on 30 April 2006
I am much less depressed, no longer on medication, my earnings have substantially increased, bexause I was able to motivate myself to pass professional exams. I am able to motivate myself much more easily by applying the teachings in this book.

I did it by copying out the book, (typing actually,) and doing all the exercises in it. the process took nine months, but was well worth it. the book gives you loads of tools to make your life happier, more motivated and better. I am into Covey now, but that was only because Robbins suggests you read deeply.

In the foreward, Dr Covan, the chief psychologist of Bellevue hospital says, that if more people read the book, and applied its teachings, many of his colleagues would be out of work, i agree with that.

If there is only one book you buy this year buy this one.
on 21 April 1999
I was so impressed with this book, that I went and purchased EVERY publication that Tony Robbins has published. This book helps you get focused, stay focused, and helps you accomplish any and everything you've every thought possible...and more!!! I've also invested in the 'Personal Power II' CD system, which I also will rate a big "6 Stars" out of 5. Everything that comes from this author is like touching gold!!! I have nothing but recommendations for any of his work! Next on my list to purchase is his 'Power Talk' series.
on 11 June 1998
Anthoy Robbins has written a very good book on how to create change rapidly with NAC. It's better than pure positive thinking. I think a lot of the "fat" could have been taken out and the repeated information from Unlimited Power could have been left out. My only major gripe is Robbins constant self promotion and advertising his "Date with Destiny" and other seminars. He also makes it sound like he invented NAC (actually NLP-Neurolinguilstic Programmng) and that his NAC is somehow better and different than NLP. Overall, I think it's a good book, especially for people unfamiliar with NLP and unlike other NLP books is easy to read. I also highy recommend "7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness" and "The Art of Exceptional Living" by Jim Rohn. "NLP-The New Science of Personal Achievement" by NLP Comphrehensive is one of the best pure NLP books & NO FAT OR HYPE!
on 8 June 1998
While a lot of the material is good and applicable, ROBBINS constant self-promotion,story telling and pitching his overpriced seminars and other programs and products gets a little old. This books size could have been condensed easily by 1/3 to 1/2 by taking the crap out. I tried the NAC techniques and found them to be very superficial and short-lived. If you want real results, check out Brian Tracy's "MAXIMUM ACIEVEMENT" or Marshall Silver's "PASSION, PROFIT & POWER". I don't recommend Robbins nutritional program either. Like NAC, it gives a temporary, false boost. No one I've talked with and this includes nutritional and medical experts support this plan.
on 16 June 2014
Anthony Robbins starts off the book with a view that we can achieve anything we dream of, if we really want to. His aim in the book is to provide tools for doing just that. After outlining the importance of making decisions and the concept that we all move toward pleasure or away from pain, the first part of the book goes through such tools and concepts. These include: beliefs, Neuro-Associative Conditioning, focus and sub-modalities, questions, vocabulary, metaphors, the guidance of emotions, and goals. Part two is about more en bloc changes such as values, identity and references. Part three is call to arms, focusing on a different part of life each day for seven days, Robbins urging you to practise what you have learnt. Part four is a look at the impact one person can have.

The book is great because it provides you with so many tools to use. Not only this, but Robbins' knowledge and zeal is brimming forth on each page. There are numerous anecdotes and stories which make the book even more interesting and even more inspirational. Just reading it makes you feel confident about being more successful, makes you more passionate about life, and makes you want to contribute to others.

However, there are two reservations I had. The first is that, although Robbins provides you with a multitude of tools, at times it feels like he is just throwing them out there, to show what you can change but not necessarily how to do so. Obviously, he gives you exercises, but at times makes references to his seminars or his other book 'Unlimited Power' as places where these tools would be found in a more complete form, which comes across as strong and unnecessary marketing. It would also have been nice to have a systematic program, perhaps focusing on each tool separately or combined as a program, something which the Ten Day Challenge and Part three touched on.

That said, the huge wisdom, experience and potential for growth contained in this book makes it a fantastic and educative read, and I would recommend it to someone interested in self-help.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 1998
If, due to environmental protection , everyone was given the quota of one tree which is equivalent to 400 pages of paper in his whole live, It will be this book for me!!! Before reading the book I was wondering how I was going to put up with the several decades to come after my 23rd birthday, After reading this, I just can't waste a single minuites living (you wonder why I'm typing the review here?:) before, I was pessimistic, after , optimistic; before, self conscious, after, confident. OK, I'm not going to bore you with myself who's a stranger to you whom got nothing to do with you, YOu can find plenty of examples of transformation in his book. but this book really concern you it's the book from heaven.
However, I think it was a book about american way of thinking. it criticised communism and Chinese way of living here and there, being a hongkongese, this is the one thing which i can't agree, apart from that everything else make sense.
I love web surfing and It's on this books I began my book surfing! awaken--> unlimited power ---> bandler --->.....etc... it's teh starter of my life long search for quality
it's a must for everyone.... to quote a sentence from the book(which is itself a quotation in that book) "it's not what happens to you that matters, it's what you interpret what happens.
I hope my book surfing can be somehow supported by :) OR, Anthony will use this as the prologue for his new edition of "Awaken the Giant Within" , well, just kidding actuall I just wanna share with you people how great this book really is.
It's also better than steven covey's "7 rabbits of highly defective people" (just kidding the title, I hope Covey doesn't mind.) well it's a cool book too, but I find Awaken the giant closer to me, Their difference lies in style and practicality, one is rheotic and the other is very user friendly ( you can see how user friendly this is when I, as a foreign reader only use the dictionary 3 or 4 times.) the differenc! e is like that between an OPERA and a MOVIE. I also find this book to be better than unlimited power, for this is more userfriendly and immediately applicable: question, vocabulary ...etc. Well, guess I have to stop now, or else I might end up writing a whole chapter myself.
on 17 June 2014
I bought two, years ago, one for me and one for my wife. I have also been on a Tony Robbins seminar before I moved on. Never regretted my dalliance with his organisation. Apart from it making him rich, it certainly made me rich. I used to tell my friends, buy it, and if you aren't totally impressed after reading the first three chapters, give me the book in excellent condition, and I'll refund your purchase wherever you got it from. Did this thirty times, not one wanted to part with it.

Read it with a notebook, and make notes as you read it. Those notes will be pure gold for you.

PS, Tony Robbins is now offering this free in Kindle, ePub or PDF format on his website, for how long is another matter.
on 27 February 2000
Like a lot of us, for most of the time I feel good and in control. But also like a lot of us , we sometimes need to step back and review where we're going and why. Otherwise we drift along and before we know it life has passed us by. This book can help to evaluate what it is you want and can give you tools to achieve those things. It's only a guide and the onus is on the individual to take action. Nevertheless it can make you stop and think that maybe what you have at the moment is not acceptable or good enough. It's also good for those dark hours when you need a good stern talking to from an objective bystander to get perspective. It certainly touched a few nerves for me and has made me re-evalute things. Check it out-it might be right for you. Why not 5 stars? I guess being British I don't like the american rhetoric too much! It does smack of self promotion for Anthony's other business ventures! It's also a bit repetitive in places although it's also a very easy read. But what the heck- there's plenty of good stuff in here to make up for that. And nothing's ever perfect -is it?
on 29 January 2013
This book starts off really well, with some great advice on motivating yourself, etc, but by halfway I completely lost interest due to the fact he is obviously trying to promote himself and products he wants to sell you. Worth buying as long as you can put up with the sales pitch on a regular basis.
on 16 July 1998
Maybe it's because I've been a fan of the positive mind books for years and am already familiar with self-development techniques---but I really didn't see anything earth shattering in this or in Unlimited Power.
To me, it's a matter of "been there, done that" show me something new with a lasting benefit. And for me the key word is "substance", not promotion.
In modern times, one of the very best in teaching personal development is Stephen Covey. His works are outstanding! No fluff or ads for $3,000 seminars here.
I remember a few years ago when President Clinton hired Anthony Robbins temporarily, a member of the cabinet referred to Robbins as a "charlatan" and that what he represented "is not success". Robbins work was short lived so maybe he had a point!
If you are new to personal development, you may want to read this book. It is a easy read---however, I would rather see you start with "SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY SUCE! ! SSFUL PEOPLE" By Dr. Covey and the timeless classic 'THINK & GROW RICH" by Dr Napolean Hill.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse