4.0 out of 5 stars Different...in a good way

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Different...in a good way, 18 Jan. 2010
C. E. MCKEOWN (KENT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contagious (Paperback)
I liked this. Alien invasion...funny little purple triangles on the skin, sub-visual, dermal infection, an alien craft miles above the earth trying to populate our planet. Good originality - blending genres effectively. Enough science to keep you believing, story line that has a reasonable pace. I would buy another of Sigler's books based upon this, my first exposure - enough said?

2.0 out of 5 stars What You Call the Disease, I Call the Remedy, 23 July 2014
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs you may have a chance of beating an alien race that is trying to infect and takeover all humans. Scott Sigler's `Contagious' is the second book in a series in which this happens. Things are still in the early days and the US government still have a lid on things; covertly destroying outbreaks without the population knowing. However, when things begin to expand rapidly can the government keep on track, or will they require the help of deranged survivor Perry Dawsey?

`Contagious' is schlock science fiction and should be treated as such, but even this knockabout subgenre should have some standards. As an idea, `Contagious' and its sister books work - this is not just another disease outbreak novel, but also an intelligent alien threat. The two combine to make a far more interesting dynamic as the disease has an intelligence you don't get in your average case of mega-rabies of undeaditus.

However, elsewhere in the book Sigler does an extremely poor job. Characterisation is abysmal at times. The specialists assigned to finding a cure for the disease could not be any less professional had they signed up to box at The Commonwealth Games. The teasing, ribbing and general joviality of this supposedly elite team really sits uneasily with what is a pandemic that could destroy the world. When they are actually tested to any degree they fall to pieces and are next to useless. Annoying characters and daft decision making really distracts from the story. I hope that in any real situation the people put in charge will run around at least as if their heads where still attached.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great continuation to the series, 4 Nov. 2013
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contagious (Paperback)
Immediately after I finished reading the first book in this series, Infected, I had to continue with Contagious. Although not your classic cliffhanger ending, I wanted to get to the next part of the story, and because I have read Contagious before, I knew that it was more action-packed, intense and gory apocalyptic horror just waiting for me.

Where Infected focuses on three main perspectives in Margaret, Perry and Dew, Contagious broadens to include a host of other unforgettable characters, some of whom are definitely not your normal baddies, and a disease that grows more and more brutal as the story continues.

What I particularly enjoyed about the characters in Contagious is the development - Perry is still dealing with the events of Infected and the impact is intense. As the book progresses however, he definitely develops into an even more admirable character and I really enjoyed seeing his relationships with the other characters grow. For much of Infected he was flying solo, and it was the final piece of his character that fell into place.

I also felt that I got to know Margaret as a character more intimately than I did after Infected, and it definitely warmed me to her, particularly as she struggled with some difficult decisions. Knowing that she is the main focus of the next book in the series, this was a huge plus for me - if I hadn't found her to be more likeable than in Infected, it probably would have muted my anticipation for Pandemic.

Dew also continues to become more of a well-rounded character as he begins to let down the walls that he had in the previous book and connects with the other characters on a more personal level. It felt like all three characters were completely invested in the storyline and in each other, and seeing that growth was incredibly satisfying.

One thing that really stood out to me in Contagious is the increased military presence. Understandably, its not that prevalent in Infected which focuses far more on the initial outbreak, but it's also something that I don't find particularly interesting, although by my standards it was very well written and explained. This is particularly where Contagious was a weaker book for me than Infected and I found the POV of the character most heavily involved in the military aspect to be the least interesting and I started to develop that nasty habit of rushing through a POV just to get through that part of the story. This is all a personal preference of course.

The pacing of the story is fast yet detailed and once again the shorter chapters (and the chapter headings are pure genius by the way) made it difficult to put the book down. The POVs switch quite often, which I know is a turn off for some people, but I like the fast-moving feeling that it gives the story as it fits with the pacing. Contagious ends not with a cliffhanger but openly, leaving a way for the story to be continued, but enough to round off the book perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars This most excellent sequal to "Infected" will leave you gobsmacked, 20 Aug. 2009
Yngve Sjølset "Yngve Sjølset" (Frei, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contagious (Paperback)
Perry Dawsey; more furious and and angrier than ever.
This is a real pageturner, with lots and lots of violence humour and no pussyfooting around.
Absolutely fantastic stuff!
Go buy it!
Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars A roller coaster ride, 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Contagious (Paperback)
I finished Contagious much faster than I anticipated because it was quite simply brilliant. The action and suspense were non-stop and I grew to really care about the characters. The book throws up some interesting "What if?" questions as well. I think fans of Justin Cronin's "The Passage" would enjoy this. Incidentally, I didn't read "Infected" beforehand but it didn't affect my enjoyment of this book, and there was no confusion because Sigler doesn't assume the reader has read the prequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 21 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Contagious (Paperback)
This sequel, to the first in Scott Siglers upcoming trilogy (Infected, Contagious, Pandemic), is easily the most epic yet. What amazes me most about the book, I think, is how Sigler manages to make Perry Dawsey, a violent ex football player struggling with his violent family history, a character that readers can care about even through his haze of flaws. The writing is excellent, the science solid, the story brilliant and the violent alien race that threatens much more then just Perry, is as chilling, calculating and merciless as ever. what more could you want? I read it through and am eagerly awaiting the sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 27 May 2010
L. Anderson (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contagious (Paperback)
Very good follow up to "INFECTED." Picks the story up straight away and carries on at a relentless pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Contagious (Kindle Edition)
This was my first experience of Sigler and despite the fact that I'd not yet read Infected, that didn't diminish my enjoyment one bit. The relationship that develops between Perry Dawsey and Dew Phillips alone is worth the money and an exceptional storyline, which romps along at a breakneck pace, will leave you craving more. Join the junkies!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 28 Dec. 2011
Mr. L. R. Tombs "coinman_2002" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contagious (Kindle Edition)
Kindle offered this for free ...... and it`s one of the best books I have read this year. Fast paced, lots of plot twists and great characters. So if you haven`t read it......why not???

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!!!!, 20 Aug. 2008
Mrs. M. Boldan (rotherham,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contagious (Hardcover)
Ive never heard of this guy but after reading this book I cant wait for the next installment which I believe is out in december.
I couldnt put it down it was great,I usually go for horror but I found the story gripping. I couldnt wait to get to the next bit.The characters are great esp the big guy,youll know who I mean when you read it.He made me laugh,sad,he was great.
Hope you enjoy it as much as me......

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Contagious
Contagious by Scott Sigler (Audio CD - 30 Dec. 2008)
Used & New from: £18.30