4.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to self-awareness
Before reading this book, I read some of the Dalai Lama's other works, namely 'The Art of Happiness' and the compact 'Book of Wisdom'. The content in this book is somewhat more complex and may lose some readers due to its harder-going nature. However, it's hardly a challenge; it just may be hard to tune in to, especially if you're a light reader.

There are...
Published 18 months ago by Jonathan R

3.0 out of 5 stars not so enlightened
I don't know if i started with the wrong book as there were many to choose from, this is a hard core read - i've managed to get about a quarter of the way in and come to a stop - it's hard going, i will pick it up again as i want to know more
Published 21 months ago by rosegarden

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to self-awareness, 5 Jun 2013

There are some useful tips and pieces of wisdom in this book, which is to be expected as it's written by a man who may be amongst the wisest on the planet. I don't think that this is the best Dalai Lama book, though. I'd like to say that that title rests with 'The Art of Happiness'. Therefore, if you haven't read 'The Art of Happiness', I'd suggest that before reading this. However, this isn't exactly a bad read - it's just inferior in my opinion to the other mentioned book.

Overall, though, a great book - definitely worth investing in.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to follow, 26 April 2010
Helen Parkes "H" (Devon) - See all my reviews
I was worried that this book may be a bit deep, but it is easy to follow. the principles are laid out in an easy to follow fashion too. I found the principles very comforting at a time of stress and family illness. our interpretation of events are often very exaggerated - and when we look at life from a different perspective, it is easier to see things more positively.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 14 Aug 2008
Runeweaver - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
after reading this book,i cant say i see myself any different than before,but i did learn new ways to see things around me,and by seeing them differently than before i can control myself far better,not getting so annoyed at stupid things at work,so give it a try it might help you.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is quite a scholarly read, 22 Feb 2013
... and so demanding of your attention. An essential for anyone who is trying to understand "emptiness"/ or who (like myself) thought I did understand the essence of "emptiness". I can't rate it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to See Yourself as You Really Are, 30 Mar 2008
This book may help you find a deeper understanding into your life, and to better yourself. It gives you insight to the basic steps of meditation.
His Holiness gives you guidance on how to practise compassion and mental calm.
How to live a meaningful life. The Dalai Lama's Book may get a bit on the heavy side
But read it to the end, it may help you to understand the way Buddhists see life.
Amazing to read. A big up for His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

4.0 out of 5 stars Readable and of practical use., 29 May 2014
The text of this book upon meditation is unusually simple to follow and enjoy..
either to use as a discipline, or to `dip into` to catch oneself back from the mind`s urges to run away with one..
Very accessible for the lay-person and uncluttered by any dogma.
Well worth it, by any standards, imho.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great guide., 6 April 2013
I'm enjoying the guide to help you meditate and to see things in life as they really are and why we become attached to things which have no importance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing books a real must read if you're wanting a better life, 28 Jan 2013
I chose these ratings because they books are amazing. They have not only shown me why I have thought the way I have but I have also learnt a lot of new insights about myself. I have never read books so fast before I couldn't put them down.
I even took time out from my own writing to read them.
I would recommend them to anyone which I already have been.
I have recommended them not only to friends and family but to my clients as well and will post them on my website shortly.
Love and light
Judith Farley

5.0 out of 5 stars "A very relaxing, easy to read book which has obviously been written by a very sensitive author., 6 Jan 2013
The Dehli Lama is a clear author who can impart his knowledge with a seeming amount of love and care in his writing. Seeing ourselves as we are is far from easy, but if we can succeed in this the Dalia Lama's book makes it easy for the reader. I am on the second reading of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars heavy reading, 24 Sep 2011
I had to put it down a lot and read in small segments as it's quite full of Buddhist jargon and repeats itself a l bit to reinforce core ideas. That's fine, but just be prepared to take it slow. Some ideas presented are certainly logical but are hard to get your head around at first. Enjoyed the read as this book too exudes the Dalai lama's jovial writing style....:)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

How to See Yourself as You Really Are
How to See Yourself as You Really Are by Dalai Lama (Paperback - 6 Nov 2007)
Used & New from: £0.63