4.0 out of 5 stars CONFRONTING THE ENEMY - SUGAR
I took this on to accompany someone who needed to shed some pounds for medical reasons, and therefore I wasn't going to make a big deal of it. However, as the pounds fell away very early on, I took it more seriously. Of course with all detox treatments, you have headaches and feel weaker than usual, but nothing that can't be handled.
As I moved from the initial...
Published 11 months ago by J. R. Fowler

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit of a let down
The content and theory of the plan is good but once again I find branded goods for the American market. If we have such a similar and alarming problem with sugar in this country why can't authors give alternatives suitable for us?
Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars CONFRONTING THE ENEMY - SUGAR, 23 Sep 2013
J. R. Fowler (Greater London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sugar Detox: Lose Weight, Feel Great, and Look Years Younger (Hardcover)
As I moved from the initial detox to eating more, I noticed an increase in energy, which I at first attributed to the contrast with the first three days, but then I realised I actually did have more energy. And the pounds were flying off - and I am a tallish man and very far from overweight. My stomach flattened and I lost my craving for sugary highs. So when allowed fruit it tasted very sweet.
It takes some effort finding your way round the book as the index lacks detail, but once I got the hang of it I began improvising within the guide lines. By week three I had lost ten pounds.
After a month you have to rely on searching out the recipes from permitted foods, which takes more effort than the early weeks, but I now know what can and cannot be eaten and although I put back a few pounds when I started eating something approaching a normal( but sugar free) diet, after maintaining my weight level, I started losing again. I am now on week 8 and am 11 pounds lighter than when I started.

I would suggest reading about the permitted foods because knowledge helps, but otherwise I would say this is a useful book. I was never one hooked on sweet foods, or desserts, or chocolate(although chocolate is permitted)but I am even less so now.
A good book and one in keeping with the current thinking: SUGAR IS THE NEW VILLAIN. I would recommend it, if only to make people look again at their eating habits, and to be more discriminating in their choices.

4.0 out of 5 stars The sugar dump diet, 19 Feb 2014
I looked into the diet as I have health issues. I was already gluten and lactose free but still being contaminated through sugar (I'm coeliac). This was really easy to follow, and for me quite simple. As I didn't need to cut bread/cakes/pastries from my diet, it wasn't a chore doing the three day detox. Three weeks later, I have no sugar cravings whatsoever, my appetite is greatly diminished due to not having the sugar push to eat. I finally understand why people who don't have a sweet tooth can be slim: they don't have the drive to eat.

The book is laid out in a functional way, and although written primarily for an American audience loses little in translation. The same applies to us fat Brits as anyone else: dump the sugar, dump the weight. I like the little vignettes scattered through it, offering examples and testimonials from real people.

I know it's all a bit 'on trend' to follow the latest diet, whatever it is. However this book has changed my life. Losing the sugar, glucose and fructose from my life has turned it back to normal. Although I'll never go back to eating 'normally' again, at least I will be healthier for it. If you're coeliac and struggling to control your symptoms even after you've given up gluten, read this book and follow it for a month. Hopefully, it will change your life for the better too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 10 Mar 2014
At last I no longer crave sugar. I can walk past the pick and mix counter. I like the fact I can snack on nuts and not have to weigh everything I eat. I have lost 1 stone in 4weeks 3days. I would recommend it to anyone but you do need willpower for the first 3 days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but a UK version of book would have been better, 16 April 2014
J. Burridge (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Great advice in this book, and is backed up by the latest hard science. It's a tough detox for a committed sugar addict - especially like me if you have a dislike of most veggies like me, this is no walk in the park.

The biggest annoyance about it, is no one has bothered to do a UK version of this book so instead we have American imperial measurements, references to food hard to find in British supermarkets (e.g. yams, summer squash) and list of approved products, most of which are unheard of in the UK. SO, you will have do a fair bit of googling in addition to this book to find their alternatives.

Also, warning chaps - a lot of this book (for some inexplicable reason) is blatantly aimed at women and there's a whole chapter on face masks! RIGHT! And all the case studies are from women too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The way to diet, 3 Sep 2013
On reading this book before embarking on the recommended eating programme, the nutrition advice seemed very sensible. Cutting out most things containing sugar has worked for me and I would encourage anyone wanting to lose weight to read this book first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant nutritional information, 22 Sep 2013
Best diet/healthy eating book I've ever bought! Packed full of interesting information from start to finish. 100% recommend this to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sugar, 4 Jan 2014
An unbelievable book fully illustrating the damage sugar can do to our bodies. Well worth reading if you have any concerns of sugar addiction

4.0 out of 5 stars Can you look at sugar again?, 5 July 2013
I. Darren (Fi) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
For quite a time now we have generally been aware that "we", both individually and as a society, are probably consuming too much sugar. Sugar seems to be everywhere and it is a bigger problem than just adding a spoonful over our cereals or into our hot drinks.

Just five words, taken from the book's marketing materials, put things perfectly into context. "Sugar is the new controlled substance". The term "controlled substance" is often used to describe an illegal drug such as heroin. Maybe, whilst not making it illegal, we should control our use of sugar a little better, particularly when you learn that the average (which means that many use a LOT more!) American consumes up to 31 pounds (14.09kg) of sugar a year.

This book sets out to educate, inform and hopefully help change your diet and lifestyle. The usual health risks from sugar such as diabetes and obesity are well known, the source of many sugars and the side effects of over-consumption such as ageing our skin are less known. The authors, nutritionist Brooke Alpert and dermatologist Patricia Farris, believe that they have a "revolutionary programme" that will get the sugar out of your diet to recapture youthful skin and good health, help shrink your tummy and generally overhaul you. A three-day detox programme is said to provide the kick start your body needs. Now it is outside the scope of this review to give medical advice or provide a controlled review of their claims, yet certainly many of the author's claims appear to be quite valid and persuasive.

Designed to limit the amount of extra blood sugar, slim your waistline, increase your energy levels, and improve your skin - this combined approach to nutrition and skin care will make you feel--and look--better than you ever have before. The secret? A three-day detox plan to get the sugar out of your system and get you on the path to eating and living the healthiest way possible. One of the hardest parts of a programme of this kind is the effort involved in rewiring your mind, after all you might have known no difference. The list of no-nos does contain some possible favourite items (dairy, alcohol, what or starches such as pasta and rice and fruit). Now many diets claim that pasta, rice and fruits are good for you... What to believe!?! No doubt a bit of nearly everything is good for you in moderation but if you want to have success with this plan, you need to follow the rules.

A specimen three day meal plan and shopping list is provided and surely anybody could follow the suggested diet for just three days. Of course, a change in future behaviour is also necessary but even if you can cut by half your sugar intake, that is still a LOT of good. Much of the book is given over to the recovery and rehabilitation of your body, skin and mind. The latter is particularly interesting so you get to learn about sugar and various products that don't sound sugary but are... A quick search on the Internet revealed names such as barley malt, buttered syrup, caramel, cane-juice crystals and dextrose also being sugar sources and there were dozens upon dozens in that vein.

The book also provides a number of well-written, varied recipes to help you progress with the new regime. A 31 day typical meal plan is also offered up as an example to future "calibrated" behaviour also. This reviewer takes a bit of a general approach to books of this nature, as they all are capable of providing good quantitive information that you can act on, whilst noting that there is probably no "one size fits all" approach either. Certainly there was a lot of interesting, engaging information to pull out of this book. You may be advised to take a closer look at it an.d see if you can form a personal bond as that is quite important.

The price tag might feel high but it is a very, very cheap price if you can just change your dietary behaviour for the good. A crate or two of soda... with ALL of that sugar...

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit of a let down, 8 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Sugar detox, 12 Mar 2014
Book full of good sound advice and easy to follow. Good thing is that it does not demand use of US branded products which are hard or impossible to find in UK. Prompt delivery.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Sugar Detox: Lose Weight, Feel Great, and Look Years Younger
The Sugar Detox: Lose Weight, Feel Great, and Look Years Younger by Patricia, MD Farris (Hardcover - 13 Jun 2013)
Used & New from: 2.26