Published on 17 Mar 2008 by Eliza DoLittle

3.0 out of 5 stars How to cope
This book is most helpful in the area of bereavement of a partner - a bit thin on other loss but all in all helpful and gives some useful coping techniques with unfamiliar strong emotions connected with bereavement.
Published on 19 May 2010 by V. A. Penny

5.0 out of 5 stars On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss, 17 Mar 2008
EXCELLENT BOOK. This is essential reading for all of us you have/will lose a loved one - grief is such a personal thing, but this books shows the common demoninators, a book to be read and reread during a time of grieving - cannot recommend highly enough. I have given this book as gifts to grieving friends and they could not believe it when they read in print how they were feeling. In fact this book should be read by everyong on the planet - it will equip us better and help us find the way, not only for ourselves but for whose who may need our support in their dark time of grieving.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must!, 13 Dec 2008
Mrs. S. Card - See all my reviews
When I lost a loved one I searched the bookshops for something that could help me through such a traumatic time. I bought some books which were quite helpful and some that were not. Then I bought 'On Grief and Grieving' and finally I had the answers, the understanding and the help I had been searching for for so long. This is an absolute must for all those who are suffering the awful hopelessness of losing someone. I can't recommend this book enough and recently bought another copy for a relative who had just lost her husband. It covers every aspect and stage of grieving whether it be for a parent, partner, child, soulmate, sibling or pet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dealing with a difficult human experience with the sensitive touch..., 16 Jan 2008
Hannah Brown "Lou Brown" (UK, Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss (Paperback)
I have read a number of books now by Elisabeth K.R. and this one, rather appropriately, was edited after she passed away by co-author David Kessler.
The book is set out in easy to understand chapters and deals with each of the Five Stages using real-life examples to help clarify each one.
I think this book would be extremely helpful and "a beacon of light" for anybody who is grieving over the loss of a loved one, anybody who is finding it hard to find the right words, or for anybody wanting to expand their emotional person-centred counseling/listening skills, as it not only teaches you the theory, it also teaches you to feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars are not enough..., 30 April 2006
Written in the second person, On Grief And Grieving offers a deeply personal insight into the individual world of grief while reaching out to touch every reader who has ever been bereaved, or struggled for words to offer a friend.
This book addresses both the practical and emotional elements of bereavement, including complicated grieving and taboos. It gives implicit guidance to the professional working with bereavement through its refreshingly un-academic, personal style. Being the final word on the misunderstood Five Stages, it is a crucial textbook for counselling students and volunteers.
EKR and DK share their own pain and support you tenderly through yours. Written as Elisabeth was dying, this book has a special poignant personal involvement from both authors. They explain and accept every thought, emotion and difficulty you may experience, with the loving warmth to support you. They will guide you tenderly through emotions you have not yet named and help you find the healing tears you thought you had already cried. This book is essential reading for all those who have loved and lost.
It should be sold with a box of tissues.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential reading for anyone who is grieving, 19 Jan 2010
B. Harry "silversurfer" (Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
I recently lost my partner of mor than 50 years and am suffering greatly, as is my daughter at the loss of her mother. It was suggested that we read books by this author and of the 3 that I read, this was the most influential in easing my grief. I bought this book for my daughter and she also has found that it gives her some relief from her grief. I would suggest that anyone who is grieving should get this book. I'm sure they will find it as helpful as we have

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT MUDDLE-THROUGH COMPANION, 11 Oct 2005
Shashank Tripathi (Gadabout) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
At times of great grief, when it seems difficult to come up with the right things to say to the grieving, one hopes to run into a companion, a book, anything, that shares the experience of people who have gone through similar experiences before and emerged in one piece. Much to one's dismay, one finds a whole parade of grief counseling peddlers. Garden variety touchy-feely advice. Precious little for people with brain cells in the right places.
That is what makes this Kubler-Ross compilation an absolute treasure of a find. It is intelligent in its narrative of moments one goes through at times of deep sudden loss, and the kinds of things one can do or think to ride the emotional rollercoasters that inevitably ensue. The prose is sane, easy to identity with. There is a rich cornucopia of examples and real life experiences that go to great lengths to cushion the self-doubt one could quite easily feel while indulging in a book on the subject.
I cannot recommend this muddle-through read highly enough. A smart, sensitive companion. Look for the paperback if possible, there is one. As you are reading this review, may I also offer to point out that life's curveballs may appear random at times, with very little explanations offered for unpleasant things one has to live through, but life goes on. You will get through it. Best wishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for those dealing with grief, 25 Nov 2009
This really is a tremendous book that offers so much to those in grief, and to indivuals working with people who are grieving.

Both authors are experts in this area having worked for many many years with people dealing with bereavement. They also share their own history and journey with grief, which happens to be helpfu not indulgent.

They describe helpfully the stages of grief, which will be immensely reassuring to anyone who thinks they are going mad whilst trying to cope with their loss. They convey strongly that when a loved one dies you don't get over the loss, it is always there, but you learn to live with the loss, but it takes a long time and there isn't a neat 'end point' when grief is finished.

Written with great compassion, heart and their skill and experience is in every sentence. It feels authentic and that you are in safe hands as the authors share their wisdom about death and loss.

After I had read it, it gave me the confidence to buy this book for someone whose parent died more than a year ago, although I did so with some trepidation in case it was ill received. I couldn't have been more wrong and they were so touched that I understood that they were still grieving for their Mum and they 'hadn't got over it' just because it had stopped being mentioned. What a gift of a book that encouraged my gesture and has openend my eyes and heart on this topic. I strongly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dealing with losing a loved one., 2 Dec 2010
My doctor recommended this book. I've begun to read it slowly, a section at a time. I've realised what I'm reading is what I'm living. It helps to know that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help with grief, 30 Aug 2009
A. Dibb-fuller (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This book has helped me immensely following the untimely and extremely sad passing of my brother in Feb '09. I found it quite spiritual in some ways, although not being a believer in God, I was able to work around those parts, and intertwine it with my own belief system.
I also bought this book for my two of my sister-in-law's. One being my brother's wife, who has not been able to read it yet, but will do, and one of whom lost her father this year too. She also said she found it very helpful. The passing of someone very close is extremely difficult. This book helps you to understand the five stages of grief epecially the anger and disbelief that your loved one is no longer around, when you are still expecting a phone call, a text or for them to walk back through the door.
It's easy to read, easy to understand and follow and in my personal opinion, a must for our bookshelves to help us deal with our grief - as after all, most of us will experience this at some point in our lives.
You never get over losing someone, but you learn to be able to deal with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars How to cope, 19 May 2010