5.0 out of 5 stars Best beginner's guide I've seen
Published on 3 Oct. 2011 by Ruth Mackie

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit too much on detail
All I want to do is learn how to draw. Seems too complicated with the writer telling everyone how good he is. Gets boring after a while and doesn't encourage you to carry on
Published 21 months ago by carlos

5.0 out of 5 stars Best beginner's guide I've seen, 3 Oct. 2011
Ruth Mackie "ra_mackie" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book is the best guide to learning to draw I've ever seen. It really is geared towards a complete beginner - far too many so-called beginner's drawing books start off with something like 'this is a pencil' but then almost immediately start showing beautifully drawn, lifelike groups of figures, animals, landscapes, etc. with a vague suggestion that you should be able to draw them from life. Mark Kistler's book isn't like that. He leads the beginner by the hand through small steps - and they're not just 'copy me' instructions, either - they are 'this is how it's done' instructions, readily applicable to other subjects. As someone who has repeatedly tried to learn to draw, and failed miserably every time, this book is a delight. By the end of the first lesson (30 minutes or so) I'd drawn a peach from my fridge, shaded it, and it actually looked like a peach! In 3 dimensions too! Amazing! I highly recommended this book for all budding but hopeless artists like me - it will set you on the right path. My copy is on the Kindle, although I'm reading it on the Kindle app of an iPad. Illustrations are very clear in the Kindle version (i'd thought they might not be) and they are even easy to follow on the tiny screen of my iPhone (which also has Amazon's Kindle app). Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Place to Start, 6 April 2012
This review is from: You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less: The Fun, Easy Way to Master Drawing, from Figures to Landscapes, in One Month or Less (Paperback)
Definitely for the complete and utter beginner!
I love this book!
You will have a lot of fun working your way through the lessons they are all very approachable and the results are very much achievable!!
You start with simple shapes and simplistic shading and you finish drawing your own hand after thirty days! I proud of of my work too! I often have a flick through my sketch book to see how I have progressed!
There's tons of material in here when you include all the extra little bonus lessons and there's lots of other students comparisons to make you feel good about your attempts!
Get this book as your first stepping stone! A few pencils a blending stomp and slim sketch book are your only equipment necessaries!
It's a very good book and it's written by a very nice man!
I like to keep my reviews concise, hope I've helped!
Kindest Regards!
x x

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book!!, 8 Nov. 2012
After only 3 lessons I had drawings I was proud of. I'm artistic and will happily design and paint but when it comes to pencil and paper I have no confidence. Oh if only at school they'd have used the methods in this book. Anyone can draw, and practise just improves your skill. The idea that unless you're a natural you can't draw is rubbish. This book really does teach you that and is also fun to do and just so enjoyable. I love to look through my sketch book and look at my drawings. I still have that 'wow that was me' excitement and look forward to each lesson. I bought the Kindle edition to use on my iPad and found it perfect. The drawings themselves can be enlarged so really helpful and no book to carry around. I also find that as it isn't paperback, I don't flick through it so really don't know what is coming up. In a teaching book I think that's a good thing as sometimes we just don't have the confidence and get put off too quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, would recommend., 28 Mar. 2013
Sue Bayliss (London, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have just start sketching, mainly to relax in the evenings. I use this book on my kindle and I followed the exercises. It is excellent. The exercises are good and the book encouraged using what you did in the exercises to try your own thing which I found fun. I would definitely recommend this book. When I look at what I have achieved since using it, the results are great......move over da vinci (just kidding). There has been progress which is encouraging and this has kept me practising. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite book, 18 Jan. 2013
Bought this for my daughter for xmas. She is 13 and loves art. The book is fun so really appeals to all ages. Very clear instructions of how to draw many things. Step by step guide is so helpful an makes the drawings easy to achieve. I have enjoyed producing drawings using the book and i am usually poor at drawing. My daughter particularly likes the section on citiscapes as she has not attempted to draw one before. She is thrilled with the result after folling the step by step guide. Will look out for more from this author

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for beginners!, 14 Oct. 2014
A brilliant book! This book is so easy to follow and work with. As a teacher I very often don't have a lot of time to be creative but this helps me no end...ands it's fun. I'm currently teaching myself a fabulous new skill as well as a year 4 class. Its feeding my mtp and so saving me time.

A must have if you are new to drawing. Instructiond are clear and precise. It is well set out and diagrams/dtawi ngs are also clear with useful notes.

Prgress is quick although I think you benefit from taking a little more time on each section.

Good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My drawing sucked, now I'm about 1000 times better., 20 Feb. 2014
Growing up, my brother was always so much better at art than I was, and so I kinda gave up on learning to draw. I found myself in a situation where I really needed to at least have the basics of drawing down, so I took the risk, bought the book, and went through it.

I noticed after 1 week and 10 chapters in that I was suddenly a lot better. By the time I completed the book, I was taken aback by how much better I am at art.

I'm very glad I got this book and completed the course. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 29 Aug. 2012
Really fun to work through, easy to follow. Nice approach to teaching and quite easy to warm to the author and artist. Great touch looking at the works of other progressing students.

5.0 out of 5 stars This teacher gives you the confidence to try., 14 April 2013
I got the paperback version. It is fun, quick and with a lovely teaching style.

I would advise reading the 'Book Description' above as this is one of those times when it is very accurate.

I have finished lesson one - spheres, lesson two - overlapping spheres and lesson three - advanced spheres! This new-found knowledge of 3D circles enabled me to sketch really good versions of a mango, an apple, two tennis balls and a funny cartoon. It's all in the shading! All this and I had never ever sketched before. I can't wait to see what's next. I heartily recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Draw in 30 Days, 27 April 2014
This book is excellent . I struggled at an art class and gave up disappointed. I do a chapter of the book everyday and really enjoy it because the results are pleasing. My drawing skills were nil when I began. I feel I now have a relaxing and cheap enjoyable hobby. I wish there were more books by this author to follow on .The teaching is superb. Thank you Mark Kistler.