5.0 out of 5 stars Better quality and value compared to the Adult Edition
Published on 17 Feb 2009 by Jon

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but some caveats
I think most people considering purchasing this set have previously read some or all of the Harry Potter books. So we all like Harry. The question is do we like this set.

Published on 29 Jan 2010 by K. McConville

5.0 out of 5 stars Better quality and value compared to the Adult Edition, 17 Feb 2009
I spent a long time deciding which version of the paperback books to buy (the adult or children editions). Although the front cover art-work on the adult editions is more attractive (to me, as an adult), the print is terrible in comparison (tiny, blocky font on cheaper/rougher paper), and sadly makes the books feel very cheap. I went for the children's edition, and have not regretted it! The books in this edition are set on good quality paper, with a easy-on-the-eye font, and come in a sturdy flip-top cardboard case. Look no further!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to own the full set!, 21 Jan 2008
Held together in a very nice box, the full set of the adult Harry Potter books are very high quality and well worth the money. These books will last a long time and be enjoyed again and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but some caveats, 29 Jan 2010
K. McConville (Trevor, WI) - See all my reviews

I read all the reviews here before I purchased. The comments about the quality of the paper, the binding, the small margins and font, the inconsistencies of the spines and the damage to the slipcase from shipping are all true.

That said, the set is fine.

This is not a set of a special edition or printing. These are the same editions that were recently sold separately to the mass market. The publisher has wrapped them in a slipcase and is selling them as a boxed set. Which is fine.

I would have been happy to pay extra for a boxed set with acid free paper, cloth bindings, etc. but it doesn't exist.

I would recommend purchasing the Bloomsbury Children Edition Boxed Set over this one. The paper and the bindings are the same but the margins and font are larger and there are illustrations (always a nice touch).

While I read and enjoyed the Scholastic editions, I would not recommend them. I was upset to find out they changed the author's language for the U.S. audience. Bad form.

1.0 out of 5 stars Check your Books, 6 Jan 2011
Everyone who has bought this box set needs to check that the books are correct to the covers, as the final book in the set we have received, The Deathly Hallows had the correct cover but was in fact The Half Blood Prince. As the returns policy is only 30 days we are unable to return the set for credit, so just be aware and check!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reveiw of Product as well as books, 3 Dec 2010
Absolutely brilliant..
They are special edition books with a window in the middle of the front cover showing a snapshot of the the original mary grandpre covers to the books...
The books are covered in a fabric material, to give an authentic and old feel to the books, with the front being signed by JK Rowling (printed of course)in gold ink below the snapshot covers.. there is no synopsis on the back (refreshingly).. just plain fabric..
The books come in a rigid cardboard box lined with the same fabric as the book and the bottom of the box being signed with a little inscription listing the books in the series...

The series themselves.. just try book one.. thats all i have to say.. from 8 years to 108... your guaranteed to enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set, worth every UK pound., 21 April 2009
I just got it, took 2 weeks but after all I live in Israel so, that's pretty fast for non-express deliver.

I am very perfectionist when it comes to books, and the 2 importent things that I wanted to get from this set was:
1) that books will be in a mint/near-mint condition.
2) That the books are, in fact, the real british version.

This set answers all the above, Not only that each book is in mint/near-mint condition, but the box set is big, strong, and looks really beautiful.

Worth each and every UK pound I paid for it.
Thank you amazon.uk, you are the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice but still a little bit disappointed, 4 Oct 2007
M. Lebegge (Belgium) - See all my reviews
When I mailed Bloomsbury if ever they would make a special edition of all Harry Potter books, they told me that October 2007 would be the release of a special edition with cloth hard cover and gold gilt (not sure about the word, but it is the gold edge of the paper), so I expected a luxurious edition, which you would expect for 185.

I would have expected better quality paper, heavier paper and smoother, definitely a more firm and heavier hardback, and I have seen better gold gilt as well. You expect book 4, 5, 6 and 7 to be quite heavy, but they aren't.
I did not expect a Pleiade like quality, but at least close to it....

Well, I am a fan, so I keep it....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and sober with just some negative details, 25 Dec 2007
Samuel Silva (Telheiro, Portugal) - See all my reviews
Well, many have written about the stories of each book and if you are thinking in buying a boxed set you have probably read all that. So, I will just keep to this particular boxed set as an all.

The look of the boxed set as you can see it on the picture is quite close to what you get in reality. The books and case, being mostly black, give a very sober aspect to the set. The binding is reasonable. I still did not read The Order of the Phoenix (the largest volume) so I cannot say surely that it will handle the reading, but it seems it will.

As another reviewer pointed out the pages have very narrow margins which means they are a bit crowded with text. This influences negatively our first impression of the books. Nevertheless, as the stories are fast paced one tends to forget this issue. On the other hand having larger margins would surely mean breaking some of the largest volumes in two (or three) to keep them at reasonable dimensions.

The paper used is also of reasonable quality, yielding a nice flexibility and resistance. It would ease the reading if it was softer (a bit like Bible paper) as the books cannot be left open in any page.

All books have black dust jackets with Harry Potter written in embossed gold letters. Below the dust jackets there are plain black covers with gold lettering on the spine.

But, apart from the notes I left above, one must not forget the price one pays for this set. So the options taken regarding margin size, binding and paper quality are, I think, a compromise to attain such a reasonable price. And I would rate it as 5 stars. So, why am I giving 4?

The 4 stars are due to some details which I find could have been taken into account without interfering with the production costs.

If you look to the boxed set picture you will notice that the first four books have vertical lettering on the spine and the last three have horizontal lettering. This looks a bit weird. Why should anyone think in doing the lettering different after the fourth book?. Specially if they had to reduce the horizontal lettering sizes depending of the size of the book? This annoys me quite a bit. Why not stick with the first idea?

The second issue which I think could have been better looked at is the size of the case. Well, the books are neatly packaged inside, very securely. The problem is how to take them out to read!! As all the books are tightly together and because they fully reside inside the case one cannot easily put a finger on each side or even on the top to take them out. Books 1 and 7 are the hardest. So I keep them slightly out of the case to manage to take them to read which in general means I have to push the case a bit from the shelf...

So, for these two issues which I think could have been properly dealt with I give this set 4 stars. Apart from them this is a nice set, at a reasonable price, to read this great set of stories!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this set UPDATE: Quality Issues, 7 Oct 2009
Daniel Glascock (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I really like this adult version of the Harry Potter book set. I checked all over the online bookstores here in the states and only found this set from a few stores. They all wanted much more than I could get it from Amazon UK and have it shipped over here. If you like the movies you will love the books. If you want the adult version of the hardcover set, save some money and get it from Amazon UK.

UPDATE:
I finished reading this set last year, and I just thought that I would post an update because I'm thinking of re-reading them (after I finish Lord of the Rings again). I really like the story, but my update is about the quality of the books. After I finally got to Order of the Phoenix, I'm a slow reader, I discovered that this book and the Half Blood Prince were damaged due to shipping, I can only presume. It was my own fault for not checking them all out first when I got them. I wouldn't have shipped them all the way back to the UK anyway. The damage to the hard covers aside, the books themselves after reading through them were printed very POORLY! I don't know if I just got a bad set or what, but the quality control for the books was really shabby. I had several printing problems where the print had faded or was not the right lettering in the word. I have really never seen anything like it. I actually had a whole page, I forget which book ("The Order" I think) where the previous page was repeated on the next page. It was very bizarre, and confusing when you are really getting into the story, to sit there and say "I've just read that". Anyway, the misprints, not the whole page, but the fading print and the misprinted words are a repeating theme throughout this book-set.

It is something that you can get over. I did anyway. Just beware that the quality can be poor, for what I thought was going to be a nice hardcover set. I'm moving my rating down from 5 stars to 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just arrived today, and I'm really happy., 25 Nov 2011
I ordered this Harry Potter Hardback Boxed Set (Signature Edition) as well as Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Comic Relief Edition, Quidditch Through the Ages: Comic Relief Edition, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition. I have the US editions of the books, but I wanted the UK editions.

As far as the content goes, I obviously love the books very much. They're my absolute favorite books and I'm very excited to be able to read the UK editions.

The Box:
It's a pretty box. I think it's made of cardboard, but the surface is very smooth and nicely decorated. The box closes with a magnet in the front flaps. Just be careful. Although the magnet is good enough to keep the box closed when it's on a shelf, it's not strong enough to bear the weight of all the books if the box is tilted. If, like me, you decide to turn the box over to look the pictures on all the sides, make sure to hold the flaps closed! (Fortunately, the box was on the bed when I did this, so the books didn't fall out or anything.)

The box for the paperback set looks really nice as well (just from the pictures I've seen, I think I like it even more than the hardback box) but I decided to go with the hardback set, since I read the books so often.

The books:
I really like the way the books look. There's a picture on the front and the back of each book, as well a quote from a positive review of Harry Potter on the back of each book. Each book is a different color, and the ribbon markers match the color of each book. I've grown attached to the US illustrations, since I grew up with them, but these are really nice as well.

For those who may be curious: The UK editions are smaller in size than the US editions. There are fewer pages, and if you lay a UK edition book on top of its US counterpart (which I tried with Order of the Phoenix) the UK book is about 3 cm shorter and 2 cm narrower. The margins are smaller, there is no table of contents, and there aren't pictures at the beginning of each chapter. (By contrast, the UK Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages are thicker than their US counterparts.)

I tried to quickly inspect the books, since I'd read that some people found damage. The only damage I found was a tiny dent in the top edge of Prisoner of Azkaban. It's not really noticeable, though, and it's not a reason for me to send the book back.

Shipping Information for US buyers:
I live in the US and had no trouble ordering this. Shipping was very reasonable: 15.95 GBP for all the items. The total price (this box set + Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them + Quidditch Through the Ages + The Tales of Beedle the Bard + shipping) came to 93.00 GBP ~ 152.12 USD. The whole package was delivered very quickly, in three days, which was less than the promised delivery time.

If you go to a search engine and type in "amazon uk to us shipping" you'll get a page with Amazon UK's North America Delivery Rates. I tried to calculate what it would be before ordering, so I could anticipate how much more money I'd have to save up, and my calculation was correct. Just follow the directions on the page. (When calculating the shipping price, the box set counts as one book, by the way, not seven.)

I'd definitely recommend these books. They'd make a good present for a Harry Potter fan or for someone who loves to read, but hasn't read the series yet.

Harry Potter 1-7 Audio Collection