on 10 July 2003
The cover of this book got my attention to begin with but as soon as i started to read the first page i knew i would have to purchase it and I havent put it down since. You go through a series of emotions whilst reading this book and you feel for both Mark and Drew. When i started reading this book i was at my lowest point and i soon bonded with Mark and Drews story. It made me realise that every moment of happiness however, big or small was worth a life time of memories. I strongly recommend this book to anyone, I just couldnt put this book down. Well done to Mark because without his bravery and loyalty we wouldnt have got to know a truely wonderful man like Drew and what a wonderful life they had together.
on 29 March 2005
I was given this book by a family member who was so incredibly moved by Mark Sandersons honesty he left his job, and re-evaluated where he was in life. I too was left with a void once I had finished reading Wrong Rooms. Having gone through loss of loved ones to cancer - this was totally true to life and also unexaggerated illness. Wrong Rooms, helped me to grieve, and to laugh, and to love. A graphic portail of terminal illness along with the happiness of true love which will never die.
A hard book to put down, and also very hard to pick up again due to its honestly and untamed heart. This book should and hopefully will appeal to eveyone who has ever loved and lost. I was moved by Marks devotion.
on 29 May 2002
This was an extremely well written and moving book about the relationship between Mark and his lover Drew, who he met through a contact ad placed in Time Out. Although about a gay relationship its appeal is in love and the complications of death. Although some will focus on the manner in which Drew died, for me it was an account of love and the joys of being in a warm and loving relationship. Mark Sanderson does a remarkable job in writing about such a personal and emotive subject while still capturing the depth of his relationship and the obvious lasting impact it has on his life. For those who have experienced love, it is a book which will make you laugh. For those who have not it will encourage you to look for a soul mate. Excellent!
on 2 October 2002
What I want to say most of all is that this is an honest recounting of a painful period in the author's life. I share with him his emptiness in the period leading up to his meeting of Drew, however the author has experienced a joy and profound grief that I have yet to discover. Reading this auto-bio has shown me the depths of what love can mean to those that have discovered it.
Nicely written and painfully honest I have recommended this to friends. I hope that Mr. Sanderson didn't get into any legal strife over his revelations. I felt his love and equally I share his grief. What better can you say after reading a book such as this? Excellent reading.
on 22 June 2002
Frankly this is not usually the type of book I would read. I was half expecting a self indulgent apology by the author as to the manner of Drew's death.
I was wrong. I found the book deeply moving and admit to a few tears. At the same time though I was struck by the warmth and love of the book.
Mark Sanderson deserves the praise he has received for the sheer quality of the narrative and the tremendous courage he has shown in writing and publishing the book.
I can see that the content will upset and even anger some people. However, perhaps they should read and accept the book for the love so clearly and positively expressed as well as the the frank descriptions of the moral dilemmas faced by Mark and doubtless many others who have to come to terms with terminal illness.
on 9 April 2003
This book is about true love. The fact that it is a gay love story is irrelevant, love is love. The 'taboo' subjects that Mark Sanderson tackled in this book were of course, dealing with and hiding his sexuallity from his parents, The cancer, its treatments and people's reactions to it, and keeping the secret that he loved Drew so much that he would agree to end his life before the cancer did, are to name but a few. No wonder he had problems coming to terms with life after Drew's death. I admire his strength.
on 5 February 2005
'Wrong Rooms' by Mark Sanderson is an astonishing book. Painful and heart-breakingly honest, this memoir was as intense an emotional experience as I have ever felt reading a book. I cannot recommend 'Wrong Rooms' highly enough. I urge you to read it.
on 22 March 2003
This is an extraordinary book: exceptionally written, brutally honest and ultimately very powerful indeed. The legal issue is what makes the book unique but it is really a story about love and commitment, without being at all sentimental.
I hope Mark Sanderson found the writing of it helpful. He deserves the highest praise for having the courage to tell his story.
on 30 March 2011
I read this book several years ago and echo the previous reviews in the emotional response to what I thought was an amazing story. I lost a brother to cancer last year, one month from diagnosis to death and came across this book again on my bookshelf. It was an emotional rollercoaster reading it again, having been through the aspect of losing someone so quickly to this horrible illness; I saw my own experience from my own perspective, this book gave me a glimpse of what my brother's partner was going through, their relationship having too been under extreme pressure before and during his brief illness. Thank you Mark for sharing this with us and I sincerely hope you are in a happier place now. x
on 19 July 2009
Mark Sanderson writes a compelling account of the pain and passion of falling in love, made all the more poignant by his being unable to share his joy at falling in love as this is an affair that must be kept secret from family and all but the closest of friends and colleagues in the near certainty they will disapprove of his having chosen the wrong person. Just as their relationship is developing and maturing so love turns out to be a capricious friend and Mark faces the imminent loss of his true love. This is a painfully honest account of a true love found in difficult circumstances and then lost again far too soon. I cannot recommend it too highly for it's sheer honesty and, yes, humour.