5.0 out of 5 stars I knew this book would help.
Having struggled with diffrent issues in my life, i am always open to books that involve looking at emotions that touch that deep place inside. And this book does that, i came across this book in an article in one of our national newspapers. The small excerpts that i read touched me so much that i had to get the complete book for myself.
This book is a healing balm...
Published on 30 Sept. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars You die when you're supposed to!!?
This is a kindly and helpful book. However, to benefit from it's wisdom it is necessary to believe that "everybody dies when they're supposed to", and that the universe (more often God, as he/she is mentioned a lot in this book) is working out just as it should etc, etc. I find this approach hard to swallow and a little like wishful thinking. Taken to it's extreme the...
Published on 8 Dec. 2010 by D. C. Gowans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew this book would help., 30 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Life Lessons: How Our Mortality Can Teach Us About Life and Living (Paperback)
This book is a healing balm. No one can take control for you, in life you make your choices, be they right or wrong, and at times life with all its twists and turns, can be very hard. Yet inside these pages are people who have lived lives, who are in most cases seriously ill or dying, and the things they have to tell us are rare, full of love, kindness, trust and hope. To overcome the emotions of, bewillderment, anguish, fear is just so inspiring. This book will not make you a better or more deserving person, but in times of self introspection, when you feel that no one can possibly understand, and you feel alone. To read the pages in this book, and meet the people inside, to take what is offered, will give a sense of peace and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read, 30 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
Life Lessons is one of those books that EVERYONE should read. It is a call to all of us to live deeper richer lives. Because so many of the thoughts and lessons are taken from individuals, who were near death, including author, Elizabeth Kubler Ross, each lesson is deeply inspiring and profound.
I used David Kessler's book "The Needs of the Dying" as my guide while my father was ill and it provided my family and I with great comfort. I also highly recommend it for anyone in that situation.
While both these experts are known for their work with death and dying, LIFE LESSONS IS ABOUT LIFE....... LIVING AND LIVING WELL.
Life Lessons has and will continue to aid me with my life, as well as those around me and I believe it will help me to live it more fully and with more appreciation. I have given out many copies as gifts to friends. Every one of them has come back and thanked me again after reading it. It has changed many lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Lessons, 19 Mar. 2005
Sandeep Gill (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Yet another from the heart book by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. This book has such depth and yet remains concise. Whilst Kubler-Ross has previously emphasised on death and dying this book takes a slightly different pathway with much focus on how we live our lives today. Life Lessons does not offer a description on how to live your life, but offers a philosophical approach which i promise will make you think twice with the way you behave and the decisions you make daily (for the better). Once you start reading you'll find it hard to put the book down back down!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and wise!, 1 July 2012
Niki Collins-queen, Author "author" (Forsyth, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Elizabeth Kübler-Ross joins with David Kessler in their book "Life Lessons: Two Experts on Death and Dying Teach Us About the Mysteries of Life and Living" to guide us through life lessons and live fully in every moment.
"Life Lessons" is Elizabeth's eighteenth book. It's a special gift as it's the last book she wrote before her death in 2004. She had a stroke on Mother's Day in 1995 that left her paralyzed and next to death's door for many months. But she did not die. She says she's still learning the lessons of life. God is shrewd; her head was not affected by the strokes. She can't use her left leg and arm but she can talk and think. It's her final lesson. She must work on receiving, on learning to say thank you. To be nurtured rather than nurturing. Throughout her life, she gave and gave, but never learned to receive. She must learn patience and surrender.
Elizabeth says each of us has a Mother Teresa and a Hitler. The Mother Teresa is the best in us and the Hitler is the worst in us. The goal in life is to find the best, get rid of the worst and be authentic by standing in our truth. Admitting we have the capacity to be inauthentic and carry negativity is essential so we can work on the problem and release it. It's not always easy to find out who we are authentically. The reality of the world is that some relationships don't work out; there are supposed to be disagreements and disappointments.
David says the grandest kind of perfection of who we are includes being honest about our dark side and imperfections. Elizabeth says the windstorms of life, makes us who we are. We are here to heal one another. Most of us spend a lot of energy keeping a lid on our unfinished business. We want unconditional love. To be loved for who we are rather than what we do or don't do. However, when we feel unloved, it is not because we are not receiving love; it's because we are withholding love from ourselves and others. Love has to come from within. We can't solve all our loved ones problems but we can try to be there for them.
In working with the dying and the living it became clear to Elizabeth and David that most of us are challenged by the same lessons: authenticity, love, relationships, loss, power, guilt, time, fear, anger, play, patience, surrender, forgiveness and happiness. The fourteen chapters reveal the truth about theses topics, show we are put on the earth to learn the lessons, we are not alone and we are all connected. Also to watch love grow and to see how relationships enrich us.
I attended one of Elizabeth's five-day Living, Dying and Transition workshop in the early 80s. It had a profound effect on me and changed how I viewed the world. She showed us how everyone has the capacity to love others unconditionally and that it is our unfinished business that keeps us from doing so. In her workshop she created an environment where we were encouraged to express our hurt and rage in an atmosphere of love and acceptance, so we could be done with it. Feelings were not talked about but felt. If sad, we cried; if angry, we were given a rubber hose and an old telephone book and told, "Have at it!" I was skeptical about what this outpouring of negativity would accomplish. Yet it worked. I was amazed how angry, depressed people transformed themselves into radiant, loving persons right before my eyes. I realized in this workshop that we are all connected and that our life stories are much the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life's Lessons Learned - Thank You, 17 Feb. 2010
My wife died (too early) eleven months ago at the age of 62. Having just been through maybe half of the normal grieving process, I can say that I have been greatly helped by CRUSE bereavement counselling, this book, the deep-seated understanding of the authors and their compassion. This book is a must-read for everyone, not just those who are in the immediate aftermath of bereavement. The reason? It teaches something about the lessons of life that we ought to understand early in our lives rather than having left it (too) late.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of them life changing books !!!!, 14 Feb. 2010
Ms. K. A. Eddington (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
After loosing both my parents and trying to make sense of what life is all about i decided to purchase this book. After loosing my mum almost a year ago, i purchased EKR's The Five Stages of Loss which is a fab book and helped me enormously. Life Lessons is one of them books which inspires one to move on and see just how precious life is and how short it is. Once I started reading I could not put down !! All EKR's books are brilliant and come from the heart as this Fabulous Lady was dying herself!!! A must Have for anyone and everyone !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What I've been searching for, 11 July 2009
This book has freed my mind, this book has answered my questions on & about life, it has ended my struggle of 15 years & opened up a new life. After I read this book I purchased 8 more copies & gave them to friends, the feedback I got from them is that it has answered their questions & has also begun to change their lives & I can see their changes. It is an amazing book, it will alter your way of thinking & living & set you on a new journey in life, its a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolute must-have reference book, 30 Mar. 2009
C. Caneda (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after going through a divorce which co-incided with the birth of our second child. This book was (and still is) a fabulous reference with easy to read chapters. You can easily pick it up and read any chapter that is relevant in your life at that particular moment.
I used to lend it out but I never got it back! If my friends ever have a particularly challenging time, I buy this book for them on the condition that they do the same for anyone they know who needs inspiration. That way, I know I will always have a copy! It is not a book about death but a book to inspire you to live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Lessons, 23 Sept. 2010
I found this book when in my 60's, how I wish I could have been able to read it when I was in my teens. So many answers to life I found, that if I had known, would have made my life clearer and happier. Parents should give this book to their children after reading it for themselves. The investment will be well worth it as it answers so many areas of life that need to be thought about and the knowledge gleamed will lead to more rounded and wiser person, who will be less fearful of the experiences that life has to offer. I am now in my 70's and if I could read and give one book, this would be the one. To date I've bought 3 copies to give to my son's. Even today I return to the words of this book regularly when troubled by an issue or just need refresh my thoughts on issues of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing Book, 5 Jan. 2014
Just so lovely,helps you get your head round life,who we are and how we tick,i guarantee that anyone who picks this book up will take something from it,even if you just read a few pages.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›