilliantly told, and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great psychological thriller, full of surprises!, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished reading this about ten minutes ago, and my heart is still racing. Wow, what a great ending. I think I held my breath for the last 20 pages or so, absolutely gripping! The whole book was amazing, the characters were so real, and as I'm finding with all of Patrick Redmond's books - they all have ways of surprising me. This was full of twists and turns, and shocks, and I loved it!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars An average thriller, 24 Mar 2014
james connolly (LOCHGELLY, Fife, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Kindle Edition)
Not as gripping as other P Redmond offerings. Somewhat predictable in parts, it would appeal mainly to female mystery fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good novel though sad undertone,, 16 Feb 2014
H "hp" (cambridge england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Kindle Edition)
I do enjoy this authour I loved the puppet show n liked this,it is sad though ,through out both children are faced with cruelty though one more than the other, the sense of unity when they do eventually meet greets the reader with an inner joy that at last they have a kindred soul, however one can sense that tragedy will occur,both grow and evolve when they meet, prepare for something that feels almost Shakespearean just written modern day, it all there, love, death,possessive mothers,unhealthy relationships and foreboding throughout,

Apple of My Eye
Apple of My Eye by Patrick Redmond (Paperback - 5 April 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01