5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage instruction that works today
I had been trying to get hold of this book for some time (not since 1957 I should hasten to add) and I wasn't disappointed when it finally arrived. Unlike many modern golf books which have gone overboard on theory and drills the book is clear, concise, easy to follow and SHORT. The diagrams are beautifully drawn and Hogan's instruction is both practical and effective...
Published on 23 Sep 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Over rated old fashioned golf book
Had heard this was a classic and one of the best golf books ever. I am sure it was great in its day but there are lots of modern texts that cover the golf swing a lot better than this eg Jim Hardy's book, Swing Like a Pro etc. This book would probably be quite good for a complete beginner though as it covers the main basics of the golf swing ok.
Published on 19 April 2009 by Golf Mad Harvey

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone who wants more consistency in their game, 10 Dec 1999
Having seem this book during my childhood, and not fully understanding or appreciating its contents, I deciced to purchase this book, it must be one of the best golf books I have ever read. Ben Hogan was without doubt the greatest ball striker the world has ever seen, he address all the foundations of the golf swing and suggests what he has found sucessful and works! In the last decade probably one golfer has came close to emulate the consistency of Hogan, Mr Nick Faldo along with his "old" teacher Leadbetter. Having watched there many videos I came to the conclusion these guys are just saying what Ben Hogan was preaching in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tips for a new golfer, 3 Jun 2013
T. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf (Hardcover)
Although there are already a lot of other reviews about ben hogan's five lessons I thought it would be wrong for me not to put my experiences in here.

As a bit of background I am a novice golfer. I played 3 or 4 rounds a few years ago, and bought a beginners club set (ben sayers m7 fire) and went round a few times with some of the lads at work. I was enjoying myself but hitting very inconsistently. Hooks and slices were very very common and the best I did was hit par once, and that was with a really good putt. Probably a fluke back then.

I started playing again a few months ago with a change of job that is giving me a lot of free time. I picked up a few golf magazines and looked through the tips and guide sections but they were all over the place with diagrams and captions I wasn't taking much in from them. I decided to do a search on golf books on amazon and the most recommended was ben hogan's five lessons, so I took a small chance and ordered it. I suggest everyone who has had a similar experience to myself so far do the same and buy this book.

The book arrived and I read it over 2 nights. There are a handful of sections, starting with grip and finishing with your downswing. It is written in a very good order, bringing the information through in a solid structure. The writing style is not modern, but not old fashioned either. It feels more like what ben would say if he was standing in front of you giving you a real life instruction. The diagrams are hand drawn and very clear, and everything has lots of diagrams to show you in every possible way what you need to do.

There is also a section at the back but a quick round up of what he has taught you. I particularly like the fact that he explains the swing plane in a nice simple way.

What the book doesn't include: anything on club choice or hitting of different surfaces e.g. rough or sand. This is just the basic fundamentals of a good golf swings.

So where am I after a month of following the instruction in this book? well I have hit around 500 balls on the range, with various clubs, and played one round yesterday. I scored about 20 shots better than I would have previously, and only lost on match play by 2 holes, where I would have lost every hole. I scored my first ever birdie on a par 3. My shots are much more consistent and I would say that 80% of the time go where I want. Although I do miss hit or just miss the other 20% I can feel in my swing where I went wrong and what not to do next time. I can now play a round without feeling embarrassed slicing tee shots into woods and I am not losing balls anymore. Water hazards do not make my wallet cringe. I am getting good height rather than hitting the ball low across the floor.

I cannot recommend this book any more. It is number 1 and in my opinion will never be replaced. The fundamentals here will give me a lifetime of enjoyable golf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Is Gold - Ben Hogans Five Lessons, 2 Jun 2010
I have seen many instructional videos and read books about the game and upon reading this book I noticed that a lot of the things are covered by these videos etc. Now, bearing in mind WHEN this book was originally published, I can only conclude that the videos and other books have been based upon extracts from this book, making Hogan's Five Lessons as the original,the best, simple and most effective book written on how to PROPERLY play this game.

Others have taken extracts, added a bit of colour, put fancy touches and inserted bits of their own minor tips, but in the end they all end up saying the same things that Mr Hogan says in his book that was written over 50 years ago. But as you are aware things get lost in translation and for this reason I would recommend that you stick to the original master in Mr Hogan.

Mal G

5.0 out of 5 stars Hogan's five lessons review, 19 Mar 2012
I read Hogan's five lessons many years ago when I was about 15. I recently read it again two or three times, over twenty years later. If only I could have taken it all on board all those years ago. Too late smart, as the saying goes.

Hogan understood the swing better than anybody. It is not easy to explain how to hit a golf ball using a book, but any challenges in trying to understand what Hogan was getting at, are out weighed by the fact that he was right. He had a technique that worked better than any other - accuracy and power. Why study some other guy that explains the wrong things well. With the five lessons you have to reach a little for the insights, but it is worth it.

The book describes the golf swing as a chain reaction that unfolds. Attention to the fine details early in the grip, set up and back swing, lead to a perfectly loaded body, that is released onto the ball. It was the obsessive attention to the little things that made Hogan great.

Get the correct grip, setup and back swing plane ingrained and understand that the upper body works the backswing, the lower body drives the downswing and you are on your way.

And remember if you are not playing of sratch or better you swing is fundamentally flawed. Accept that and use this book to do something about it. Good luck and thank Mr Hogan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 10 Aug 2011
F Drew (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I think there's enough in this book to get anyone practicing their golf swing seriously. If like me, you refuse to pay 20 or so for golf lessons that last a mere 30 minutes, this is one book that will teach you a lot. Lots of diagrams and clear instructions. I think you should try to take the information in slowly if you're learning as it is quite technical and also because it's quite dry reading at times. That said, the instructions are perfect. I learnt a lot from the first chapter alone, titled 'The Grip', and feel much more confident holding the club.

Further parts on the backswing, downswing and swing plane amongst others are incredibly precise and not difficult to understand. B Hogan advises to take things real slow, to spend a week or so on one area before moving on to the next.

I'm a beginner and have been taking ideas from here and there to try and make progress. Several books I've looked at have been really boring and uninspiring, but this book is excellent and you can see why many describe it as a classic. I still prefer Jack Nicklaus' 'Golf My Way' but only because it's more light-hearted. For a precise, scientific type method though I doubt if B Hogan's book can be topped and funnily enough it makes some of the recent hi-tec golf books with all the colourful charts and computer graphics look a bit silly!

You can't go wrong with this book and your local library is likely to have a copy where I found mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars hogan, 17 Dec 2010
So basic in presentation a joy to read, of course it is dated but the talent and knowledge of the man is as modern today as it was when first published. Trust the advice it will work, it has for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics, 29 Jun 2010
Great book and highly recommended - bought this almost out of historical interest only to realise that it still teaches you all you need to know about the golf swing. I've followed Leadbetters very good instruction over the years - but here it all is, very well written, more easily grasped, in an assertive and positive style that will encourage anyone. So - save money on the clap-trap `instant fix' magazine articles and videos and get back to the basics (and hit the ball a lot better which is what happened to me!)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best buys ever, 31 May 2010
For the first time ever, in all my time playing golf, I now understand the golf swing and am putting into practise what the book has to offer. Early days but signs are very encouraging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Hogan's Five Lessons - An Instructional, 1 Feb 2010
This is a superb book which is suitable for the raw beginner and the experienced golfer as well.The author sets out what is to be achieved, how to achieve it and lots of check points which ascertain, both in the home and on the golf course, whether the reader is successfully applying the instructions. These instructions are accompanied by excellent pencil line drawings whch enable the reader to see very clearly all of the hand, body,foot,grip etc positions and how one can monitor their effectiveness on the practice area or the course. This is a superior book to any of the several which I've tried to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hogan was the best, his book still is, 7 Jan 2010
Undoubtedly the best instruction book on golf you can get. I have been playing for many years and have amassed a good many instructional books, all of which I use to get insight into the short game and the players approach and philosophy to the game. The only one I would use for swing mechanics is Hogans and I thoroughly recommend it. Bear in mind that this is a "what to do in terms of fundamentals" not a step by step guide on how to perform the various swing actions. If you are a student of golf and are prepared to put the time in to understand his thoughts then you will be richly rewarded.
I bought this five months ago and already have changed my approach and am hitting the ball far better for it. I would also suggest Hogans "Power Golf" - though this has his earlier thinking it has genuine nuggets and together the two provide a fascinating insight into the evolution of his thinking.
Five lessons is undoubtedly the best money I have ever spent on my golf game.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf by Herbert Warren Wind (Hardcover - 6 Nov 2006)
11.89