on 25 October 2011
Vegan for Life by US dieticians Jack Norris and Virginia Messina provides reliable, evidence-based, common sense advice for anyone following or seeking to follow a vegan diet. The book is clear, concise and easy to read. It also scotches a number of myths surrounding the vegan diet, including the widely held belief that vegans need less calcium than omnivores because acid-forming meat and dairy proteins increase the acidity of the blood, leading to a greater release of calcium from bone to neutralise the acidity. However, the truth is rather more complicated, and the authors recommend that vegans consume 6 to 8 servings of calcium-rich foods daily to ensure that they meet the recommended calcium intake. Not surprisingly, the authors' recommendations are based on US recommended nutrient intakes, and some of the fortified foods mentioned in the book are unique to North America. However, this is not as great a drawback as it might seem because recommended nutrient intakes are similar across the world and locally available fortified foods can often be substituted for those in the book.

With chapters covering the potential `problem' nutrients for vegans such as protein, vitamin B-12, calcium, vitamin D, iron, zinc and iodine, vegan diets during pregnancy and lactation, raising vegan infants and older children, vegan diets for older people, sports nutrition, the potential health benefits of a plant food diet, and the pros and cons of soy foods, Vegan for Life is both comprehensive and practical, with clearly-presented dietary advice, menu plans and nutrient tables. New and aspiring vegans should definitely buy a copy, established vegans and health professionals with vegan clients will certainly benefit from having a copy for reference purposes, and a copy might even encourage non-vegans to give veganism a try.
on 3 October 2011
Purchased as a result of trying to become a more healthy vegetarian/vegan - whilst simultaneously trying to lose weight and get fitter! I found I felt like it was a struggle to effectively figure out what I needed to eat in order to have a truly 'balanced' diet - and this book has given me some really useful factual information to assist me in making better choices.
on 14 May 2012
A fabulous resource on veganism. I have been vegan for a month, following over 5 years of being vegetarian, and I found I was becoming overwhelmed by well meaning friends and family who insisted that I suddenly looked ill. I bought this book to check I was eating correctly, and I can confidently say that my diet is even better than when I was vegetarian. My children eat a mainly vegan diet at home so this book has also helped me with catering for their differing dietary requirements. It lives on my bedside table and I dip in and out of it daily, and will continue to do so for a long time to come. An absolute gem.
on 1 January 2012
This is a brilliant book. It gives you no-nonsense advice. The internet is full of many outlandish and psuedo - scientific claims regarding whats safe and what isan't. This book draws on actual peer reviewed science to back the advice given. Highly recommended if you are thinking about making the switch to a plant based diet.
on 22 November 2012
If you are turning, or thinking of turning vegan this is a great book. No nonsense. Told me what I wanted to know & lives in the kitchen. There may be other, better, books around but this will do me. Contains some pretty cool recipes but there are more extensive vegan cookbooks out there. That's not what this is about though. I felt it told me what I need. How I chuck it together is my business.
on 1 July 2013
When I got this book, I had already been vegan for 6 months, The nutritional information in it is very helpful. I found the writing a little slow though - and so am struggling to get through it. Overall though, it's a must for anyone turning vegan!
on 29 November 2013
This book is very good for vegans who want to ensure they maintain optimum health. Since my family and friends all seem to ask "where do you get your protein/calcium/iron" etc.... I now have the knowledge to inform them.
It's a bit dry in places and I'd prefer a hard copy over the kindle version for easy reference but overall a very useful resource.
on 3 August 2013
Absolutely love this book!

It is clear, easy to follow, not very boring (even though it is a book about nutrition). I have gone through half of the book pen and paper in hand and skimmed through the rest and I can honestly say that now I know much much more than I started with and I can see myself referencing the book until I get used to vegan eating and I can see it being useful in the future too.

As a person that is transitioning to the vegan way of eating I have to say it is an eye opener not only on what I need to eat in the future but how nutrient poor my diet so far has been.

I also appreciate the tone of the book. I dislike books that are too preachy about the welfare of animals. I personally want to eat vegan for the health benefits and because the current way that we produce meat is inhumane, not because I think it's horrible to kill animals for food in general so the preachy tone in other books bothers me. This book is moderate on preaching and a very interesting read. Warmly recommend it!
on 17 September 2013
Very good book lots of inspiration as a new vegan I can re amends this book to others stating out on a new adventure and to good health and a better world to life in if we all followed in the vegan way of life
on 28 April 2014
I read the book simply to make sure , that I am a healthy vegan.Dr.Jack Norris is has done a remarkable research on every question a new vegan might have.Also if you have been vegan for some time and want to make sure you are eating a healthy diet I can recommend you reading this book.Its full with practical advice and very easy to follow tips on shopping and cooking vegan.Enjoy!