Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 October 2007
I had no pages either missing or duplicated, which has happened to others --- see other reviews. This is probably the best value guitar songbook I have bought. Incredibly, you get two full CDs of John Hurt's original recordings selected to match the transcriptions. Stefan Grossman's transcriptions show what a true scholar he is of this blues form. He has a truly deep feeling for Hurt's music. Each tune is represented by first a basic melody version, which is great for players like me who like to pick just the melody, and then a full fingerstyle version, which is beyond me at the moment but which I will hopefully graduate to over time. If you like Hurt's music I don't think there is a better songbook available. I have other blues songbooks that include the odd Hurt song but none of those versions are a patch on Grossman's transcriptions. Highly recommended. I just hope that the binding issues are a thing of the past. Then again, the two CDs alone are worth the price here. One more thing, why aren't the other books in the series available? Only the Country Blues Anthology volume seems to be available. The sister books on Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller and others, I cannot find anywhere.
on 29 May 2009
Mississippi John Hurt's guitar style is at once simple yet subtly complex; on first hearing you think 'I can play that' but when you try you quickly realise it's deceptively difficult. This book, with its very clear tablature and the accompanying CDs (you get two full length CDs with the book), as well as the musical notation for those that can read it, answers questions you don't even know need asking. I went from 'plink, plinking' one or two painful bars of 'Stack O'Lee' to an admittedly bumpy complete run-through in a few days. And at my limited skill level, that is quite a satisfying result. I recommend this book whole-heartedly, and if I could meet Stefan Grossman I would thank him whole-heartedly too. I feel that MJH's guitar style is now within my reach, and all I've got to do is practice.... maybe forever though.
on 2 August 2007
After buying the "Blind Blake" book of this series I decided to purchase "Mississippi John Hurt" next with a view to collecting all the books of the Early Masters of American Blues Guitar by Stefan Grossman. But when I recieved the book, after nearly a month of waiting after placing the order,I was dissappointed to discover that not all the songs in the book are included on the cd's that came with the book, and worst still, fifteen pages (65 to 80) were missing and replaced with a repeat of pages 49 to 64.
In my mind, this is pretty poor quality. What happened to the quality control part of the publication process?
I will be attempting to return this book and get my money back.
on 5 October 2007
I decided to purchase "Mississippi John Hurt" at a bargain price, but when I received the book I too was very disappointed to discover that fifteen pages (65 to 80) were missing and replaced with a repeat of pages 49 to 64. I thought mine was a one-off, but obviously it is only poor quality control in respect of the publication process. I have returned the book and will now be seeking a refund. Stefan G should be told!
on 20 October 2015
An extremely well tabbed out book of the great John S Hurt. These are such enjoyable songs to listen to and play, Mr Grossman's choice of songs are superb, teaching you a selection in different keys so you really get a feel for the different mini systems and nuances that Mississippi John employed in his playing style. The tab layout, once gotten used to, becomes second nature. The two CDs included are a nice touch as you can listen to them in the car and learn the melodies in your head. One of the best purchases I have made to further my blues playing, this is essential reading!
on 6 January 2010
I am a fan of country blues music for guitar in particular Mississipi John Hurt, The large easy to read tab in this book arranged by Stefan Grossman together with two audio CD's with all the songs played by John Hurt are excellent and if you like John Hurt's songs and play acoustic guitar you must buy this book
on 27 November 2010
Absolutely fantastic, all the pages are included in my copy.
Recommended for intermediate guitarists, but also beginners can use the lyrics + chords pages that come before each song.

And if you don't play guitar but like John Hurt the 2 CD's are worth the price.
on 15 March 2015
I found the book very helpfull and with cd even more so.without cd you would not get the correct sound especially being a beginner like me.
on 22 May 2016