4.0 out of 5 stars Something different

Published on 7 Aug 2010 by Miss Preddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Less cross-stitch than previously, 7 Aug 2010
Miss Preddy (Sundsvall, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cross Stitch 2011 Day to Day Calendar (Calendar)
I bought this calendar on the strength of my previous one, for this year. In the 2010 version, there are no new designs on the weekends as they leave this sheet for the colour codes of the week days, in the 2011 version there are only 3 designs per week; 1 for Monday & Tuesday, 1 for Wednesday & Thursday and the last for Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Instead, the designer has laid over about 20 sheets for a guideline on how to cross stitch. This is fine if you're a beginner, but I imagine most of the people buying this calendar will not be, and having only 3 designs per week, for me at least, is really too few. I was a little dissapointed at the change in format, as I am enjoying my 2010 calendar very much (the no cross stitch on the weekends is not a big deal for me, it gives me a chance to actually do those designs from the week).

Also, in the 2010 calendar there were quite a few designs I just wouldn't have any use for, particularly partriotic American designs (the designer is American, after all) and 'pun' designs which are just corny. I am disappointed to say, the number of designs I will not be doing has increased, with such cross stitch designs as "I love America", "Support Our Troops" and a lot of computer slang designs ("LOL, OMG", etc.). I just thought for a product that is being sold in the UK also, it was a bit strange to have so many Americana designs. One good feature of the 2010 calendar is that the designs are either 5x5" or 7X5", but in this new calendar, the designs often don't fit the whole page (which is fine if the design is a bookmark or something) and instead gives room to unnecessary quotes.

Anyway, I just wanted to give people the opportunity to know what was in this calendar before buying it. Perhaps my quibbles will not be important for others, but at least you have a little more information to go on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Cross Stitch 2011 Day to Day Calendar (Calendar)
The calendar has a different cross-stitch design for every 2 -3 days which means that if you don't like a design, you could be looking at it for longer than you want to. Most of the designs so far (as of 7th February) are ones I'd consider stitching, but there are quite a few cute ones, which are not to my taste. Each design has a chart on the reverse and stitching details on the front, along with suggestions for use. Some charts are contractions of previous ones, which, along with the fact of not having one for every day, makes me feel a little short-changed.
However, each sheet is of good quality paper, the colours are well-defined and the charts clear and easy to follow. That said, the colour key is printed on the following weekend's sheet, which isn't particularly helpful.
Over all, I like the concept of this calendar and consider it good value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the quality, 15 Jan 2011
This review is from: Cross Stitch 2011 Day to Day Calendar (Calendar)
I have bought this calendar for several years now, and am very dissapointed in the quality this year. I suppose it is a case of putting the price up, or the quality down. There is now only 3 sheets per week instead of 6, and the quality of the artwork, paper, box, in fact everything, is not as good. It is a shame, probably will not bother to buy again.

Cross Stitch 2011 Day to Day Calendar
Cross Stitch 2011 Day to Day Calendar by Accord Publishing (Calendar - 1 Sep 2010)
Used & New from: £32.33