5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ
Published on 5 Mar 2011 by MOPHEAD

1.0 out of 5 stars far below my expectations
Stopped reading and threw it into the garbage box after learning the mindset of main character which is smth like 'i got my first surf lesson, so now i believe i am one of the surfers already and moreover i express it by purchasing shirt with surfboards'.
Published 6 months ago by Karolis Merkys

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: Kook: What Surfing Taught Me about Love, Life, and Catching the Perfect Wave (Paperback)
Having got into Surfing through my son james who is only 8 years of age and me nearly 48, this book was true inspiration for me, i thought i was the only 40+ age new to surfing bloke in the world, but this book gave me some great insight into another mans love of the of a sport,lifestyle and i must admit that Surfing has taken me too, so much in fact i went on a surfing holiday to Sri Lanka with some "proper" surfers having not evan tried surfing properly before. The line in the book that most resinates with me is "the best surfer is the one having the most fun" i have to tell you it was life changing for me..read the book and be inspired..

4.0 out of 5 stars Good easy read, 17 Jan 2013
I read a lot of surf related books, technical stuff, wave and weather analyst etc - I find the story books all take the same kind of route...some sort of quest, pilgrimage with a bit of eastern philosophy thrown in. For surfers we get descriptions of waves, rides, boards and crowds (or lack of them) etc... I love it, its exactly what I want after a day in the North Sea of the coast in Norfolk, freezing my butt off. Kook is a good read, I like the characters on the journey and the ecologist view that we're all aware off. May irritate a few surfers if it encourages more old farts into the water !

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read., 17 Nov 2012
With great life, love and surfing tips, info on conservation and world issues, it had me laughing and crying all the way through. I was so upset when it finished - I wanted it to last so much longer.
A great, great read. I can't rate it highly enough. I'm in my forties, learning to surf and well it inspired me to carry on with the sport and my love of the sea and planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars surfers enjoy!, 26 Nov 2012
great book for surfers and non-surfers who just like the coast.
A fun book that takes you into a beginners world.

5.0 out of 5 stars kook, surfing, 29 July 2012
great book, living the dream all surfers want to live! if you yearn to travel, surf and chill on the sand, read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars A journey every surfer can relate to...., 15 Jan 2013
This book is nothing short of an inspiration, it has a lovely on the road type of feel, backdropped with interesting headlines and facts about the environment and cetaceans, I am only half way through and already can't wait to read the rest. But don't be too fooled Heller may disarm you with charm but he's not half the kook he makes out to be.

This can be a serious tale for surfers who take the ocean seriously.

1.0 out of 5 stars far below my expectations, 23 Jan 2014