Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 August 2012
Great book. Very interesting read. She makes you think very hard as to why you persist in chosing the clothes you do. Gave me a slant that I had never thought about and am pleased that even at 74 yrs I have taken notice and made some changes.
on 3 January 2015
If you are looking for help to declutter your wardrobe, to part from things you don't need anymore, to let go of the past, if you want to explore what clothes emtionally mean to you and what they represent for you: Great book.

If you are looking for some inspiration to dress but have already found your own style: Not such a great book. The style the author suggests is too boring and too conservative for me. I like to play with styles, I don't have the need to be dressed "appropriately", I don't have an office job, I don't want to look like a partner in a law firm. Clothes are an expression of my inner world for me, not a means to fit in at all cost.

So. It depends what you are looking for. Pardon my English, I am not a native speaker.
on 6 May 2012
This is so much more than just another frivolous fashion book. It's an excellent read providing real insight into our choice of clothing and our lives. It helps you to understand yourself, get your wardrobe organised to your own personal needs, and in doing so, start to improve your life in many other areas as well.
I originally bought the kindle edition, but I'm going to buy the paperback too, because this was so absorbing and informative I will want to keep it on the bookshelf.
on 10 June 2013
I didn't care for this book because it seemed to depend a lot on psychobabble, and also on having cash to replace your clothing. Most people wear clothes they are not completely ecstatic about. But it contains a good nudge to get rid of rubbish and to be more selective about what you wear.
on 29 January 2013
I realized recently that I kept wearing the same "uniform" even though I enjoy looking at/ reading about fashion and art. So, I wanted to do something about it, plus it sounded promising that I could (through this book) find out why I was doing that. However, if you have any bit of self-awareness you will already know the answers this book provides:
- you're dressing too young : because you can't let go of youth and don't know what is appropriate for your age
- you wear the same things over and over: 'cause you need some form of stability, etc.
There was one particular idea that really put me off, it goes something like: stop wearing your "training-wheel" shoes (flats) and start wearing adult woman shoes (high heels). Really? I should be uncomfortable all day long and end up like my mum who has horrible heel pains because she wore heels constantly, as THAT's how I prove I'm a grown up woman. I don't think so.
66 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2012
I think I must have read every book about image and colour coding etc, going, but wonder sometimes about the advice they contain. How often is it based on some shakey made up theory with no real proven academic knowledge as a basis?

I sent for this book because the author is such an expert, a clinical pychologist who first got the idea of helping women with "clothing issues" when she was a student, working part time as a retail assistant. She decided there and then that when she graduated and developed a practice, she would concentrate on this, much neglected, area. I like the way she addresses some of the serious problems women have with clothes quite early in the book - buying from boredom, trying to escape an unhappy life, over buying and hoarding issues, dressing too young and looking sad, dressing too old and looking equally sad and out of it. She examines these issues in a way that other books just don't - from the inside out. She doesn't try to diagnose your "colours" or put you in a "season" - although she does acknowledge some will always colours look better on us than others.

What I like is that her analysis of how to dress now, is based on change - how a woman changes throughout her life - and therefore her dress changes with her. So, a post menopausal women may feel the need to be quite bright and fun in her dress after a lifetime of serious career dressing; a young mum needs to wear something easy to wash as well as easy to wear, but still love herself in funky forms of this.

I like her tips for making a mood board to express what you feel now - maybe a strong need to wear yellow, which you should try out, maybe in small dozes, even if it isn't one of your normal comfort colours. She takes a very intuitive approach, with no hardline dos and don't; this is more about finding yourself and expressing that in what you wear - to be uniquely you - not wearing pink because its in your season, or not! The only consultant that comes close to her in my opinion is Sue Donnelly (see her books and website) she takes this sort of stance too and like this author, is a veritable breathe of fresh air!
on 5 April 2013
Psychological insights into why we wear the clothes we do, what we think we look like in them and, how we actually appear to others. Thought -provoking and informative.
on 5 June 2016
Really good and interesting book on fashion and clearing out the wardrobe. Gives good examples of what to wear and also tick box questions to see if any of the life behaviours apply to you. I am not a hoarder of clothes but the subject is very interesting from a psychological approach.
on 9 January 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone who wonders where their purchase habits come from and why we are driven by do certain things. Has put the brakes on my spending a bit as i know analyse a little more exactly what i really need.
on 30 August 2013
The subtitle to this book had me thinking that it was going to be something along the lines of one of Trinny and Susannah's books (and I like them) so I was concerned that the author was going head-to-head with T&S. However, Ms Baumgartner goes behind the reasoning for people's choices with clothes and other items. It was interesting to see a positive review from Dr Robin Zasio because I thought that this book was almost like something she or Randy Frost & Gail Steketee might write. What I liked about it was that JB didn't insult the people whose cases she mentioned and instead worked to help them get to the bottom of why they made their various choices eg dressing too old/young and so on. The fact that there were no pictures in this book, I felt, did not take from the book's message.