5.0 out of 5 stars The Queen of Cuisine!
Like the reviewer Preeti Rai, I also heard of this book from Vicky's website after buying her fascinating and gorgeous book Flavour earlier this year.

Published on 5 Jan. 2010 by Ivory13

3.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Take away
I ordered this book mainly on reviews of her previous book--now apparently out of print. Balti Lamb etc great but what bothers me is in the Glossary of Terms is the definition of the word jihad? Does Jamie Oliver and et al define the word Crusade? in their cookbooks.
Published on 24 April 2012 by Roz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Queen of Cuisine!, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: A Year of Cooking Like Mummyji (Paperback)

This book simply has the most scrumptious traditional Indian recipes, which my Indian friends tell me they make at home but which I haven't come across in an Indian cookery book before, and is bursting with style too. The photos, illustration, poetry and stories all make it feel really special. She does indeed write like a dream and it has lots of interesting cultural information and anecdotes, so, like books by Nigel Slater, Molly Wizenberg and Sophie Dahl, this is definitely one to read and not just cook from in the kitchen.

Buy it even if just for the green masala chicken breast marinade (which I also use for prawns before skewering and grilling - delish) and cashew and prawn rice recipe (which I ate 3 nights in one week!). It's also a great book to give as a gift as it's the kind of book you'll treasure.

I'm now on a hunt for her first book too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not authentic?, 19 Mar. 2010
This review is from: A Year of Cooking Like Mummyji (Paperback)
I am sorry to note that one reviewer stated that the recipes are not authentic, but I wonder, authentic to what? If he/she is comparing it to traditional Indian or Pakistani cuisine then he/she has not read the book properly! Vicky states quite clearly that the book contains British-Asian and Punjabi classics, ie they consist of recipes collected from Asian families living in the UK.

I think this is a lovely book which is a collection of recipes where British and Asian ingredients are skillfully blended to produce superb flavoured food. Normally, I avoid so-called 'fusion' cooking like the plague as I find it does not usually work. However, Vicky has triumphed here, so maybe authors of other 'fusion' cookery books should buy themselves a copy of this book and learn something.

However, I had to knock off 1 star because I find the recipes quite difficult to read because the text is a light black and on different coloured backgrounds. If the pages were white, then it would be far easier to read. Also the binding is not that brilliant and I feel that if used a lot, pages may fall out. But recipes all the same!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: A Year of Cooking Like Mummyji (Paperback)
This is a great book, I love this girls books, all of the dishes sound great and I will try to make them. The book was in excellent condition, clean, and new as in the description. I recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars yum yum, 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A Year of Cooking Like Mummyji (Paperback)
delivery was excellent as usual, book has some great recipes in and is a great read

3.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Take away, 24 April 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall- quite good, 30 Nov. 2010
This review is from: A Year of Cooking Like Mummyji (Paperback)
I brought this book because my friend had suggested it to me!
I have only yet made the Chicken Karahi! It turned out okay because i did not follow the recipe v.well :(
There are some good recipes, but some just :/
I wanted a recipe book full of diff. curries and stuff but this is not like that!
It has a few curries, rice, chicken Korma!
Overall... it's okay!

A Year of Cooking Like Mummyji
A Year of Cooking Like Mummyji by Vicky Bhogal (Paperback - 6 Feb. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01