5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely engrossing tale; a true master of fantasy at work, 4 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sapphire Throne (The jewelfire trilogy) (Paperback)
After having read Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth'-series I was under the distinct impression no author could better his writing style and imagination. (Alas, this seemed to get stuck a little bit with book #5 though - but I keep my hopes up.) But now, after having read the first 2 books in Ms Warrington's Jewelfire Trilogy I think she is even much better than him (in my view the best I have read in years - and there is little I have not read yet)! Time and again I was amazed by the sheer inventiveness with which many an unexpected plot twist was introduced in the story. But never did that give the feeling of invention for the sake of the story. All seemed logical and very much believable. I also very much enjoyed the subtly woven dark atmosphere surrounding the Bhahdradomen.
By the end of book 2, with all its bleak implications, I cannot begin to imagine how everything will be saved and come to a happy ending in book 3, but I'm very sure that Ms Warrington will create a triumphant finale and will not dissappoint.
Loved the characters and their unusual but beautiful sounding names. Especially loved Tanthe's straightforward attitude and her delicious and many times humorous sarcasm. The only thing which perhaps was a bit less well developed was Helananthe's gullibility towards the Bhahdradomen (won't spoil the actual plot). She might have been a bit more critical imho.
Be it that so many characters are introduced, sometimes with names which are very similar sounding, and their intricate relationships, but also many new words and meanings, perhaps a person list/glossary as an appendix in the book is an idea?
Loved the books! Loved the story! Can't wait for #3, which I will surely buy in hardcover!
-Harry-

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Attitude to Fantasy, 21 Aug. 2000
This review is from: The Sapphire Throne (The jewelfire trilogy) (Paperback)
I bought the first book - The Amber Citadel - based on this site's recommendation and this book because the first's so good! Anyway the second book is equally as good, introducing new facets to the main characters along with new characters that you know are going to play big parts later on. The refreshing difference in this book however is that the characters act just the same as you or I - they swear, lose their tempers and make mistakes, just like we do. Its nice to read a fantasy book that's based on reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent continuation of the Amber Citadel, 2 Jun. 2000
This review is from: The Sapphire Throne (The jewelfire trilogy) (Paperback)
I quite often find that book 2 of a 3 book story can be a bit slow. This was definately not the case with this one. The story was as compelling as the first book, with interesting twists in the plot that made you almost feel sorry for the bad guys.
Can't wait for the conclusion to this thrilling tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - Well thought through and writtem, 20 Jun. 2000
This review is from: The Sapphire Throne (The jewelfire trilogy) (Paperback)
This book is well written, thought out and has wonderful characterisdation.
The story flows easily and kept my interest from the first to last page.
More of the same please

4.0 out of 5 stars Very odd., 22 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sapphire Throne (The jewelfire trilogy) (Paperback)
I liked this book, but there were some things that made me raise my eyebrows a bit. I won't say what they were to avoid spoiling it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, but still. It ends in a cliff-hanger, which just makes me want to scream in frustration, because I want to know what happens next! READ THIS BOOK!

The Sapphire Throne (The jewelfire trilogy)
The Sapphire Throne (The jewelfire trilogy) by Freda Warrington (Paperback - 3 April 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01