Published 8 months ago by Laura Buckland

3.0 out of 5 stars Too basic for me but would suit a beginner/vegan newbie
Published 2 months ago by cupcake girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book With Interesting Recipes (Though I May Be Somewhat Biased!), 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mayim's Vegan Table (Paperback)
I have to admit that I'm a massive fan of Mayim's acting work (especially in Big Bang Theory) so I'm probably a bit biased, but I do like this book. The section about healthy eating is not really something I appreciate (I already bought a vegan cookbook, I don't need to be told why vegan food is good for me and the planet!) but at least it's not patronising and I found bits of it quite interesting (though bits of it were rather over-dramatic, to my mind).

The recipes themselves are obviously the major focus of a cookbook, and this book doesn't disappoint! The recipes are easy to follow, feature simple, easy to find ingredients and in some cases are quite unusual. I look forward to trying the French Toast recipe as I'm a big fan of the non-vegan version. It's a shame that there are comparatively few pictures, but the pictures that are included are well taken, well labelled, fairly large and glossy, so I'm not going to complain too much!

I think that I'll get a lot of use out of this book, and I'm pleased that I purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps what it promises, 27 Feb 2014
I tried already a few recepies. They are quick to cook without the need to have first bought new ingredience for another 100$ and they are delicious! The approach not to lecture but to inform is so refreshing when you consider other vegan cokbooks which do not want to allow any other diet than vegan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great book!, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Mayim's Vegan Table (Paperback)
It was an amazing book. The writing was friendly and the recipes easy to carry out. I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars great way to start looking at the easy ways to get healthier and adapt it into your lifestyle, 1 Mar 2014
I was very happy with the way of learning the right way to incorporate fruit and vegetables into every meal and the way they want to educate people and there children about food and how easy it is to slowly help children learn what the reality of processed food has on them. Great recipes and a wake up call of how bad my diet has become after reading this you want to get healthier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good!, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Mayim's Vegan Table (Paperback)
Very good. Obviously aimed at the American market ( I had to google a few of the ingredients). I did like the beginning where it explained the nutritional stuff about the food! he recipes are fairly easy and tasty. Have been using it regularly since it arrived!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Aug 2014
Emma Stevenson (West Lothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mayim's Vegan Table (Paperback)
Great selection of recipes. Kale chips and pretzels are yum!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Oct 2014
This review is from: Mayim's Vegan Table (Paperback)
A delight! Thank you! What an inspiring, lovely woman!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too basic for me but would suit a beginner/vegan newbie, 8 Oct 2014
cupcake girl (The Provinces, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mayim's Vegan Table (Paperback)
I was aware before I purchased this book that it was a beginners vegan book but I wanted to read it because I'm a big fan of Mayim's. I knew that I would probably know most of the recipes (and I do) so I'm not going to criticise the book for being basic (although I will say you can find pretty much all of these recipes for free on the internet) but I was disappointed that it is rather dull. None of Mayim's personality shines through, in fact in some parts of the book I'm confused as to who is writing (the book is co authored with a Dr Jay Gordon.) The first few chapters are clearly written by him but there's no indication of when he stops and Mayim takes over. I found his part of the book condescending to the extreme. He assumes that everyone reading this book is fat and unhealthy and desperate to change their diet ( I always thought the whole point of veganism was compassion to animals.)Yes there are health benefits to a vegan diet but vegan doesn't automatically mean healthy, you can live on a diet of chips and Oreos and be vegan. Instead of providing me with healthy recipes I get a recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich using shop bought Soy cheese (this seriously takes a whole page). Healthy much? Also, I found his writing style similar to that of a teenager, not a health professional.
I was also disappointed there is no nutritional information included. Not essential I know but I believe a book trying to promote a healthier lifestyle should include this.

The recipes are the usual fare you'd expect to find in a basic cookbook, smoothies, veggie burgers, salads, pasta, kale chips etc all good things. Egg replacer powder is used in abundance here, I'm not a fan and don't use it.
I've made the non dairy Kugel, a mac and cheese style dish with sour cream and it was delicious, tasted just like my late grandmother's Mac and Cheese which I loved as a child. Also made the Baked Ziti, another pasta bake with 2 homemade vegan cheeses, one a Macadamia Ricotta which tasted very similar to the real thing or should I say the processed pap you can buy in the supermarket (can you tell I'm not a fan of Ricotta?) and a tangy Cashew Cream which I liked (love Cashews). Unfortunately it got a bit dried out in the oven (not enough sauce to pasta ratio)and it made loads so we were eating it for several days after, rejuvenated with some baked beans and ketchup. I also made the root vegetable Latkes which were a complete disaster but this was my fault, can't blame the book for this one, I may not be an amateur in the kitchen but I'm not an expert either and I still have my fair share of kitchen failures.

There are 16 pages of good photos in the centre of the book.

So to sum up, this book isn't for me but then I don't think I'm it's target audience, I'm not a vegan but I do eat fairly healthily and I can cook well (most of the time anyway) but it's not bad, the Kugel was awesome, if you only make one recipe from this book, make that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 8 Nov 2014
This review is from: Mayim's Vegan Table (Paperback)
Very good with yummy recipies

Mayim's Vegan Table
Mayim's Vegan Table by Mayim Bialik (Paperback - 27 Feb 2014)