5.0 out of 5 stars Empty Cages - phenomenal!
Published on 22 Nov 2007 by Ms. H. Stephenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not what I expected
Published on 27 Dec 2008 by Mutian

5.0 out of 5 stars Empty Cages - phenomenal!, 22 Nov 2007
Ms. H. Stephenson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights (Paperback)
This is one of the most astonishing books I have ever read! You will come away from it a changed person. Your relationship to the whole animal world, to your perception of our kindred species, to the clothes you wear and the food you put in your mouth - will be totally different. Empty Cages is an exceptional tour de force. Brilliantly written. I can't recommend it more highly. Buy it and tell all your friends about it! This is a book that could literally change the world. As Jane Goodall says, everyone should have a copy on their book shelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book will change your values if you let it, 27 Jan 2006
Some people really like cats, dogs or horses but limit their thinking about animals to establishing the best way to feed, train, exercise or house their own particular pet. Maybe you like watching documentaries about wildlife too ? David Attenborough for example is educative and entertaining.
I myself am a person like this, and after reading this great, passionate book I now realise that this is not enough. Tom Regan says he wrote this book for people like me and succeeds in presenting his 'strong' animal rights stance in a very persuasive way. He begins with the idea of moral rights for humans and their abuse by other humans, goes on to animals rights using the same implacable logic.
My end-of-book problems are really not so much to doubt the proposition 'if people have rights, then animals have them too' but rather 'do rights really exist anyway for any of us'. What my teenage nephew said in his brutal teenage way was 'aren't we really just the strongest species, so we can do what we like. After all, we've won the battle of evolution'. Which remains to be seen of course...
I suppose rights exist if we choose to describe them and make them law. And if we know in our hearts it should be so.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ FOR ANY ARA !, 14 Mar 2011
Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights
This is a brillient, inspiring, thought provoking book on Animal Rights. It motivates me to get out there and play my part in realising a new world where all creatures are respected and free. I was almost in tears ( from the tenderness of the final paragraph).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not what I expected, 27 Dec 2008
I'm a big animal rights supporter so I bought this book thinking there'd be tips and that kind of stuff on activism. Instead it's more about theories, the connection between the human mind and animals. Sure, it is interesting in the sense that you are able to answer yourself some questions like, "Why do people wear fur?" but if you're looking for something to help you become more involved in animal rights activism or give you ideas on that sort of thing then this isn't the book you should buy.

Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights
Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights by Tom Regan (Paperback - 7 July 2005)