5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
"Lament" is a story about a girl called Dee, who, on her sixteenth birthday begins to notice strange things happening in her once normal world. It all starts when she meets a boy called Luke, who she is immediately drawn to, despite his secret intent to kill her.
Published on 26 Jan 2011 by Emjay

3.0 out of 5 stars Books of Faerie 1
Published on 17 Nov 2011 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 26 Jan 2011
As the plot continues she realises she is a 'cloverhand', someone who can see faeries, and these faeries aren't the cute fluttery kind who spread love and joy. They're dangerous, and Dee is unfortunate to realise just how deadly they really are.

I really enjoyed this book, I loved it so much I simply could not put it down. I love how Maggie can wrap romance, mystery and danger and come up with the perfect story. I think the characters are very likable, and the plot is as engaging as the faeries are scary. Overall just a fantastic read, right to the ending, which I must say is very sad, yet satisfying. I think that readers who loved "Shiver" and "Linger" should definately read this, and if you haven't read any of Maggie's books then all I have to say is... GO BUY ONE!!

I look forward to her next book "Forever", and any other future books she will brighten my world with!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Midsummer Nightmare., 3 Jan 2010
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception (Paperback)
Of the many books about the Fey, Faerie, Sidhe I have read over the years, this has to be up there at the top of my list. The author has researched her material very well indeed which always pleases me as sometimes Celtic mythology gets lost in translation.

To the plot...........Deidre Monaghan is a gifted Harpist and about to enter a prestigious music festival, with her and also performing on the pipes, is her friend James. True to form, before every performance, Deidre's nerves get the better of her and she has to rush to the ladies to throw up. Whilst she is struggling to keep her hair out of her vomit, a hand suddenly appears and holds it back from her face. She has just met Luke Dillon!

They talk for a while and Deirdre who is somewhat of a loner inexplicably finds herself becoming infatuated with this strange boy. He calms her nerves and together they play a duet which transcends anything ever heard by the judges. Oddly though, she keeps finding clover leaves everywhere.........

As Luke comes into her life more and more so do the clover leaves which for some reason frighten or worry Luke. There are dark forces at work and is Luke really who or what he appears to be? Deidre's Grandmother can most certainly see that something is not right and attempts to help her. Will she listen though?

This is a dark, brooding novel full of the cruelties and capricious ways of the Sidhe or Faerie Folk and gradually Deidre and James are drawn into it.

The climax of the book is truly stupendous and not one that I had envisaged but thoroughly enjoyable all the same.

So, if you are like Deidre, a Cloverhand, someone who can see Faeries, beware..........they are not the chubby, angelic little creatures with pretty wings who flit around flowers............they are cruel assassins and care not much for humankind or even their own.

4.0 out of 5 stars "your beauty will haunt me wherever I go", 25 Nov 2008
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception (Paperback)
Being a lover of fairytales and anything with a hint of magic, LAMENT sounded like the perfect book for me. But, rather than being yet another book about humans and the fey clashing, LAMENT also offers an original take on the genre.

The story is about Deirdre, a sixteen year old who has an amazing musical talent. Her everyday life changes forever when, just before a musical competition, a mysterious man called Luke Dillon comes into her life as if from nowhere.
Instantly she is attracted to him. And he seems to be attracted to her. But as she gets caught up in the whirlwind romance, she soon realises that she cannot deny that there is something strange about Luke, something almost otherworldly.
Even her everyday life seems to be getting stranger, as four-leaf clovers continually turn up wherever she is. And her grandmother gives her an ugly iron ring, whilst insisting that she wear it.
Things begin falling into place when Deirdre discovers that she is a cloverhand - someone who can see faeries. And Luke, her new romance, is a gallowglass; a soulless faerie assassin. On a mission from the Faerie Queen, it seems that his interest in Deirdre may be more sinister than love.

That is a brief synopsis. While there are echoes of other books - WICKED LOVELY by Melissa Marr is one and even the TWILIGHT saga by Stephenie Meyer is another, because of the doomed romance, LAMENT manages to hold its own and create another original voice within the genre. Stiefvater is a very talented writer. There are moments of pure beauty within this novel and the way that she uses music as a backdrop adds yet another element to the story as a whole. There are enough darker moments to make the story interesting, but there are also lighter moments to lift the mood.
So, why only 4 stars? Well, I do think this was quite a slow starter. I very nearly gave up with it, because the beginning of the book is heavily about the romance between Deirdre and Luke, and I rarely read books that are purely about romance. However, I stuck with it and I am glad that I did. As the story comes out about Luke's past and how he ended up as a gallowglass, the pace quickens and the story is taken to a whole new level. While the end may have been slightly rushed, as another has suggested, there is indeed a sequel coming out next autumn, BALLAD. I shall definitely check it out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Books of Faerie 1, 17 Nov 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm going to start this review by saying that I don't have the best track record when it comes to books about faeries so I wasn't sure if I should read Lament or not. Having said that I am also a massive fan of Maggie Stiefvater, I love her Wolves of Mercy Falls series and I also really enjoyed her recent stand alone book The Scorpio Races. If anyone could convince me I like faeries then I was pretty sure it would be Maggie!

As I expected Lament is beautifully written, I don't think this author will ever write a book that isn't full of wonderful descriptions that transport you to the worlds she has created. I also enjoyed the mythology of her faeries more than I thought I would, these faeries are vicious, cunning and manipulative and staying one step ahead of them isn't going to be easy for our main character Dee. Unfortunately I didn't love the book as much as I've loved Maggie's later releases though. It's by no means a bad book but it didn't capture me the way her others have so although I will still read the sequel Ballad I won't be in a rush to do so.

Dee is a talented musician but she suffers from terrible stage fright whenever she has to perform in front of an audience. I found it easy to relate to her nervousness and I loved how her friend James was so supportive of her. What I didn't like was the romance between her and the mysterious Luke. Even when she finds out that Luke is an assassin who has killed countless victims and that she is his latest target she brushes it under the carpet because she is attracted to him. I wanted her to find out more about why he had done the things he had done before she even considered dating him but that just didn't happen. I don't enjoy the kind of instant connection that was between them when there was nothing to back it up apart from suspicion and behaviour on his part that should have had her running a mile in the opposite direction. Once you start to find out more about why Luke is the way he is then I started to like him more and I think I'd have preferred the romance if it had developed more slowly.

Although this wasn't my favourite book I still think Maggie Stiefvater is a wonderful author, she is on my automatically buy list and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what she comes up with in the future. I would recommend her more recent books to anyone and if you're a big fan of faeries then I'm sure you will also enjoy Lament so don't let me put you off trying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly enthralling, 7 May 2011
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As a fan of the Mercy Falls Werewolves books Shiver and Linger and soon to be Forever, comes Lament, another stunning book to add to the collection.

Dee is an average girl with a not so average musical talent. While she longs for people to see her for her and not her talent, the only person seeming to do so being her best friend James. What she is unaware of is that, that wish may be just what she will get. Someone she is happy to get the attention off of though is the talented flute player Luke, who mysteriously arrives at a competition that she is performing at where they end up performing a beautiful duet with her harp and voice and his flute to a heartbreaking song; `The Faerie girl's lament'.

It is from this moment that Dee begins to see that she is not so ordinary with the help of the mysterious Luke and she soon comes to learn that Luke is not so ordinary himself, and although she is not sure what he is, she can't help be attracted to him. It is clear that Luke is dangerous, but Dee doesn't know just how much and as she begins to unravel the mysteries behind shadow figures and four leaved clovers and why Luke is here, that the anti begins to rise.

We, as the reader, begin to fit the pieces together to form the puzzle. But with it, like Dee, we still want Luke to be the good guy despite it increasingly seeming like he is not. However, everything has a reason and there is reason to why Luke has done what he has done and we learn the harsh, heartbreaking reality to him all too late.

Things are never as they seem, and it's up to Dee with the help of some forest friends, to save both James and Luke. With a climatic and tragic end sequence that has emotions high, we feel the heartbreaking `pain of the two lovers, Luke and Dee in an attempt to over turn the past, but what will be of the future with the curse of `The faerie girl's lament on them? With the final turn of the page we are not so sure but hope that it is a love that can conquer in book 2: Ballad, which is out now.

Cassandra220689

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 2 Mar 2011
I have read all of Stiefvaters books so far and love all of them. I have found every single one gripping and unput-downable! This one is definantly no exception.

It is about Dee who meets Luke and accidently falls for him. I wont go into anymore detail than that. Both Dee and Luke are very believable characters, especially Luke. He's sort of like the mystery guy at the beginning but as the book progresses he becomes more and more an interesting character and is extremely likeable.

It is a clever twist on typical faery books. There are no courts, it is purely a story of love, evil and fantasy. The only downside to the book is that the ending is extremely frustrating and not what you want to happen (cant say anymore without spoilers). However, in some ways this does make the book even more unique as it doesnt have the completely good ending like most fantasy love stories.

Overall, if you loved Shiver and Linger you will love this! Its gripping, engrossing and unique!

5.0 out of 5 stars ENCHANTING, 29 May 2011
I loved this book from start to finish, i have read Shiver and Linger and loved those too, as im into the whole wearwolf thing.I never thought id be interested in a book about fey. boy was i wrong! im hooked i read it fom cover to cover the day i got it.
i really like a book that i cant put down, after i finished it i read Ballad. and as soon as i had finished ballad i started over again. i hope maggie continues the story of Derdrie & Luke x

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't what I expected, 23 Aug 2014
The first time I heard about Maggie Stiefvater was a few years ago, and since then I have read some really good books by here. Shiver, the first in her Wolves Of Mercy Falls series was fresh and new, the first two book in the Raven Cycle were very unique blend of paranormal and mystery and The Scorpio Races was such a hauntly beautifully book I wished and hoped to a series. As you can see, I've really enjoyed my Maggie experience, and when I cam across Lament and Ballad in the charity shop I snatched them p instantly , looking for a new series for me to sink my teeth into a fall in love with. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Lament didn't grip me like her other books did. I really do think I was just a little bit too old for this one.

The one thing I loved the most about Maggie's writing is the slow build up to the story, how there was always a sense of suspense through out. However with Lament I felt that the pace of the book was just too quick, there thing seemed to be moving at a million miles per hour and all the secrets were laid bare. Yes, it took some time before we found them out but when we did, it was like 'here they are, there you go. Enjoy' it felt like they were just pushed upon us and I didn't enjoy that aspect of the book.

While I enjoyed the idea behind the book, I didn't like just how accepting Deidre was of the Faerie world, everything freaky and Luke. In YA paranormal books, when the main character has had a string of unexplained incidents or talents from a young age, the quick belief of what he or she is comes across as more believable, we didn't have that here. She just seemed to believe what she and those around her were with little to none convincing.

Fact paced relationship's happen to be another thing I cant stand, and with Luke and Deirdre it was as though they went from him holding her hair back while she threw up before show, I'd like to say she'd never met him before that too.., and within days she was always thinking about him and felt like she knew him inside out. I just did not get their relationship at all

Because of how immature the characters came across I found it very difficult connecting with them. Being 25, it's really seldom I find a main character who is between 16-18 that I can connect with these days, so it's not completely Maggie Stiefvater's fault. However I didn't find her a likeable character either. She was at times pretty self centered, and when something happens to someone in her family, she doesn't seem all that concerned with it and reacts different to how I would have expected.

All in all, this book just wasn't for me. And yes, I was disappointed but like already stated, I think it was just too much to do with age.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 10 Oct 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception (Paperback)
Deirdre Monaghan is an excellent harpist. At least she thought so until she met the devastatingly handsome Luke Dillon.

Luke's amazing musical skill unlocks something deep within Deirdre. Her talent at the harp becomes unmeasurable; however, other things begin to happen as well - strange things. Dee discovers that she possesses the power of telekinesis. She also learns to read the thoughts of those around her. Dee knows that Luke is somehow a part of all the craziness that is taking place, but he is unable to reveal his secrets.

Those secrets have the potential of killing both Luke and Dee. Dee must unravel the mystery surrounding Luke before it's too late - for both of them.

Stiefvater has created a novel that is reminiscent of Melissa Marr's WICKED LOVELY. The story centers on a girl who captures the attention of Faerie creatures. Of course, it is the responsibility of the human girl to set the wrong things right once again.

The author's formula veers from the norm by incorporating music into the plot. Dee plays the harp; Luke is a flautist; James, Dee's best friend, plays the bag pipes; all the while snippets of old Irish songs adorn the pages before each section of the novel.

The world of Faerie is becoming more prominent in young adult fiction, and this will be a welcome addition. Look for its sequel, aptly named BALLAD, due out next year.

Reviewed by: LadyJay

5.0 out of 5 stars Lament, 26 Sep 2011
Ms. T. Clarke (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
Excellent, was hooked right from the beginning, have read other books by this Author and all have been great, look forward to many more.

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception
Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater (Paperback - 1 Mar 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01