5.0 out of 5 stars Demystifing the Shamanic World, 22 Feb 2010
Deirdre Gough (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Follow the Shaman's Call: An Ancient Path for Modern Lives (Paperback)
I have never written a review before but after reading Follow the Shamans Call I am prompted to do so. I love this book.

Something magical happens just in the reading of it. Mike accompanies you on a variety of journeys, leading you with his gentle wisdom. It is very clear that this man not only knows his stuff but has experienced the shamanic path over time and distance. At the beginning of each chapter there is a little vignette/story which transports you to another world and another time allowing you a firsthand glimpse of the shamanic world - then in the chapter he takes you under his wing as he guides you with practical, down to earth structures for working safely and powerfully in a shamanic way.

This book is a smooth read - it is well written, extensively researched and delightfully executed. I found it all encompassing and grounded in ancient wisdom. I have great respect for Mike, his wisdom, inclusivity, humility and gentle power. Whether you are just dipping your toe into the shamanic world for the first time or are a seasoned traveller this book is an informative, empowering and enjoyable companion.

I can't wait for the next book............. which I think is out soon !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition To Any Shamanic Library!, 8 Feb 2010
Chris (Sussex England) - See all my reviews
I loved this book as it combined the historical background of Ancient Shamanic Teachings with the first hand experience of the Author and his contemporaries. There are well explained methods and exercises which are interwoven with lovely anecdotes that bring them alive, making them usable in today's modern society.

The style is informal and knowledgeable without ever patronising the reader and I feel it would be a great introduction for the beginner to gain an overview of Shamanism as well as being a welcome addition to any Shamanic library for the more experienced practitioner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant, authentic and practical, 13 Nov 2011
I have struggled with other books on practical shamanism. Fair enough the anthropologists and researchers - Eliade, Harner etc but then the practical guides seemed to be written by very different people with their own terms of reference and rather dogmatic and parochial views. A particular sticking point for me is the differing cultures that their traditions supposedly come from - eg Celtic, Peruvian or Sioux. Even if the methods described are authentic to those traditions that makes it hard for me to relate to as a 99th generation British person living in Britain from a thorough going Judaeo-Christian background.
Mike Williams is the perfect answer to all these issues. He is an academic and a British person. He strips shamanism back to a core and back to all of our ancestors of 10 to 30,000 years ago. The exercises are clearly explained and it is a very practical book. (I see he has another more theoretical book out at the same time about the prehistorical evidence). This is a real how-to book. Refreshingly simple in style and not dogmatic or querulous. Just get on with it and see what you find. Amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 27 April 2013
I have this book - I ordered another copy for a friend, who is also delighted with it. The book itself is an amazing "get you started" work which has changed my life. I hope it does so for my friend as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 6 April 2013
I absolutely love this book. I have read some others, which can be a bit heavy going but this is not.
Each chapter, he takes you on a little journey at the beginning and then really explains fully what you want and need to know.
I like his style of writing, very easy to read, and i love the content.There are many historical shamanic references in the book, and that adds substance to it and really gives it life, without it being 'stuffy' and 'old fashioned'.
I highly recommend it to any level as there is something there for everyone.
Anyone interested in Shamanism should have this book.

Follow the Shaman's Call: An Ancient Path for Modern Lives
Follow the Shaman's Call: An Ancient Path for Modern Lives by Mike Williams (Paperback - 1 Jan 2010)
14.99