4.0 out of 5 stars Brutally honest, 26 Nov 2003
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
Sting has been my favourite artiste for many years now, but nothing could have prepared me for his biography. It is beautifully written, on par with his lyrics. More importantly, it is brutally honest, both in his own frailties and his turbulent relationship with his parents. It does not deal with the giddy heights of his Police and solo careers, but with his memories of growing up and his struggle to make it as a musician. After reading the book, his songs took on even greater meaning to me. An excellent book for all, particularly those who 'dislike' him. He is human just like the rest of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautifully written book, 13 Nov 2003
F. Bottrall - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
Long awaited and full of expectation, this book is Sting taking you through his early memories, explaining and revealing much of himself along the way. It is everything you hope it to be in many ways: touching, often very insightful, beautifully written, and (as with the cameo for Miles Davis' album) full of entertaining and funny tales!
It's been Sting's misfortune that his honesty has often counted against him, but Broken Music shows just how much we should treasure that quality. I recommend this book for any and all who wish to understand the man behind the name, and why he is who he is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story shared, 25 Jan 2004
P T CHEATLE (Portsmouth, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
I asked my brother to buy me this book for Christmas after seeing Sting on Parkinson last year, even then when pressed by Parky you could see the emotion of the memories in his eyes. Reading the book brings those alive, I could read them and see them at the same time. Broken Music is so vividly and beautifully written; no less than you would expect from someone with the phenonmenal song-writing talent like Sting. A thoroughly enjoyable read, I couldn't put it down, and in fact I read it again straightaway, to take it all in. Parts of it are sad, some funny, all moving. I'm glad he chose to share it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers a lot of questions, 28 Sep 2004
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
If you were a Police\Sting fan from '78 onwards, this book is the antithesis for "Epilogue (Nothing 'Bout Me)". There's more than enough eloquently written passages here (well what do you expect from an ex-English teacher) to reveal an uneasy childhood evolved around his parents fragile relationship, and the preceding events to the brink of The Police's success, that were to shape the songwriter\storyteller we know as Sting. A frankly honest, self-critical autobiography, tinged with sadness and so many references to "what might have been" if other paths had been chosen. Reiteration of the difficulty the generation of his parents had in openly showing affection is a regular reference, and a source of seemingly unfinished business. This must have been an exercise in excorcism for Gordon Matthew Sumner, so far, not possible to be fully chanelled through the vehicle of song - though you will understand "Soul Cages" a lot better after reading. The first book in ages that made me laugh (Bingo machine story in particular as I've done the same gigs) and cry (last chapter will cut to the quick for anyone who has lost a parent), the first book I've read for ages that I couldn't put down. Thank you for sharing these memoirs, Sting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 1 Jan 2004
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
As Sting himself admits, not a typical autobiography in the classical sense - he writes about the most important fragments of his life sometimes movingly and always honestly. He's prepared to confront his own foibles and share them with us, something rare amongst the over-inflated egos of the celebrity world. The book is elegantly and beautifully written and I've enjoyed every minute of it. The reason he didn't include any photos is obvious, but I still found it a shame - wouldn't it have been possible to include something other than the usual family groups in this unusual autobiography?

5.0 out of 5 stars Private faces in public places, 23 Jan 2009
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
This is a superbly written and truly memorable book that takes you inside the mind of a very public person and introduces you to a real breathing, thinking, feeling human being. No bragging, no false modesty, no starriness. Gordon Sumner takes himself and the reader back to his modest and unglamorous but honest and unpretentious roots, and shows how his ambition grew out of the tortured emotional atmosphere of his family. The most striking things about his recollections are the ordinariness of the circumstances and situations he found himself in, his sensitivity and eloquence in describing them, and the simultaneous diffidence and doggedness of his ambition. He writes movingly of the friendships, the loves and the losses of his youth. He remembers things that many readers will remember, vividly evokes feelings at once personal and universal, and shows us things that no-one would show who hoped to buff up a sanitised iconic image. This is a book both funny and intensely moving, written by a very sensitive and eloquent artist. I have to reiterate that the writing is superb, in many places exquisite. Not your ordinary rock-star biog. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a...errr...book about Sting, 25 Dec 2003
Tim Young (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
I never cared much for The Police, but Sting has always interested me. This is a good book and certainly fell into the “couldn’t put it down” category for me. It is packed with detail but does finish somewhat abruptly – did Sting simply loose interest in the entire project? Or are we deliberately being teased for the sequel: Mended Music? Although the book answered more questions than I could have possibly imagined having about Sting, it didn’t explain how such a “down to earth lad from the North” turned into an “arty farty southern Jessie!” The book is well written, though in some places possibly a bit too well written. Is Sting trying to prove to us that he isn’t your typical “rock star thickie”? He really and truly was once a teacher, you know. After a while, the book reads like a reference guide for metaphors and similes -- the phrase “like a” itself becomes like a well trodden and worn path…

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had the determination and stamina., 31 May 2011
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
If nothing else, this autobiography, like many I have read, make me realise, that I will never be sucsessful like those who have a driven want and stamina to make it to the top.
I play a few musical instruments and sing, and like so many, have considered going into that business called show.
Got close once, and was offered Bernie Turpin by a company as the producer.
It never came off (a long story) so still am just playing for pleasure only.
The things that stay in my mind are the parts where he and his fellow musicians travel many miles to just do one gig and then return home again all in one night, falling asleep at the wheel at one point!
A good read and just cements the feelings I have on trying to make it to the top in that in doing so, you all but have to sell your soul to get there.
I wish I had the determination and stamina!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sting - Broken Music, 29 Mar 2004
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
This is an excellent read, for anyone who is a Sting fan. It centres on his life before he became famous with the Police and his struggles to become taken seriously as a musician, rather than becoming a star. I read it in a couple of days, very interesting and unable to put it down. I am a big Sting fan, but I think that even if you are not, then you would find this book a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Metaphorically marvellous, 19 Feb 2004
This review is from: Broken Music: Memoirs (Hardcover)
This is certainly a good book - If you are interested in the early part of Sting's adulthood, before he really became famous.
I did find the fact the books is litterally littered with metaphors a little bit irritating - Sting is however an intelligent, articulate and sensitive author. The book also ends somewhat abruptly which leave you hungry for more.

Broken Music: Memoirs
Broken Music: Memoirs by Sting (Hardcover - 3 Nov 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01