5.0 out of 5 stars Read it and feast!, 13 Sept. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: A Fair Feast: 70 Celebrity Recipes for a Fairer World (Paperback)
I was going to give this book as a present, but it had me so engrossed I decided to keep it and get another one to give away. This delicious book performs the almost impossible sounding feat of making your mouth water at the food ideas, as well as making your blood boil about the unfairness of world trade. I tend to read cookbooks for sheer enjoyment or ideas, rather than slavishly propping them up against the kettle and following the instructions to the letter, and this book is great whichever type of person you are. Great recipes, but even more food for thought, as the recipes encourage you to use Fairtrade products - really, there is more to tea, coffee and bananas in this game it seems. The author Vicky Bhogal, as well as her own recipe for cashew, prawn, brazil nut and lemon rice (I might actually make that, it sounds great, and really easy), has persuaded a whole range of celebs to contribute their favourite recipes for this book, as well as thoughts on poverty and making trade fair. I have to say, I never knew there were Fairtrade mangoes, avocadoes or lemons before reading this, but I will look for them now. The puddings section is best: ranging from Margaret Atwood's grannie's recipe for cookies, to Elton John's pineapple souffle (oh, I can just see him in his pinny). And any cookbook that dedicates a whole section to chocoholics (including a sumptuous Chocolate Orange Cake recipe by Nigella) is OK by me.
The whole book is littered with really interesting facts and quotes from people who grow bananas, cocoa, as well as some great photos. For all those Bridget Jones fans, you even get Colin Firth getting his shirt wet again in aid of fairer coffee prices!
This is a really feel good book. Read it and feast!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 25 Jan. 2009
A Customer (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Just had to write a short review recommending this book - mainly on the strength of the mouthwatering recipes - but you also because you get the added bonus of the feel-good factor.
I've tried a number of the recipes & all have been delicious - I can particularly recommend the smoked chiken & mango salad which is seeing its 5th airing this week!
Anyway, it did seem rather unjust that this fabulous little book so far has only had 1 review so thought I'd add to it hoping to inspire more people to buy it.

A Fair Feast: 70 Celebrity Recipes for a Fairer World
A Fair Feast: 70 Celebrity Recipes for a Fairer World by Vicky Bhogal (Paperback - 5 Sept. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01