5.0 out of 5 stars Hand book for anyone with a woman's body...
Published on 28 May 2012 by Sharon Jackson

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
I am disappointed primarily because the majority of the books references are to newspaper articles rather than scientific studies- this is when the author is specifically referencing results of a study-why reference a journalists review of a study rather than the study itself- or is the author trusting the journalists interpretation- seems a bit lazy?
I have also...
Published on 21 May 2012 by purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand book for anyone with a woman's body..., 28 May 2012
This review is from: Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life: Achieving Optimal Health and Wellness through Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, and Western Science (Paperback)
This is a great reference book for women of all ages as it takes the reader through all the major milestones in a woman's life. So the earlier in life you get the book the better shape you will be in when you hit menopause! As a health practitioner I recommend it to all my female patients because it is full of practical guidance on how to deal with the every day health issues we come up against. At the heart of the book is a profound understanding of the effects of stress in modern day life - if the reader is able to fully understand that point alone it is enough to transform your life. I recommend it heartily to all my sisters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to read if your hormones are al over the place, 18 July 2013
I would recommend this book as I have read quite a few books on this subject and found this book to be the best so far. a friend lent me her copy, I started reading and thought I want my own copy, which I got from Amazon a very good service, did not have to wait long. this book covers different sides of looking at a women's body in and out, from the Ayurveda, Chinese medicine and the western way. it takes you through a journey of your body the stress it gets in, how it works, how you can help change it, a definite choice for understanding what you need to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars So grateful for this knowledgeable book, essential reading for women from 35 to 85!, 13 Jan. 2012
Caroline Savery "Caroline Savery" (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't read many books on menopause but at 39 I have noticed how different my body is from just a few years ago. This book explains about the balance of hormones and how the decrease of certain ones has an effect on your health in so many different ways. (Certain symptoms that had been happening to me over the last year are insomnia, irregular periods, heightnened stress levels and so on...)

I am an Ayurvedic Nutritionist and Lifestyle Therapist and know that really when it comes down to Ayurveda it is all about diet and lifestyle. However this book is so full of information that I had never come across before and I have learnt a lot.
The author's knowledge is all encompassing and she writes with a light touch that is very accessible.

Somebody reviewed this book saying that it should have the foods listed for the 'doshas' - ie. the individual Ayurvedic constitutions. The book acutally states many times that you have to consult your own practitioner for an individual consultation as neither Ayurveda or Traditional Chinese medicine have a 'one size fits all' diet. And it is a book about balancing hormones which in most cases means to nourish your 'yin-' the foods of which are listed in the book.

I think this book is a most timely 'must read' which covers allopathic (Western) medicine alongside traditional healthcare systems and gives you everything you need to balance your body and mind holistically. I highly recommend this book.

Caroline Clayton

5.0 out of 5 stars a new prospective!, 27 Jan. 2013
A fascinating topic, easily explained.
An innovative view on hormones while discovering the ancient wisdom of ayurvedic and Eastern medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, 22 Jan. 2015
This book is fantastic! I'm thoroughly enjoying it. At the moment I'm about 2/3 through and can't put it down. It's an angle of ayurveda I hadn't yet read about, the 'yin and yang' effect (and importance) of food and lifestyle on our hormones and health. Even the chapters I thought would be minimally relevant to me (such as birth control) were fascinating! Don't skip anything! Read it all, digest it and start living healthier! Read read read! It's very well written, evidently well researched, hugely informative, and something I personally like in these types of information based books, each sentence is critically explained or justified. Thank you Dr Welch, an all round great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balance your hormones, balance your life, 9 Feb. 2015
I am following the Ayurveda principles at the moment and this book is invaluable to help me with my understanding. Easy to read and I am able to just pick out a few pages at a time to read and it is still worthwhile, so I don't have to feel like I need to read in a particular order. This book would help anyone who might want to look at their diet in relation to their health and hormones in an effort to try to find some balance whilst tackling the stresses and strains of today's lifestyle.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 21 May 2012
I have also found the book repeats itself over again- the crux of the message is to balance your hormones by eating wholefoods, gentle exercise and reducing stress and if necessary see a practitioner of TCM or Ayurveda (nothing most of us dont know there)- this is repeated over and over in each chapter for different issues- osteoporosis, menopause, menstrual problems etc.
And the first lifestyle change suggested to reduce stress is to get up at dawn and self-massage for a minimum of 20minutes, then meditate..bit of a tall order with small children!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had this book years ago, 13 Mar. 2014
Having struggled with hormone imbalance which ahs affected skin, mood and overall health this book really does give some sound practical advice, in a friendly and caring way. Its one of those books that you wish you ahd picked up years ago.

Much of the book and its advice is focused on Eastern medicine with a leaning to Ayurveda but that's no bad thing and makes sense. There have been parts that absolutely hit home and what is surprising and yet unsurprising is that there are some really simple steps that you can take - back to basics stuff.

Lovely written book and one which I know I will be dipping in and out of time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very interesting book....., 19 Mar. 2014
a very interesting book.....a great read, I have learnt so much from it and its very easy to implement - highly recommended :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014