4.0 out of 5 stars winter is coming at a glacial pace
It's been quite the wait for the latest installment of G.R.R.Martin's (GRRM) A Song of Ice and fire series and during the wait there have been some very impressive new additions to the fantasy field (Abercrombie, Bakker, Lynch and Abraham). So I was interested to see whether the quality still holds up with the new competition. The first thing I have to say is that, yes it...
Published on 14 Aug 2011 by Neil J. Pearson

3.0 out of 5 stars Intricate, but Underwhelming.
ADWD was a loooong time in the waiting, and since the previous book was a character-driven travelogue, it was generally believed that this would make up for it with plenty of action and plot resolution. Not so. This, like A Feast For Crows, is 1000 pages of scenic character study.

The characters travel about, and have immense conversations with other people...
Published on 17 July 2011 by Elspeth Flashman

5.0 out of 5 stars Book 5, 28 Oct 2011
Another excellent in the series. Keeps you spellbound throughout and follows in the tradition of the others. Would recommend this to anyone who has read any of the others in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing...., 29 Sep 2011
There are some some moments that you think 'what the hell is the George Martin doing...but overall was a really enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, 17 Aug 2011
Martin is an excellent writer. This book does add generously to the developing story of A Song of Ice and Fire, but perhaps the idea of splitting the characters between Feast of Crows and Dance with Dragons was not the best. You could easily accuse Martin of excessive background description, unnecessarily expanding the dramatis personae and (obviously) being too damn slow in issuing books, but denying his excellence as a writer is not a plausible way to approach a critique of his work.

4.0 out of 5 stars A long wait, but it was worth it, 10 Aug 2011
As an introduction, I must say I am not a long time fan of A song of fire & ice. I actually discovered the books late last year, which is quite surprising as I'm a quite heavy fantasy amateur. But in any case, the fact is that I finished volume 4 last winter, only to discover that the sequel had been expected for the last 8 years, to my great despair ! The minute I heard that George R. R. Martin was finally gonna release the book in july, I was really thrilled, and pre-ordered it on amazon the day it was possible to do so.

I'm not done with the book yet, but have covered something like 300 pages, and this alone should be alone for a review.

This 5th book doesn't really take it where the last one left us. It can be a tad confusing, and I've found myself wondering if I had the right book at times. In the end, it all falls back in place, and the dual coverage of the same events actually add a lot to the story. The first half covers 5 to 10 characters, in (more or less) parallel storylines, a method that was already used in the previous books. It can be confusing sometimes, and I have to admit that some chapters give me quite a hard time, but maybe this is related to the fact that english ain't my native language...

Martin's style is still as good as it was before, and you can feel that LOTS of care was put in this writing. Political relationships still feel very solid, and you gradually learn maybe more than you wish you would have about the universe.

My main concern might be the introduction of new, major characters, sometimes a bit out of the blue, but I'm sure the author knows where he is going... right ?

Whatever happens, if you have read the first four, no hesitation. If you haven't, well, don't hesitate too much either !

5.0 out of 5 stars Well recommended, 25 Jan 2012
I have enjoyed this series so much. I admit the TV series set me off to start reading them. Im usually a biography and history fan but these have re awaken my enjoyment of fantasy and fiction

4.0 out of 5 stars the final chapter, or not???, 26 Sep 2011
i thought this book would conclude all the characters journeys but it unravels even more. i think these stories may run on for years but they are becoming a bit long winded now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but can be better, 4 Sep 2011
Well... after six years the new "A Song of Ice and Fire" as come out. "A Dance with Dragons" is the fifth book in this saga (and second in length) and due to its very late release (at first, George R. R. Martin predicted the release to 2006, so it is five years late) a lot of excitement and frustration was always hanging in the air.

In this tome of 1000+ pages, we follow all the other characters we didn't in "A Feast for Crows", that is until a certain time when all the points of view are present. This novel, much like its counterpart, is slow paced, taking more than enough time to expose ideas and prepare the possible outcomes. That doesn't means nothing happens, in fact you can start to see the story moving on at a slightly faster pace than in its predecessor.

What can I write about the story? Well, it all starts after "A Storm of Swords" and due to the division of characters there are a few chapters of contact with "A Feast for Crows", similar in most aspects but told by different characters. Besides that, there's not much to write, just enjoy the landscapes, get surprised by people and their acts and be horrified by the Free Cities. And all that told by Jon, Tyrion, Daenerys, Melisandre, Davos, Arya, new characters and others.

In conclusion, this novel is not very different from its predecessor, even if a bit faster and more contentful. It stays basically in the same molds (in the mode of procrastination), however it is far more enjoyable because we get to see the Wall and Beyond the Wall and the Free Cities, the more exotic parts of the story.

As in all books of "A Song of Ice and Fire", "A Dance with Dragons" depicts Martin's engaging and fresh prose, making everything better.

Recommend, because I know if you enjoyed the previous books you will like this big sample of fiction.

Till next time,
M.I.T.H. (ManInsideTheHelm)

4.0 out of 5 stars I will keep reading!, 2 Sep 2011
Because the author took so long in bringing this out, I felt I had to read the others all over again 'Big Mistake'. These books are just too long to read them all in one go. I find that G. Martin is much like Robert Jordan in the way that he almost bogs you down in the sheer amount of detail he uses. That being said, I love his characters and I love the story, I still get shocked whenever he kills someone off that I have got invested in.

I found book 5 to be quite a good read and maybe the best in the series so far, I like the way that all parties seem to be making progress towards a point where a decisive turn will happen and in my opinion the ending to book 5 holds the biggest twist in the series so far.

I can't wait another 4 years for the next chapter in the series. Hurry up George!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling book, 13 Aug 2011
I could not wait for the french translation of this book (2014 to get it entirely is too long), so I bought it on this site. At first, I'd like to say that it was a perfect transaction, the book was well-packed and the shipping really fast.
Then, it was a real pleasure to read it in the original form : the text is clear, without any difficulties of understanding. I was delighted to meet Tyrion, Jon or Daenerys again through my reading (I missed them in the previous book). The plot is still brilliantly written, the cliffhangers astonishing. When I finished it, I just wanted one thing : more !

Edit : I have to add something to my previous commentary : I started reading ASOIAF only in summer 2011, so I didn't have to wait six years to read it. As a result, I didn't feel tired of the story, I enjoyed it as much as the other books.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dance with Dragons, 8 Aug 2011
Jerry McIntire (Indianapolis, IN, US) - See all my reviews
Very poor packing or protection for a 1st edition book being sent to a overseas collector. If I have to pay a little more too properly protect my investment then you should offer this option, not charge me more for faster shipping and package it the same inadequate way!

A Dance with Dragons Part 1 and 2 (Song of Ice and Fire)
A Dance with Dragons Part 1 and 2 (Song of Ice and Fire) by George R. R. Martin (Audio CD - 12 July 2011)
Used & New from: £32.21