4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tarot, though standard size doesn't do it justice
Tarot itself is beyond awesome. I've been keeping an eye out for the artist's work since 2005, not long after she first started on the project. Her artwork is beautiful -- the colour is rich and blend into each other in subtle shades, the lines are flowing and the curves are just stunning.

However, the printing doesn't do it justice -- the standard size cards...
Published on 2 Jun 2010 by L. Cao

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrations on low quality card.
I love this deck, it is so beautiful and inspiring to me as an artist and spiritual person who loves dream-like imagery. I even have One of Stephanie's artists books to help me practise different techniques with painting in water colour.

Published 18 months ago by sunflowerteeth

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tarot, though standard size doesn't do it justice, 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: Shadowscapes Tarot (78 card deck and a 264 page book) (Cards)

However, the printing doesn't do it justice -- the standard size cards are a little too small, and details end up getting lost -- you could see the originals on her website, it's much larger, so it would have been nice if the cards are printed say, at twice the standard sizing.

The book is sufficient for someone who's never done a tarot reading before -- but I'm not planning on using these cards for readings; they're just too beautiful for any wear and tear.

Lastly, Amazon ships this in a normal book cardboard sleeve, but the case itself is not fully filled out, so it WILL get at least a creased corner, or in my case, a whole side squashed. I do hope Amazon takes some care in packaging this in the future -- the case itself is quite pretty as well so it's not that pleasant to receive a squashed case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and wonderful, 11 May 2010
Over the years I have owned many decks of Tarot cards and gradually these have been replaced by Angel cards. Stephanie's cards have a unique, light and airy feeling, with a higher vibration than many tarot cards - for example for "Death" she uses the story of the pheonix, and the image itself dances lightly across the card.... it is not dark and melancholic. At last after many years I am happy to return to using the tarot as a tool for enlightenment, because these cards truly are on a "good vibration". The illustrations are amazing - such a flow of artistry through every card is enriching and inspiring in itself - a wonderfully gifted artist. Finally - would I recommend? A million times over.... thankyou Stephanie!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful artwork, publisher spoils the experience, 25 Feb 2013
Miss J. Gillespie "Arianrhod" (Aberdeenshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
This lovely deck is a wonderful piece of artwork, I adore this deck to bits. However, and I am having the same thoughts I have seen from other people, I am unhappy about the deck size, it is crammed onto such a little card, fair enough it was perfect for the Enchanted oracle (another Llewellyn deck I own), but a bigger deck size is needed.

On the other negative side, still, when you get the deck, the deck is in a plastic bag, there is no actually bag where you can keep your deck from going all over the box. Again, my Enchanted oracle is the same, you get it in a wrapping and you are basically alone for the storage of the cards. Llewellyn must use the same card stock for all their cards as it does feel a familiar deck that way.

Going to the positives, this is my "fairy tarot deck." and I just adore the artwork, if the cards were the same size roughly as they are in the book, we (he readers) will all be saved from fatigue trying to work with busy cards. The artwork is adorable and so unique. Just a shame Llewellyn have decided to destroy the experience somewhat. I am not buying anymore decks from Llewellyn as I am really disappointed. La Scarabeo yes, Llewellyn no.

I feel sorry for the lovely Ms Law. :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrations on low quality card., 8 Jan 2013

I definitely think this is one of the most beautiful decks I have ever seen and nothing about this deck is scary or eerie or off putting when doing a reading. Even the death card has a positive feel to it as death is depicted as a woman being reborn as a phoenix which is a wonderful concept on death and change.

The ONLY negative comment I would say that others have not pointed out and I think some light needs to be shined upon because it is quite a big issue. The actual card used for this deck is really low quality. I can't believe the publishers have sacrificed this aspect to the deck when the set comes with a good quality manual book and the illustrations are out of this world? surely the deck deserves to be on high quality card like Doreen Virtue's oracle decks. It is a shame that this has tainted the pack. The card the illustrations are printed on are quite flimsy and easily bent, the quality is worse than the card paper of a normal deck of cards!

Also this deck (once taken out of the packaging with the book) do not have their own separate bag or small box to keep them safe?
I think perhaps Stephanie and her publishers need to rethink that aspect of the deck and maybe create a newer edition that is much more durable and hardy? I am seriously thinking of laminating my tarot deck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite artwork, 30 May 2010
I came across this Tarot by chance, and was intantly intrigued by the images. I am not usually a fan of the 'fantasy' tarot decks, but this one seemed different...I spent an hour on the artist's website looking at the imagery, and I was sold. I bought it immediately. On doing my first reading, I got some amazing results. My most dreaded card came up, in both readings, and in the very positions that I would absolutely shake in my boots to see it in before. However, this time, I was not bothered. Stephanie's interpretation of the card is not the traditional image, and in fact, the image that she used reminds me of a favourite childhood story, which tells one exactly how to avoid such a fate!! Another card in the deck, the 8 of Pentacles, features a spider in a beautiful web rather than the more traditional craftsman at his workbench. This also had an interesting effect...I hate and fear spiders intensely, and I ususally won't even look at them in books, but I was really intrigued by the image on the card, and had a long meditation on the diligence and determination needed to craft such a thing as a web. I never would have given much thought to the fellow at this workbench--that's just some craftsman at work, not such an evocative image. Really a mind-altering experience.
I must agree, however, with the above reviewer who noted that the colours are fuzzy and the images not very clear...I was very disappointed in this aspect of the deck. I would love to see these cards done in a larger size, in order to show off the amazingly rich detail and the luminous, jewel-like colours that Stephanie used. That having been said, it certainly doesn't detract from the experience of using the cards. Paired with the companion book, which has poetic and almost dreamlike descriptions of the cards by the artist (and larger, clearerr images of the cards (sadly only in black and white)), The Shadowscapes Tarot is a joy to use, and a must-have in any tarot collection. I am looking very mush forward to doing my daily readings with this stunning deck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 26 Aug 2011
Loves Reading (Plymouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The artwork on this set of tarot cards is beautiful. The colours fantastic and the detail extraordinary. Every time I look at the cards I see something new. The text in the book is poetic and a joy to read. Lovely set of cards!

3.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by publisher..., 11 Feb 2013
Flimsy, small cards, I'm afraid I can't see any detail - even with my glasses - and have to use a magnifying glass. The publishers should be ashamed of themselves. The artwork is otherwise beautiful if you can be bothered to squint at these cards under a bright reading lamp! The book is very nice with a full page black and white picture of each card. I hope they'll be re-issued in better quality card stock and size soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Deck..., 12 Jan 2013
It has heightened my understanding and appreciation of the tarot. Unlike other decks it moves away a bit from the standard depictions but the little booklet explains everything, it describes a lot of the cards using stories and poetry which I really liked and I think this actually enhanced my understanding of their meaning. I use these now more than any other deck I own, not only do I find I get a clearer understand of what each card means but the descriptions in the book are so uplifting and empowering (yes, even on the less pleasant cards!) that they just make me feel better every time I use them (usually when I have a dilemma and want a bit of insight into the situation)

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing but....., 2 April 2012
The artwork of this deck is amazing but I must agree with many comments that the experience is spoiled by a card size and print quality which lets them down badly, how frustrating! The actual box is also disappointing such beautiful work deserves a firm lidded box to contain the deck. I can't understand how the producers could so let down this wonderful piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadowscapes Tarot, 22 Sep 2011
The Sadowscapes Tarot are not only beautiful to look at,, they have a lovely energy all of their own. I have had many different cards over the years and i must say these are lovely!
They are light airy and uplifting. I connected with them as son as i got them. I really would recomend these beautiful cards. happy Reading! : )

Shadowscapes Tarot (78 card deck and a 264 page book)
Shadowscapes Tarot (78 card deck and a 264 page book) by Barbara Moore (Cards - 1 Jun 2010)
18.73