5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 11 Nov 2013
If you like reading books about this subject then buy this book excellent read well done Ken best of the lot regarding this subject

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable overview of aerial phenomena, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Encounters with Flying Humanoids: Mothman, Manbirds, Gargoyles & Other Winged Beasts (Paperback)
I've read a lot of cryptozoology books, but this is the first I've read by Ken Gerhard. Production values among this genre are usually pretty variable and I'm happy to say this is one of the better produced books. Of course it's not without errors, but this seems fairly typical nowadays.

Anyway to the content. As the title obviously suggest it's an examination of humanoid aerial phenomena. The book is split up into themed chapters, which for the most part works pretty well. The range of material spans nineteenth century US newspaper reports to modern sightings associated with the UFO genre. I was familiar with the nineteenth century newspapers reports, which are always good fun regardless, and more famous entities such as the Mothman and New Jersey Devil. However, there was also enough unfamiliar material in the book to stir my imagination. I have in mind the Mexican aeronaut evidence. As a bonus at the end of the book is an appendix featuring winged creatures from mythology. There are a number of decent illustrations throughout, which add to the mood.

I felt that Gerhard's narrative bounced along at a good pace without being too drawn out or short. I like the way he presented the evidence and he doesn't try to argue strongly for one particular view over another. Although, a decent conclusion attempts to synthesise different views at the end. What really works in the book though is the balance, by which I mean it's length and the choice of material in it. I find some books provide too much anecdotal evidence and lose their shock impact. In this case I think Gerhard and the publisher have got it just right. All in all I found it a very good read and would recommend it to others who may be tempted.

11.75