5.0 out of 5 stars EXCITED
Published on 14 July 2012 by beabright

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book; great pictures; but very poor quality cards
I could find this a really usable tarot pack. The pictures are great, and I found reading them very natural. Unfortunately, given the flimsy nature of the cards, I'm scared to use them. One good shuffle and I very much fear the whole pack will be ruined.

The accompanying book is very good.

All in all, not really worth the price. Yes, the cards...
Published on 3 Dec 2012 by Raven Stone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCITED, 14 July 2012
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
You know when you get a buzz before you open the box?..Well the box itself was a surprise, I didn't expect them to be in one for a start as I had got them from the market place. The book was also a surprise, not a small skimpy thing..but a full sized detailed pictured one. I have given them 5 stars because I felt mean doing anything else but..and yes there is one...the cards themselves although beautiful are SOOO flimsy and have no protective covering and even just looking through them left fingerprints. I thought I'd found my new fave deck..but wouldn't like to guess what would happen if used regularly. Come on printers..redo in a better quality card and they would be perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice deck and book, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
I bought this set as my very first deck, because I'm very fond of steampunk and the thought of Tarot cards based on it was a must-have. The quality of the cards could be better, but it's what we can expect from most mass produced decks. The images on the cards themselves are amazing and in the book Barbara Moore explains why we see what we see in each card - this makes the book a worth while read even if you are an experienced Tarot reader. For a beginner the book is a really good place to start leaning about Tarot, Babara writes very well and her enthusiasm just bleeds through. She doesn't talk down to you, encourages you to find your own truth and merely offers her own beliefs and practices as an example.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I hoped, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
I bought this more for the steampunk than the tarot. I shuffle it looking for inspiration in my writing. Nevertheless, I know a little of the tarot from way back and I'd say that both the cards and the book that explains them are excellent for readings, for those that like that sort of thing. I like the cards so much that I wish they were a bit larger and more substantial. They are however a good size for handing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant deck!, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
The Steampunk Tarot (Llewellyn, 2012) authored by Barbara Moore and illustrated by Aly Fell, is a traditional 78 card deck. Combining a Victorian aesthetic in sepia tones with the wisdom of one of tarot's greats, it is an excellent genre deck, but also a very readable one. A first question might be: what is steampunk? Blending the Victorian past with futuristic technology that never was, it is an aesthetic which combines old and new; practical, scientific and magical aspects.

The deck is on good quality card stock, with cards measuring 7cms by 11.7cms (2 ¾ x 4 ⅝ inches). A lot of effort has been put into the packaging and execution of both the cards and companion book, and it shows. The card backs are non-reversible, with an interesting, brown-toned pattern that incorporates all the suit objects. The colour contrast has been done with a careful hand, so that the dark sootiness of Victorian London does not detract from the colours and images of people, places and things both familiar and "other".

Personally, I adore the colour palette, and in fact the whole aesthetic of the cards. The people that are to be found here wear anything from fabulous ball dresses to embroidered corsets, from chimney sweep rags to dandified suits. There is a great deal of subtle detail, both in the apparel and environments of the characters, as well as in more regular symbolism and the faces and body language of the people portrayed - it is a highly expressive deck.

The Court cards are wonderfully rich in symbolism, with Knights evenly balanced between male and female depictions, and with the Pages being fairly androgynous. The Queens are beautiful and poised, while the Kings seem wise, each in their own way. Much use is made of landscape and setting, as well as costume and props, to bring subtle cues for interpretation into play.

I find this deck to be extremely appropriate to a modern, urban audience, despite its "historical" aesthetic. The fact that there is plenty of technology depicted, yet not technology as we know it, fits well with allowing for modern interpretations without limiting them to our actual everyday experiences. A dirigible could just as easily be interpreted as a car, a motorbike, a train or an airplane; being none of these, yet embracing the notion of travel and adventure. So, too, it could indicate getting a different perspective on life - opening up both literal and metaphorical interpretations. Due to the urban, technological images on the cards, they connect easily with our own experience, yet retain enough difference to allow more spiritual and magical readings.

Going through the deck to pick some favourite cards, I was overwhelmed with the choices, and it took me a long time to whittle my pile down to a few, just to give a flavour of the deck. For example, the Seven of Pentacles shows someone looking at a plant growing on a seven-pentacled trellis. Instead of a labourer resting on his hoe, we have a scientist, with note pad, pen and glasses, studying how the plant is reacting to the experiments he is performing. It will be a long wait to see how things turn out, but that is the nature of the card: we put in work and then have to wait for the fruits of our labours. I love that there is the additional sense of science added to nature, in tune with the deck’s genre, and the idea that the fruits we are expecting may be far more long-lasting than a single harvest, contributing to material well-being for generations to come.

Another great example is the Three of Wands. Wands are traditionally associated with action, yet the Three of Wands is often a very passive card. Not so here, with a man standing on a bluff looking out over ships at sea. His three wands act as both beacon holders and as a tripod for his telescope, as he both watches and guides the projects he has sent out into the world.

The Hierophant is a card that many readers (myself included) often have issues with, but it actually falls in my favourites pile in the Steampunk Tarot! A cuddly-looking old man with a beard sits comfortably in a chair, dressed very casually, and talks with two children. The kids sit on a comfy carpet, although they are all outdoors, and there is a huge pile of books to the Hierophant’s side. This card gives me a sense of learning from experience, from books, and from nature - the passing down of information through multiple paths, rather than the limiting of understanding and belief to a single “way”.

And what, you might ask, of the Court cards? Given these are often considered the toughest cards to interpret, having good Court cards can make a huge difference to the reader-friendliness of a deck. On my first pass, the entire Swords court and half of all the other Court cards were in my favourites pile! These cards really are so full of character, it was hard to pick a single example.

In the end, the hot air balloon won: the Page of Swords. A jaunty young uniformed woman stands, legs akimbo, in front of her ride. She has a sword in one hand, the other on her hip, a cape draped over her shoulders, and an aviator’s cap at a cheeky angle on her bob-cut head. Her balloon has landed on the seashore, as she wants to explore everything, and isn’t afraid to go out of her element to do so. While she usually rides up in the sky (air) in a hot air balloon (air and fire), she has come down to the scrubland (earth) just by the seashore (water) to look and experience and catalogue. Enthusiasm, curiosity and quick wits are all easy to interpret from this card, as are situations where we are called to be open-minded and willing to leave our comfort zone to learn something new.

Altogether, this is a very well planned, beautiful and charismatic deck, with lots of nods to tradition, subtle jokes, and deep wisdom. It is very easy to read straight out of the box, but also offers plenty of depth and variety for the more experienced reader or collector. Its "genre" should not put anyone off, as it is an excellent deck, appropriate for any situation or type of reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book; great pictures; but very poor quality cards, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)

The accompanying book is very good.

All in all, not really worth the price. Yes, the cards look great; yes, they would work very well. Yes, the book is clear and informative. But the cards themselves aren't strong enough to use. I dread to think how easily they will be damaged.

Very disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome deck, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
A really beautiful deck following classic r.white symbolism.
A book is included,
but the only reason it is not getting 5 stars is that there is no box or bag for the cards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tarot for lesbians, 1 Aug 2012
Mr Wiltshire "jediwilt" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
I have been using these cards for readings for a few weeks now, I was doing a reading for someone who half way through the reading said there are a lot of ladies in this deck.
Upon closer inspection mast of the figures who look male could almost certainly be ladies.
I thought it was great that there was a deck that lesbians could relate to, there are several gay decks like the Brotherhood tarot, Gay tarot and Cosmic tribe tarot but they seem to have a very male focus, so to have a deck that is very female is cool.
The imagery is great, I like the dark tones of the cards, much like the Anna K deck, but I find this makes the splashes of light and colour stand out to give more meaning in readings.
Not really looked at the book as I tend to be very intuitive in my readings, but from a flick through it looked thorough.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite..., 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
This has to be my new favourite deck. It is beautifully illustrated and although the cards are very similar to the Rider-Waite deck, the slight differences do the deck justice. The accompanying manual is extremely well written. A very satisfied customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love ,love,love these cards and book, 12 April 2014
kezza smith (chesterfield, derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
This set is amazing . The cards are based on the classic known tarot but I find them easier to read because of the movement in the pictures x I would recommend these to anybody . Take a look at the images they are stunning . The book is a fantastic read and really breaks down the cards and give tips about correspondences . A really good read the book is amazing x well written down to earth language . I would say that this set would make a good first deck as well as a added deck to tarot enthusiast x I really connect with these cards they are beautiful x The cards are easy to shuffle and handle . I'm glad I bought them x

5.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
Loved it. It was well drawn and the book was detailed and easy to read. Easy to read read and use

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Steampunk Tarot
The Steampunk Tarot by Barbara Moore (Cards - 8 May 2012)