4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not a book to be taken literally.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and re-read it often. The characters are interesting, the story is well-paced and well-told, and Phillipa Gregory invokes the sights and sounds of the Tudor court very well. In Mary Boleyn, the book's narrator, she creates a character that the reader cares about, and surrounds her with even more entertaining historical figures - if there is...
Published on 30 July 2007 by Alexandra Coke

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
If you don't mind your history distorted you may like this, but I'd rather have less modern interpretation of people's feelings and actions.
Published 16 months ago by Mrs. Alison Walker

‹ Previous | 140 41 4245 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Sep 2014
perfect

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dissapointing, 21 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
I was a little dissapointed by this book. It was well written and entertaining, but I just didn't enjoy it that much. After reading "The Queens Fool" I think I was expecting more. Although based on fact, it read more like a gossip colomn... still if you enjoy historical fiction then still worth reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Bad, Really Unfair!, 4 April 2011
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
I would also give this book.... NO STARS if I could! Please people who read this, DO NOT BASE ACCURATE HISTORICAL EVENTS ON THIS TRASH!!! This book is comparible to the National Enquirer of history! Just HORRIBLE!!!! The movie, just as bad!!! If you want more educated and accurate accounts of this period and these people pick up Eric Ives or David Starkey not this lady!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 15 May 2008
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
Everyone knows, how the story ends, yet this book is unputdownable. It may not be historically accurate, but it is a great novel that draws you in completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking !, 27 Mar 2010
Mme L. C. Chilcott "Ladyshay" (Haute Vienne, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
A really good read. the dynamics of sibling rivalary taken to it's upmost limit with a King for the prize. Philippa Gregory at her best. Fantastic read,.

3.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing despite the errors, 4 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
So many novels on this period and serious historian press home the foolishness of Mary compared with the more successful Anne that it is nice to read a tale that points out that an ordinary marriage and kids might be preferable to glamour and the block.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 6 Mar 2003
ellie (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
This is one of the most fantastic stories i have ever read. Both in the aspect of real life, as it is hard to believe that this incredible story of Henry 8th and his court is actually based on fact, and in the way that Philllipa Gregory brings it to life so vivdly in the reader's mind that it is hard for them to think of much else! While reading this novel, i found that my thoughts were being takenover by thoughts of Mary and her life within Henry's court and that the images and emotions that Gregory evokes in general kept appearing in my mind. In short, i was utterly spell bound.
I know nothing really of the history behind this novel other than the fact that Anne Boleyn was beheaded and, although maybe the time line is not totally accurate, i really found that my knowledge was improved about the period in general. I was also uncontrollably driven to find out more about Henry and his court. When walking by the tower the other day i found myself strangely moved,as if i had been there before but as Mary Boleyn. In a way I had, with Phillipa Gregory as she wrote in such a descriptive and passionate way. I just wish the story could go on a bit longer......and that I could find a man half as gorgeous as William Stafford!!

4.0 out of 5 stars a what thing to do to your sister.., 7 Jan 2008
Candy Adderley (Cambridgeshire,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
this book is what cold, wet winter days were made for..
INcredible dialogues, gripping scenes, spellbinding rivalry...
at times I had to pinch myself to mae sure I was still in the twentyfirst century...
ahhhhh...one sure enjoyable read

3.0 out of 5 stars Was anyone else expecting a biopic?, 27 July 2003
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
I didn't like the way this was written at all. Maybe I was just expecting something slightly more biographical, but I hated the way Gregory seems hell bent on making us all very aware that she is mentioning figures from history. At one point in the yarn, when she mentions the kings flirting with Jane Seymour (who eventually becomes Henry VIII's third wife) for the first time, she may as well have put a foot note which says "Aren't I clever!! I've managed to get Jane Seymour into the story! Consider for a moment the ironey that she becomes his wife when Anne is cast aside!" Irritating. I agree with the above review, a book for people with no interest in the reformation or Tudor history in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un Put downable, 22 Mar 2003
A. Barlow "Ann B" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
I read this on holiday and loved every word of it. I couldn't put it down. It contains everything.....romance, sex, violence, intrigue. Although I knew what Anne Boleyn's fate was I still couldn't put it down as watching her dreams unravel was compelling. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 140 41 4245 | Next ›

Other Boleyn Girl, the
Other Boleyn Girl, the by Philippa Gregory (Paperback - 17 Jun 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01