4.0 out of 5 stars Brutality, Action, and Mystery
Published on 6 Feb 2005 by Amy Hallstrom

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing end to a good series.
Published on 9 Nov 2007 by JC

4.0 out of 5 stars Brutality, Action, and Mystery, 6 Feb 2005
Amy Hallstrom (Grand Forks, North Dakota) - See all my reviews
This book was jam packed with mystery and lots of violence. Lots of main characters and harmless characters were brutally murdered in this final book in the Fool's Gold Trilogy. It definately kept me reading the whole time, but many times I was disgusted by the grusome and evil characters that could kill off babies and women the way they did. Yet, at the end of the book, the chaos is justified when it is clear that the God's are needed for the order to redevelop. Although, while many questions were answered in the last 20 pages of the book, I was left questioning a lot of things, and a lot of relationships between characters were left unresolved. I am very well aware that books are meant to leave you hanging and make an ending in your mind. But I felt as if the last book in the trilogy, was indeed not the last book. I would be satisfied if there was another maybe 100 pages in this book, or even short book that went into explaining a little more of the finale. So, while I loved reading the book the whole way through, with laughter, disgust, excitement, terror, sadness, etc., I slammed my head aganst the couch at the end of the book b/c I couldn't believe that the end was trully the end. I scanned the last 5 blank pages of the book in hopes to find a little note of some other book that was suppsed to be published at a later date, but all the pages were blank. Almost telling the reader, to make up whatever ending they wished.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing end to a good series., 9 Nov 2007
JC (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved the first two books in this series, I felt that the characters had both depth and purpose, and then came the Rose Of The World. I felt that this book was a hurried attempt to finish the story in a single volume. Characters that I'd come to know and either love or loathe appeared to be killed off with little or no thought just to make it easier to wrap up the story. All in all I thought it was a very unsatisfying end to a series that had started so well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magical conclusion indeed, 18 May 2014
Boo, hoo :'( my son and I have finished the trilogy. Each time we finish a series, I wonder if our reading adventures will continue or if this was the last time. Time passes and change comes to us all, even to my family.

Finn (Katla's twin) is a right bastard. He was the kind of child that tortured cats. You know, that kind of guy. Then life catches up with him. Something happens to us as we grow older. Whether we solidify or become like waves seems arbitrary. Finn solidified and in the end that turned out to be unfortunate for him.

As a reader, I appreciate it when I get a look at the propaganda system an author has grown up during without getting the feeling that the writer is trying to push her points of view down my throat. In fact, I love that because this has not been one of my strengths. Jude Fisher manages it.

So, Death! Death is for many an unwanted companion. For those who encounter Tanto Vingo and Tycho Issian the opposite could be said. The evil twins might be one term that applies to them - except their motivation is different. Tycho is trying to eradicate all the "evil" from the world by burning people while Tanto gets his kicks from torture and mayhem. Just hearing their names brings terror to the hearts of the people of Istrian. A worse combination could probably never have been invented.

Tanto's favorite victim is Saro. Saro was gifted/cursed with an overly active empathic ability toward the end of Fool's Gold. Since then, he feels and sees all that goes on in a person at the time that he touches them. I wonder what it must be like to have such an ability? Pretty freaking terrible I would imagine. After Tanto figured out what was going on, Saro was mentally tortured. Once Saro was brought back to Jetra, he was physically and mentally tortured in the prison/torture chambers of the Miseria (Jetra's infamous prison).

Katla's physical, emotional and attitudinal journey is huge in "The Rose of the World". She continues to be my favorite. Her resilience and stubbornness help her survive what seems to break her sisters from Rockfall. Her mother is the same. Both have to overcome prejudices and fears that have not been encountered previously. Mam likes this gritty little chit of a girl who maintains such a strong will to live true to herself.

The one I pitied the most was Aran (Katla's father/Bera's ex-husband). Being caught in a geas is a terrible thing. Once you are caught in its spell there is no escaping until you have done whatever this magically imposed command tells you to do. You will sacrifice anything to get to the end of it without realising how much you are giving up. It is as if something has possessed you and you become unable to impose your own will. Aran's story is a story of both being a victim of his possession and a victim of circumstances. Poor guy.

The conclusion was magical indeed. Not much reality used to get us there. I haven't really made up my mind as to how I feel about it yet. But it fits with Ms. Fisher's intro to the novel.

There were happy parts and sad parts to the novel. Gruesome parts and satisfying parts. A whole lot of obsessed people causing mayhem and destruction. All in all a trilogy I recommend.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a baf ending to the series.....but...., 6 Sep 2005
By A Customer
But....the first two books so excellent but the third and final is a bit of a let down.
There were so many plots and intrigues...characters and locations that I knew the final book would have to be either huge or things glossed over. Unfortunately it was the latter.....character development stopped and all the loose ends were quickly tied up at the end. A big disappointment to what was a very imaginative and creative new world and culture...just wish that it had been 5 books and not 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant engrossing trilogy, 23 April 2013
Well written, engrossing. Not an epic but enough to get your teeth into. Will look out for more of her workin the future

5.0 out of 5 stars The explosive, epic conclusion to an intricately interwoven masterpiece of multi-layered vision and impressive ingenuity, 8 April 2013
`Rose of the World' is the final installment within the `Fool's Gold trilogy' by highly acclaimed author Jude Fisher, who is also author of the film companions for the Lord of the Rings films and the Hobbit (Peter Jackson). Containing such cleverly complex storylines and world-building as Robin Hobb, this is a magical masterwork of mind-blowing proportions and convincing characterization that takes fantasy fiction to new heights. This is a supremely magical mystery full of intense drama and exciting adventure, as to delight any fan of epic fantasy/ sword & sorcery that transcends well-known authors (i.e Raymond E Feist and GRR Martin).

I found this story so believable, so utterly convincing that I found my mind wandering back to it during every single waking hour - with half of my mind still remaining in the familiarity of the world of Elda. Fisher certainly knows how to blend myth with magic beautifully together in a vibrant, colorful world full of danger and fascinating premise. The Goddess of Elda, the Rose of the World, is a likeable and interesting character whose journey (up until becoming the wife of King Raven of the Northern Isles) was wrought with dangers to great and terrible to imagine. Travelling across vast oceans wherein majestic great ships lie, I was once more plunged into a tale akin to `Pirates of the Caribbean' or Narnia's: voyage of the dawn trader as the ships of the southern empire become the centre of the holy war. It is the divide between the North and South that makes this starkly dramatic, remarkable tale so distinctive, for the lives of each character differs greatly as you observe varying perspectives.

Packed with bloodthirsty, electrifying battle scenes and competitive combat this otherworldly saga is one of such vast substance and scope. If you like fast-paced, intricately detailed and deftly woven narratives that guarantee to have you glued to the pages for hours, then I highly recommend this spectacular trilogy. As soon as I began reading `Wild Magic' (book 1) I knew that I would feel compelled to read the other two books, for I had completely lost myself within Jude Fisher's creation.

Bold, brilliant and full of brutality the treacherous trickery and cunning of the author's characters is wonderful and I loved every single minute I spent following their journeys. From the spellbinding Eternal City to the vast waters of the Istrian Sea and the land beyond to the Icefields, this is a world as richly diverse and deeply beguiling as any memorable land. I am so impressed by this author and pleased to have read Jude Fisher's novels, for I do feel that they need more publicity and exposure...you may know the author for his visual film companions, but I urge you to discover his written literary works.

4.0 out of 5 stars a nice end to the series, 26 July 2006
it has been some time since i read the 1st 2 books in the series, but found that it was easy to slip back into the characters having had some memory jogging!

With a somewhat unexpected twist towards the end I felt it ended the series well, if a little abruptly!!

Rose of the World (Fools Gold 3)
Rose of the World (Fools Gold 3) by Jude Fisher (Hardcover - 1 Aug 2005)
17.64
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available