Format: Hardcover|Change

When my children were young, I looked in vain for children's books that contained inspirational aphorisms. I wanted to find such books because brief quotes by important historical figures had always played a big role in my life.

I was thrilled to find that Ian Falconer had taken some of his prior drawings of Olivia and selected appropriate inspirational quotes around the theme of "Dream Big." Naturally, there's irony here . . . beginning with the fact that the book is in a very small format, like that of gift books.

Although the book's page size is small, there are thirty quotes and matching illustrations. I thought that the illustrations and quotes were well matched . . . often providing adult humor as well as kiddy laughs. In fact, you'll probably find yourself having an opportunity to explain a few of these quote and illustration combinations (a great chance for bonding with a child) such as "You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note" with a Olivia singing by herself and "Dreams say what they mean, but they don't say it in daytime language" with Olivia dreaming of singing on stage in a red gown. Some of the illustrations also make for good fun, being puns on the quote.

Please realize that there is no story to connect the quotes . . . this book is inspirational rather than story-telling.

Dream Big with Olivia!
on 3 December 2011
Really good book, my daughter loved it (she is gradually collecting the whole set). Great story and lovely illustrations. Something she will keep and pass on.
on 31 December 2015
I didn't read the description properly and was surprised to receive a book of quotes rather than a story book but it's still a lovely book.