5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!!, 23 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Beauty Like the Night (Sonnet Books) (Mass Market Paperback)
This was one of the first novels by Liz Carlyle I ever read and I'm now proud to say I own ALL of them. You simply can not stop at reading just one. She's like chocolate, only without the somewhat negative side effects!
Story: Helene de Severs, daughter of a very "merry" widow, is sent for by the Earl of Treyhern to care for his daughter. Helene has experience with healing traumatized children, and Arianne needs her help.
When she arrives she is rather shocked when she learns the identity of the earl, and he's as upset as she is because... well, you'll find out when you get the book!
Helping Arianne turns out to be quite a challenge, since it involves dealing with Cam (the earl), his troublesome brother Bentley, the memory of Cam's first wife, ...
Besides feeling the intensity of emotions of the main characters we also get to see inside Arianne's head, we are witness to the brittle relationship between the earl and his brother (we get his story in THE DEVIL YOU KNOW and it's equally compelling!!) and there's a strong element of suspense.
If you're looking for a beautifully written, full, rich, intelligent, emotional, sexy novel, you can NOT go wrong with Liz Carlyle!! There's a reason she's my favorite author!!
Other recommends: anything else she ever wrote, especially A woman of virtue, No true gentleman and Bentley's book

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!!, 11 Jun 2009
A few months ago I discovered Liz Carlyle and read my first one out of order of writing. Since then I started again from her first one and have loved every one of them; Beauty Like the Night was so very enjoyable and the pages seethe with pent up emotions that have burned for years. I also appreciated that once Camden had sorted his head out he was strong enough to follow his heart. Lovely!! Strength in a man is so becoming.

Although I had the story pegged from quite early on I thought the writing concerning Ariane was excellent. Also, having read the book that links all the people in this book later on in 'The Devil You Know' the background was filled in quite nicely.

I love the way that Liz Carlyle connects one book with a later one and I love the passion she evokes each time. I have quite a few now in my bedside cabinet all waiting to be devoured, in order; I know that I will enjoy every single one.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Regency Romances ever, 21 Oct 2010
This was one of the first of Liz Carlyle's romance novels I read. It was also one of the first Regency Romance novels that had depth and a plausible plot. Many historical romances tend to have a very implausible plot because it is difficult to devise a way to get the romantic couple together in a sexual manner in and era when there was no sex before marriage. But Liz does it well and the story is believable. The characters are well developed and likable even at their worst, the sex scenes are well written and steamy, and the mystery and suspense also plausible and exciting. This is one of the reasons I have been collecting Liz's books ever since. This is one of my favourites of Liz's and I have read it at least three times.

4.0 out of 5 stars not her best, 10 July 2007
Chessy "CHESSY" (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I did find this book mostly enjoyable but having read her 'Two Little Lies' which I found excellent. I found this emotionally lacking and the plot less appealing in comparrison - it didn't capture my nerves and keep me surprisingly engrossed as I expected.
Cam and Helene as the main characters I found weren't as strong, the passion between them seemed too laid back.
Overall it still is a nice read but not one from Liz that will leave you overwhelmed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Liz Carlyle, 23 Sep 2009
Loved this book, plus you get your first introduction to Hell-Bent Rutledge, one of the best heroes ever.

Beauty Like the Night (Sonnet Books)
Beauty Like the Night (Sonnet Books) by Liz Carlyle (Mass Market Paperback - Nov 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01