on 8 August 2000
After having watched the TV series on sky one I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a book which got the whole Roswell thing started. At first I was worried with it being under childrens books and not teens (although I'm just 21) but then I figured that the TV show was aimed at early teens and attracted a much elder following, mostly in their twenties, so I thought I would give it a try. I do not think this book is mentally challenging, but it so simple to lost in and carried away with that you find that you have to carry on reading no matter what time it is! It is simply fun reading and is the sort of book that made me love reading when I was in my teens and I found it almost comforting that not all books had to be acompanied by a dictionary and thesaurus! I found that ths book was an excellent read for any fan of the show, and with just the right amount of differences to make the reader carry on reading. My plan on buying the book was to find out what happened in the second series of Roswell, (which apparently will go ahead, and is not to be cut like WB announced) this book does not give any clue to the second series it basically sums up what happened in the first episode (The Pilot), except it goes into much more detail on the main characters, and unless you read the book you will never find out what Isabel and Alex are like as the TV show does not give either of them enough screen time. Also the Michael situation is much more understandable in the books than the TV show and you start to think much more of him. This book would please any fan of the show, but beware once you open the book that is it you'll be hooked and you will have to buy the whole series!
on 5 November 2000
I watched two episodes of Roswell High and I was totally hooked! Then my friend bought this book and gave it to me to read, and I thought it was fantastic! She also bought another book in the series, but this was unfortunately Number 4, and now I have to buy 2 and 3. This is a brilliant book and one of the best things about it is that you find out more about the characters then the T.V. program. I totally recommend it!!
on 28 July 2000
Having already seen the TV series, I was pleasantly surprised not only by how different the books were, but how similar as well. Though little details differ here and there, the books put more background into each of the central characters, things that might not have been seen on TV. Both types are unique, I enjoy each in different ways and will definitely continue reading (and watching.)
on 3 April 2016
I was a huge fan of the Roswell television show that aired between 1999 and 2002 and have recently re-watched all three seasons with my eldest son. What I hadn’t realised back in the 90s was how the TV show was based on a series of books. Excited about this discovery I popped over to Amazon and found not one, but ten books.

The Outsider is the first book in the series and introduces us to the main characters and the town of Roswell with its alien conspiracies. I was happy to note that the television show followed the book quite closely. Max Evans saves the life of Liz, a fellow student when she is shot in the stomach. Saving Liz’s life, however, puts him, his sister Isabel, and their friend, Michael in danger, as it exposes their extraterrestrial origin.

The eBook was poorly edited and littered with mistakes but I was still able to follow the story due to the fact I’d watched the show. The point of view jumps around a lot, and I had to re-read certain sections to figure out who was speaking or thinking. If I hadn’t watched the show I might have abandoned the book purely down to the technical aspects, however, this would have been a shame as the characters and story line are very good.

Sheriff Valenti appears to be a much darker character in the book than he was on the show and I think the development of his personality could be interesting to read. The love/hate/like relationship between Isabel, Michael, Maria and Alex is well developed and I can see how this worked so well on the show. Liz and Max embrace the loved up/should we/shouldn’t we teenage couple from every young adult book, and I enjoyed reading how they bonded over time.

The ‘alien’ aspect isn’t overdone and yet there is plenty of scope to develop the sci-fi element over the series.

Would I buy the second book? Yes, I probably will as I did enjoy the story. It was a quick and easy novel based on something I know well. It was the editing that let this down for me and the reason for my 3.5-star rating rather than 4 stars.
on 3 September 2000
WEll the series of roswell high begins before buffy on thursday this week which I love and can't wait to watch it. I read this book and loved it very catchy and how liz and max fall in love it is real cool. I think these books will be a big hit so go out there and read 'em!
on 2 August 2011
Being a 90's child I fell in love with the Roswell tv show. Having watched the entire series numerous times it was really hard to not imagine the same actors/actress as these characters - this was actually very easy as there are not many differences between the show and the books. The "Roswell action" starts right away - Liz is shot by a man in her family's restaurant and Max saves her life. Liz finds herself in a whole different type of world. While the Sheriff has way to many questions for her and what really happened, Liz can't help but feel drawn to Max. She is seeing him in a whole new light.... he is an alien and so are Isabel and Michael. With her best friends, it is now Liz's turn to help save Max's life and their possible future together.

This was a very fast paced book. The writing is not complicated but yet is enjoyable. Melinda Metz's writing style is simple and provides many different points of views from all the major characters. While this series is not 'earth-shattering', I loved the first book and can not wait to start the second.
on 1 April 2009
This book is absolutely amazing! But remember to order the whole series from 1-10 as they are all definitely worth it. They are highly recommended for all roswell fans and really give you a great insight into the characters.

They also introduce interesting new characters which werent on the show into the mix. Obviously since the show is base don the books this gives you the unadulterated roswell experience.

However, like the show there isn't enough of max and liz together. But in an any case if 3 seasons werent enough and you want more for roswell you deifnitely need to read this whole series of books.
on 26 December 1998
This was the best book I ever read. Once I picked up the book, I couldn't stop reading it. Now I want to buy the whole series so I know how the whole story will end. I am planning on buying books number 2, 3, 4, and more if she keeps on writing more books to make a whole series. I hope she keeps writing because this was the best Book I ever read. I can not wait to get all the books she wrote so far and start reading it. I hope she keeps writing so other people will know how she writes books and she really is good at it. GoOd JoB MeLiNdA MeTz!!!!
on 1 May 2016
I had read through some reviews before buying this book, so I was fully prepared for a story that wasn't going to be contesting the Booker Prize anytime soon. However, as a Roswell TV show fan I'm loathe to say, this book was a massive let down even by low standards.

Whilst I appreciated the difference in Michael's character to the TV show, everyone else had no depth to them. The story moved so fast that you really didn't feel connected. Then to finish it all off, we're given Liz saying "I love you" at the end when there is NOTHING in the book that leads me to think she's got feelings for Max any deeper than being simply crushing on him. I get they're teenagers, but I at least want something more than googly eyes for her to confess her love.

It really is a very short read. It's not worth the price I was charged for it.
on 26 December 1998
This was the best book I ever read. It is the best book I ever read because I like to read about Science Fiction because it is really exciting to read things that people don't believe are true. Once I picked up the book, I couldn't stop reading it. Now I want to buy the whole series so I know how the whole story will end. I am planning on buying books number 2, 3, 4, and more if she keeps on writing more books to make a whole series. I hope she keeps writing because this was the best Book I ever read. I can not wait to get all the books she wrote so far and start reading it. I hope she keeps writing so other people will know how she writes books and she really is good at it. I recommend this book to young adults and adults to read this book. It is really good. GoOd JoB MeLiNdA MeTz!!!!