5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this to any art lover.
I loved it so much I bought this further copy for a friend.i found the research well done and the story plausible
Published 16 months ago by Margaret Ann Jackson

2.0 out of 5 stars Historical novel it ain't
Published on 4 Aug 2011 by Tara S

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this to any art lover., 9 May 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Historical novel it ain't, 4 Aug 2011
As an avid reader of anything linked to the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, I snapped up this book only to be disappointed by it. In terms of content, if you are looking for a light, entertaining read of the chick-lit genre then this is for you (in fact I'd be surprised if it hasn't featured in the 3 for 2 offers at airport bookstores). However, if you take a deep interest in the era and the PRB then steer clear. To be fair to the author, this has been marketed as fiction, not historical novel so there has been no intent to deceive. I was also deeply disappointed by the style. In addition to the irritating and incongruous Americanisms by this American author, the style is amateurish. I would expect better than school-leaver English from a purported professional author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely light read, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Wayward Muse (Hardcover)
I write Pre-Raphaelite art history stuff and I adored this. Is it entirely accurate? No, of course not but that is why it is fiction not a biography. Is it a damn fine read that I got through in about three sittings? Yes, and I loved every minute. If you want fact, read Jan Marsh, not Franny Moyle (who has quite a few errors in her book, nice illustrations though). If you want to get a sense of perhaps what it meant to be Jane Morris, this is not bad at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Full of anachronistic American-isms, 16 April 2011
S. Pomfrett - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wayward Muse (Hardcover)
I am slightly obsessed by the Pre-Raphelites and William Morris, so when I saw this book, I snapped it up.

I am sort of in two minds as to how I feel about the book; the author has obviously done a lot of research but she lets herself down with the use of language in the novel. It's important to try and set the scene with language AND description- 19th century people in Oxford did not talk about 'sidewalks', autumn being 'fall' and children wearing 'rain slickers'. This just totally ruined the whole tone of the novel for me. Also, I felt that her portrayal of the characters was a little too one-dimensional and sketchy. A lot of the cliches used about the people involved in the Pre-Raphelite movement are present here. If you want proper history and information, I'd recommend you start with something like 'Desperate Romantics' by Franny Moyle, which is written in an informative and entertaining way.

On the other hand, it is an easy read. It was a good break for me when I was too stressed to read anything heavy.

The Wayward Muse
The Wayward Muse by Elizabeth Hickey (Hardcover - 16 July 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01