5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
"Lament" is a story about a girl called Dee, who, on her sixteenth birthday begins to notice strange things happening in her once normal world. It all starts when she meets a boy called Luke, who she is immediately drawn to, despite his secret intent to kill her.
As the plot continues she realises she is a 'cloverhand', someone who can see faeries, and these faeries...
Published on 26 Jan 2011 by Emjay

3.0 out of 5 stars Books of Faerie 1
I'm going to start this review by saying that I don't have the best track record when it comes to books about faeries so I wasn't sure if I should read Lament or not. Having said that I am also a massive fan of Maggie Stiefvater, I love her Wolves of Mercy Falls series and I also really enjoyed her recent stand alone book The Scorpio Races. If anyone could convince me I...
Published on 17 Nov 2011 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best work, 30 Mar 2011
Beanie Luck Spud (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I have all of Maggies books and this by far is the worst one i have read so far.

Its about a 16 year old girl who can see fairies, she also has a boyfriend luke who was assigned a task to kill her but he ends up falling in love with her.

I found it somewhat lacking, i wasnt convinced of the relationships with any of the characters in the book, the supposed romance between dee and luke left me flat.

There are a host of supporting charcters and fairies who are supposed to be frightening but i didnt find them so, i found it all a bit tedious if im honest.

There are far better books out there i have included links below, go and buy them instead..

Tantalize

Intertwined (MIRA)

Unravelled (MIRA)

The Demon Trappers: Forsaken

Finding Sky

Hush, Hush

4.0 out of 5 stars Lament, 28 Mar 2011
I'm going to preface my review of 'Lament' by saying that overall I did thoroughly enjoy it. I'd definitely give it four out of five stars and I'm now going to read the rest of Maggie Stiefvater's books. But (you knew this was coming!)...although I enjoyed it, I wanted to love this book so much. I wanted to be gripped by it and swept away by it but I found that I still had one foot on the ground the whole way through. I wasn't completely engulfed by the story and I didn't feel like I wanted to immeditely rush out and buy a copy for my own collection. I hate saying that because I know so many people love this book but I didn't have that total emotional connection to it.

However, even saying all that, I still think that this is a cracking addition to faerie lore and I adored the style of Maggie Stiefvater's writing - dreamy and inventive and poetic with a very magical quality to it. I loved the main character, Deirdre and the development of her relationship with Luke, the gallowglass, although I wasn't totally satisfied with the ending. I liked her self-effacing nature and her insecurities and the way in which she matures and grows in confidence. I would have liked to have seen more of the background and relationship with her family developed further, particularly what happened to her mother and aunt when they were younger, but I accept that Stiefvater probably left some of that out to concentrate the story firmly on Deirdre herself.

I thought that the relationship between Deirdre and her best-friend James (who is funny and clever and witty) was well written and extremely realistic and it will be interesting to read 'Ballad' which is told from James' point-of-view.

I'm disappointed that I didn't love it but I may well give it a few months and then read it again. You never know, it might just win me over next time around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read..., 26 Feb 2011
I've read all of this author's books that have been released thus far. I enjoy her style of writing and the pace at which her stories unfold. The have all the mystery and excitement you want. Love the worlds she creates in her books and you really fell as you are apart of them. This book is well worth the read, won't tell you about what happens as that would only spoil your fun. So purchase it and let your adventure begin. Also check out her other books about the werewolves - they are fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 19 Feb 2011
If you are a real teen-lit fan then this book is for you. Easy reading and a story where you fall in love with the main characters :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping novel but a disappointing ending., 12 Jan 2011
Lament is about 16 year old Dee who is able to see faeries. When the mysterious, but handsome Luke appears on the scene Dee is immediately drawn to him. But Dee doesn't know that Luke is an assain from the faerie world and that she is his next traget.

I thought the novel was very gripping and i didn't want to put the book down once. However, the ending was very disappointing.I feel that the ending was a bit rushed and that it was kind of let the whole book down, which is sad. But as a whole the book was very well written but i thought that we weren't told enough about Dee's dad, who does appear ever so often in the book.If you want a good book of the same genre i suggest that you read 'Finding Sky'

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful., 9 April 2014
There may be spoilers from this review.

I didn't really enjoy this up until the ending, and even then, it was very anti-climax. The characters themselves weren't great, Dee never questions the things she learns or freaks out, which I found unnatural. Luke, we simply don't know anything about his personality. We know a bit of his story, but I couldn't describe his personality in the book and neither could Dee probably. He's occasionally creepy and I know I wouldn't want someone like that, so I wasn't really feeling him. Also they fell in love with each other too quickly, I would accept it more if they knew anything about each other, but they didn't not really, I mean what is there to love when you know nothing about the person.

James in all, would have to be my favourite character. He wasn't bland, Like all the rest. But still, he isn't something to write home about or gush, just the best from a bad bunch.

I have the sequel in my bookshelf and Ill probably end up reading it because I have a few unanswered questions about the series and things that were raised. This is nothing compared to The Raven Boys, but considering this was her first book, you can really see how much she has grown and frankly, got better as a writer. I suggest giving this one a miss and pick up The Raven Boys instead, which despite the lame name, is pretty awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars thrilling, 8 April 2014
Great read, interesting story. Kept teenager engaged for a few hours. Will be picking up further books by this author in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars put simply- very badly written, 8 Nov 2013
As a big fan of Stiefvater's 'shiver' series I was really looking forward to reading this book. The idea seemed different and intriguing. However, as I began to read, the plot seemed to develop unrealistically quickly. Within the first chapter she meet the stereotypical mystery boy, and falls obsessively in love with him, without any build up or development. She then faces random monsters that have no explanation, followed by many more unexplained plot holes in the story.

The way it is written does not flow and is bumpy to read. There is always something to the phrasing in her writing that made me pause in confusion. She chose the strangest way to describe things, like 'dark brown sludge' to describe hot chocolate.

The main problem for me is the story is not explained. She meets him once, knows she loves him and then suddenly understands her powers and whats going on. There is no plausible development to her character, personality or the relationship she shares with her "love". They are bland characters described with bad literature in many parts. This is one of the worst books that I have read, and considering 'shiver','linger' and 'forever' are some of my favorites, i was beyond disappointed.
I would say good for young secondary school kids who just want a fantasy plot with teenage romance, without serious thought to plot or development.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unveiling a world of Fey, 29 Sep 2013
Alan McCluskey (Saint-Blaise, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Although Lament weaves its story around the impossible love affair between sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan and a young man with one foot in the faery world, the real heart of the book is the progressive unveiling of the world of Fey through the eyes of Deirdre. And it is here that lies the magic of Maggie Stiefvater`s writing. And I say writing not story. With her craft, the author manages to invest the mundane with an alarming otherness: a dog that crosses the road; an aunt reading over Deirdre's shoulder;... They say that the world of Fey lies cheek to cheek with ours and a blink is enough to pass from one to the other, for those who have the sight. It is in shifting the mundane by that tiny, almost imperceptible leap to the magic that Maggie Stiefvater excels.

Another facet of the author's writing that struck me is her changes of rhythm. Out of the threatening storm, the unexpected surges into the story, heralded by a sound or action, then revealed and almost immediately gone again leaving our hearts beating wildly and our minds wondering what the hell happened.

As with Ballad, the follow-on from Lament, the ending left me unsatisfied, or should that be bereft. That final cadence, when the tensions resolve, at least partly, and the magic dissolves leaving only a faint whiff in the air and a deeper yearning, the reader is dumped back into the everyday world that lies beyond the covers of the book.

Review first published on Secret Paths: http://about-books.secret-paths.com/?p=42

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best..., 11 July 2013
When I was reading this, there was something I found odd. When Deidre finds out that she can move objects she is totally fine with it. She doesn't tell anyone except James who is also not surprised by her telepathic powers. I also found the whole book a bit rushed. More focus should have been put on the grandma's death and when I think back on it, the whole thing sort of blurs together in my mind. What I just really didn't get was how normal she was with all the weird stuff going on. I also didn't like the ending. It's all very well that Luke and Dee get to be together (yay) but there is so much that is unresolved it makes me frustrated. What about her poor angry Mum who has had her gifts taken off her? And does Delia get what she deserves? And what about James? Personally I would have liked him to end up with Deirdre in the end because to be honest he deserved it more and he liked her. But no, he may have survived the car crash but he's still all alone.
On the other hand it was an OK read and I thought that the idea of the musical genius/cloverhand school was good. It actually would have been more interesting if she went to the school.

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception
Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater (Paperback - 1 Mar 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01