5.0 out of 5 stars An imaginative adventure into a mysterious world of horror.
First published back in 1988, ‘Cabal’ followed the release of the hugely popular novel ‘Weaveworld’. The story turns all our ideas about horror fiction on its head, with Barker’s classic tale of misguided humanity. The tale subtly tackles the conception, misguided judgment and ridicule of views on homosexual community, with the homosexuals...
Published on 23 Mar. 2006 by Chris Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could have been better...
I bought this book after thinking the film Nightbreed, only scratched the service of what could be a really interesting story. Unfortunatley, the book follows almost exactly the same story as the film. This book should have been a tome, maybe even a trilogy, the story could have been sooooo much better.
Published on 24 Mar. 2008 by Mr. K. Richardson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but only the beginning.., 13 May 2002
This review is from: Cabal (Paperback)
Clive Barker wrote this book and drew me into a dark world where persecuted creatures live in fear of red-neck yokels. A frankensteins monster of a book it creates a world where the monsters live in fear of the normal.
A good read- but leaves the end open to a sequel which never actually came. Unfortunate- though i suspect the film Night Breed possibly scared Clive away from making a sequel, fearing similar horrible consequences of the dire film.
A worthy read though lacking closure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too two Dimensional, 11 Sept. 2007
Dan Fox (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cabal (Paperback)
Unlike some of the reviewers here this is the first Barker book I've read. I picked it up in a second hand shop and had vague memories of seeing the film adaptation "Nightbreed" on late night BBC2 so decided to give it a go. I'm no horror aficionardo (I like Stephen King but more for his story telling than anything else, Peter Straub I think has written some good stuff, Dean Koontz I think is dreadful) but I really didn't get on with this.

The writing seems a little flat, the dialogue and descriptive passages uninspired, which is a shame as elements of the story are neat. There are some pretty hackneyed characters, too - licentious, villainous cops, a cross dressing priest - lacking in depth with no real attempt to explain their motives.

That latter criticism holds true of the main villain "Decker" whose behaviour and motives are totally unexplained. The heroes are a bit more rounded but couldn't be said to fully fleshed out by any stretch.

Some of this could be overlooked with a plot that holds your attention or with horror scenes that work well but sadly this book is lacking in these areas, too.I agree with the other reviewer who said that the underworld, Midian, could be explored more fully. Bit of a wasted opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful monster's, 24 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Cabal (Kindle Edition)
One of Barkers most beautiful & intricate stories. Don't know how many times I've read the book. Love it

2.0 out of 5 stars Was I reading the same book as everyone else????, 12 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Cabal (Paperback)
Having read the encouraging amazon reviews and Barker's first novel, I decided to give this one a try. I must say, having expected so much, I was bitterly disappointed. Being such a short book, you'd expect the story to be tight - it isn't. It is very superficial and much of it seems pointless. There is virtually no character development. I only finished this a week ago and I'm struggling to remember what actually happened. There are some good lines, which is why I have given it two stars, but the story is a house of cards. I didn't find it gory or scary - just banal. When I was reading it, I sort of got the feeling that it was one of the first things Barker had written before being publish. Flimsy and third-rate. Avoid it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book , awefull bad movie, 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Cabal (Paperback)
the book is worlds ! ahead of the movie (both cuts)

5.0 out of 5 stars He loved it., 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Cabal (Paperback)
I got this as a present for my son. He loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 Sept. 2014
typical Barker, agood read

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not his best., 14 Jun. 2006
Jek Windsor "jekw23" (China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cabal (Paperback)
I first read Cabal after watching Nightbreed and hearing how it was re-edited to a shadow of its former self. After reading it I gained little insight into the city of Midian. I've yet to read a Barker book I really dislike. Cabal is one of his shorter offerings. When I read the book I really wanted to learn more about Midian in depth, which never happened. You never get really immersed as you do in Weaveworld or Imagica. I got the feeling I only skimmed the surface of Midian. Unfortunately it seems Barker won't be revisiting Midian anytime soon, shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Feb. 2015
Really good Book!

2.0 out of 5 stars to give them a go and see how good they are, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Cabal (Paperback)
I hadn't realise until recently that there are quite a few horror films based upon Clive's books; which is the reason for buying Cabal, to give them a go and see how good they are.

I did find it an interesting read but I felt there was little character development and I was constantly getting confused between characters. Even though the book is a small read, I found it too much of a drag to get through and still struggled to get it done. I give it 2/5 and hope his other books are a better read.

Cabal
Cabal by Clive Barker (Paperback - 29 Jan. 2001)
Used & New from: £1.33