5.0 out of 5 stars Silvers done it again!!!!
Published on 19 Oct. 2003 by Mr. Lgt Marsons

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate-Not quite, but a very good try!
Published on 1 Mar. 2003 by ookster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Silvers done it again!!!!, 19 Oct. 2003
Mr. Lgt Marsons "mam1st" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation (Paperback)
This is the best book on Witchcraft I have ever read and believe me I have read a lot on the subject. I am not exaggerating when I say if you only bought this book you know everything you need to know about starting or brushing up on Witchcraft. She tells you about astral projection, seeing auras, dowsing, spells, rituals, esbats, sabbats, choosing a patron god or goddess or patheons, recipes for waters (holy water, thunder water, lightning water), gemstones, crystals, the Wiccan ethics, choosing a magickal name, telling your friends about your interests, and lots more. Truly amazing, I wish more occult writers like Silver existed. She tells things how they are and in a humorous and enlightening way. This is not only a book for Teenagers, everything you will ever need can be found within the confinds of this book! There are spells for exams, removing acne, glamours etc for teenagers but also spells to remove debt (which teens aren't usually known for), finding love and taking your first astral trip. I would advise this book to anyone who is serious about the craft and is not just for beginners. She gives tips on meditation or specific meditations like the Witches Pyramid (To know, to dare, to will, to be silent, to go)mediataion to achieve a goal or desire you have been wanting. She gives spells her children have written to protect their lockers and bedrooms or spells to protect yourself on a date. She does not expect strange ingrediants, just normal things you can buy at the supermarket which is appropriate because in London where I live I have not yet found an occult shop! Buy this book if you are a beginner, internediate to witchery or skilled practioner or even mildly curious to the craft and how it is practiced. Blessed Be!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate-Not quite, but a very good try!, 1 Mar. 2003
A lot of Witches I come across are either very pro or very anti Ravenwolf- she seems to court a lot of controversy and personally I find that unfair. She is regarded in some quarters as the ultimate 'Fluffy Wicca' author- I dispute that, and this book is a substantial example of why the title is undeserved. First things first this is a HUGE tome, and as such is a good choice if you're starting out..it's great value for money. The book is laid out in an easy to read format, with indexed pages to allow you to find precisely what you're after. Do not be under any false impressions here, there has been a lot of thought and work put into this volume, covering a vast subject range..from spirit guides to altar set up, to healing herbs and tarot cards..there's almost 600 pages of essential knowledge in this volume. Silver has obviously done her research, and at the end of some sections in the book she suggests other works on the same subject should you wish to increase your knowledge further in that area (not all the books that she suggests are her own, either!;). Also, it's evident that she has carried out a lot of historical investigation-the book is dedicated to Ronald Hutton, who wrote the outstanding 'Triumph of the Moon', and if you have read that then you'll understand for this book to have met with his approval means it must be pretty good. Another bonus for the reader is that Silver has an excellent conversational writing style, the prose is really easy to understand and that adds to the reading experience.
There is a downside though, which is really unfortunate. It's aimed primarily at teens, and I really wish it hadn't been. This seems to be a blooming market at the moment, and to be honest I feel that teens are perfectly capable of reading 'adult' tomes but altering the material within to suit. After all, as a Witch you have to be adaptable! So within the volume you will find that are lots of spells aimed squarely at resolving teen issues, such as dating and homework problems. I think the book should have stated on the cover that it was aimed at such a market, but having said that you can skip these sections or change the material to suit your needs. It's only a minor gripe though really, when you consider the size of the book and the quality of the information there really is something for everyone within its pages.
I would suggest that you give this a try. If nothing else it's a handy reference book to have, and a good introductory text. Or, if you're of the 'Anti-Ravenwolf' fraternity, it'd make a great doorstop! =^..^=

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic..., 15 May 2004
Mr. J. R. F. Richards "mongreldracomancer" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is one of the best books on magic and witchcraft out there. Don't be fooled by the title, it's use ranges from Solitary Witch to full-fledged covenor - all can benefit from it's papery goodness.
Silver has managed to pull together some serious information here, and she has done it with her usual upbeat and bouncy attitude. Despite it's thickness, it really does make you want to pick it up and actually read through it front to back.
She has also compiled many references for further reading.
I really cannot emphasise enough how useful this book has been in providing a unified text combining knowledge from many areas into one.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 21 Feb. 2006
SCARLET ROSE (scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
i have been a solitary witch for 7 years now i started when i was 15 using Silvers New Generation books, which are also excellent for novices, when i heard about this book as with the other reviewers i thought it would just rehash her previous books.. HOW WRONG I WAS.. this is a fantastic indepth book into the craft.. perfect for moving on from novice material.. I love silvers books they are fantastic to read and she writes with an upbeat humour which is hard to come by in craft books as they can be a tough read sometimes. I have had this book for 2 years now and i still use it to this day as a reference!!! THIS IS A MUST HAVE FOR ANYONE IN THE CRAFT.. IF YOUR A BEGINNER KEEP YOUR EYE ON THIS YOUL NEED IT IN THE FUTURE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solitary witch, 6 May 2004
Clare "Bookaholic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I initially bought this book because I thought it would make a really good reference book to refer to rituals, herbs, crystals etc as & when I would need to. Although I have read the other three books in the 'New generation' witchcraft books, I did feel that maybe this would be just the 3 books moulded into one. I was quite wrong, although there are parts that have been mentioned in her others I personally feel that 90% of the work is not so.
It is so good how it is spaced out into sections so that if you are a more experienced witch you can skip the parts you may not need to go over and delve straight into the parts that you need to, it is also excellent for the new witch in that you can read the whole book and it is a great way to start learning about witchcraft as I did find this book on the whole fairly comprehensive. Once you have read it (for the newbie) and there are things that you need to go back over you can just jump straight to the section you need to.
For Ronald Hutton to review the work I think speaks for itself, someone of that calibre involved is excellent.
For an overview of witchcraft there is an extensive part on Tarot, which although I do not study Tarot I did find particuarly useful as it went into some detail on the minor & major Arcana. I did feel that more could have been written on runes, but if that’s what you are interested in she does recommend further reading at the end of each chapter.
There is a large amount of information on herbs and also crystals which was very useful, and a number of spells, although I do feel its better to write your own spells, so you could use the ones contained in this book for inspiration to write your own.
On the downside I think it is more aimed at teenagers (which is good if you are a teen) and I wouldn't solely rely on this book, it is as I said excellent for reference but, I would, and do use it purely for that, for other aspects of witchcraft I would use it in conjunction with other author's work. But, all in all this is an excellent piece of work from Silver, I would even say its her best work yet

4.0 out of 5 stars Definite vale for money..., 26 Aug. 2003
Mr. D. W. Mcconnell "opal_luna_saturnine" (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have read a lot on the Craft and have before found that SRW can be a bit twee and get dragged of being too moral about teenagers place in society. This book shows she has a vast knowledge and I don't know what she'll do next as this has so much in it. She looks a lot more at the science of the Craft this time and goes into Astronomy and even touches in Quantum Physics. This is a book you will flick through now and again and always find something new....

4.0 out of 5 stars Reading mixed reviews left me confused, 29 July 2010
Before I bought this book i searched all over the net for reviews. There are very mixed views about silver ravenwolf so i didnt know to buy it or not. I bought it. People say her information is wrong and its aimed at teens, i think if thats the way she practices magick then it must be right, because i believe any way is right with intent etc. The historical facts im not sure about because i dont know alot about history. I have come across a few 'if your parents' but i just ignore it and carry on its not written in a style that is obvious for teens and i wouldnt let it put you off, this is one of the main points i questioned, is it for kids? Nahhh, it is for anyone. Very helpful book. The whole book is packed full of information and it has a little bit on everything. I think it is definatley worth having its one of those books you can keep forever and keep going back to it and using it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only witchcraft book you;ll ever need., 25 Aug. 2005
I recently bought this book for a young witch and was amazed at the contents and depth it covers. I;ve beena practising Witch for 24 years and was very impressed by how deeply Silver R has gone into the Craft. Wish there had been this book years ago when I was starting out. This book will save you a fortune inn not having to buy lots of silly teenage spell books that are currently flooding the market. Personally I would not have thought this book was written just for teenagers. A lot of experienced Craft workers could learn a lot from these pages. This book in my opinion is a must have for any serious Witche;s bookshelf.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff - for teenagers, 23 Jun. 2009
Annebythegate (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As others have said this is book for teenage girls. There is some good stuf but for me it was imposible not feel utterly embarrased reading a book wich talks about acne, dating and exam stress. They should make it much more obvious on the cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly high magic. Certainly not for novices., 2 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
If you know nothing about the Craft, this book os not for you. You need to have at least an idea of what's going on before digging into this text, which can be at times quite overwhelming. I don't like the categorisation of the information. For instance, she doesn't give the info on cleansing and consecration items until the fourth chapter! Nonetheless, this book has enough of everything to please even the intermediate witch. The ritual outlines, whether Sabbat, Esbat or simple Spellcasting, are superb. The book generally leans toward high magic, but even someone who practices low magic can benefit.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation
Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation by Silver RavenWolf (Paperback - 25 Mar. 2003)