5.0 out of 5 stars Best beginner's guide I've seen
Published on 3 Oct 2011 by Ruth Mackie

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit too much on detail
All I want to do is learn how to draw. Seems too complicated with the writer telling everyone how good he is. Gets boring after a while and doesn't encourage you to carry on
Published 12 months ago by carlos

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best beginner's guide I've seen, 3 Oct 2011
Ruth Mackie "ra_mackie" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book is the best guide to learning to draw I've ever seen. It really is geared towards a complete beginner - far too many so-called beginner's drawing books start off with something like 'this is a pencil' but then almost immediately start showing beautifully drawn, lifelike groups of figures, animals, landscapes, etc. with a vague suggestion that you should be able to draw them from life. Mark Kistler's book isn't like that. He leads the beginner by the hand through small steps - and they're not just 'copy me' instructions, either - they are 'this is how it's done' instructions, readily applicable to other subjects. As someone who has repeatedly tried to learn to draw, and failed miserably every time, this book is a delight. By the end of the first lesson (30 minutes or so) I'd drawn a peach from my fridge, shaded it, and it actually looked like a peach! In 3 dimensions too! Amazing! I highly recommended this book for all budding but hopeless artists like me - it will set you on the right path. My copy is on the Kindle, although I'm reading it on the Kindle app of an iPad. Illustrations are very clear in the Kindle version (i'd thought they might not be) and they are even easy to follow on the tiny screen of my iPhone (which also has Amazon's Kindle app). Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Place to Start, 6 April 2012
This review is from: You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Master Drawing, from Figures to Landscapes, in One Month or Less (Paperback)
Definitely for the complete and utter beginner!
I love this book!
You will have a lot of fun working your way through the lessons they are all very approachable and the results are very much achievable!!
You start with simple shapes and simplistic shading and you finish drawing your own hand after thirty days! I proud of of my work too! I often have a flick through my sketch book to see how I have progressed!
There's tons of material in here when you include all the extra little bonus lessons and there's lots of other students comparisons to make you feel good about your attempts!
Get this book as your first stepping stone! A few pencils a blending stomp and slim sketch book are your only equipment necessaries!
It's a very good book and it's written by a very nice man!
I like to keep my reviews concise, hope I've helped!
Kindest Regards!
x x

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book!!, 8 Nov 2012
After only 3 lessons I had drawings I was proud of. I'm artistic and will happily design and paint but when it comes to pencil and paper I have no confidence. Oh if only at school they'd have used the methods in this book. Anyone can draw, and practise just improves your skill. The idea that unless you're a natural you can't draw is rubbish. This book really does teach you that and is also fun to do and just so enjoyable. I love to look through my sketch book and look at my drawings. I still have that 'wow that was me' excitement and look forward to each lesson. I bought the Kindle edition to use on my iPad and found it perfect. The drawings themselves can be enlarged so really helpful and no book to carry around. I also find that as it isn't paperback, I don't flick through it so really don't know what is coming up. In a teaching book I think that's a good thing as sometimes we just don't have the confidence and get put off too quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it!, 3 Mar 2013
Deborah Stanley (Worcs, England) - See all my reviews
I have recently started drawing & thought that it might be fun to give this book a go. Best thing I ever did, it has opened my eyes to drawing from imagination or from real life without being totally daunted by a project. My drawing has improved and it has given me more confidence to tackle things that I wouldn't have tried in the past.

Each 'lesson' is delivered in a friendly fashion and accompanied by lots of diagrams to show the steps. Some days I did two or three lessons in a row and other days I re-did lessons just for fun :) There are pictures at the end of each chapter to show how his students did and they give you ideas of how to tweak your own designs.

This book is a delight I was sorry to complete the last page & so I have now bought his book, Drawing in 3D, yes it is meant for kids but I'm not letting that stop me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite book, 18 Jan 2013
Bought this for my daughter for xmas. She is 13 and loves art. The book is fun so really appeals to all ages. Very clear instructions of how to draw many things. Step by step guide is so helpful an makes the drawings easy to achieve. I have enjoyed producing drawings using the book and i am usually poor at drawing. My daughter particularly likes the section on citiscapes as she has not attempted to draw one before. She is thrilled with the result after folling the step by step guide. Will look out for more from this author

5.0 out of 5 stars This teacher gives you the confidence to try., 14 April 2013
I got the paperback version. It is fun, quick and with a lovely teaching style.

I would advise reading the 'Book Description' above as this is one of those times when it is very accurate.

I have finished lesson one - spheres, lesson two - overlapping spheres and lesson three - advanced spheres! This new-found knowledge of 3D circles enabled me to sketch really good versions of a mango, an apple, two tennis balls and a funny cartoon. It's all in the shading! All this and I had never ever sketched before. I can't wait to see what's next. I heartily recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, would recommend., 28 Mar 2013
Sue Bayliss (London, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have just start sketching, mainly to relax in the evenings. I use this book on my kindle and I followed the exercises. It is excellent. The exercises are good and the book encouraged using what you did in the exercises to try your own thing which I found fun. I would definitely recommend this book. When I look at what I have achieved since using it, the results are great......move over da vinci (just kidding). There has been progress which is encouraging and this has kept me practising. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 29 Aug 2012
Really fun to work through, easy to follow. Nice approach to teaching and quite easy to warm to the author and artist. Great touch looking at the works of other progressing students.

5.0 out of 5 stars drawing made easy, 3 Jun 2014
really love this book......i hadn't drawn for years and had only recently started to sketch again but wanted clear guidelines......Mark makes drawing easy and fun and i now have the confidence to continue to bigger projects........i would recommend this book for children as well.....one further note.....Mark encourages tracing which surprised me as i thought it would be cheating but no it actually helps with learning the flow and curve of objects which is why i bought the big roll of tracing paper on Amazon as well...highly recommend for beginners and anyone who just wants to brush up on their creativity

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Draw in 30 Days, 27 April 2014
This book is excellent . I struggled at an art class and gave up disappointed. I do a chapter of the book everyday and really enjoy it because the results are pleasing. My drawing skills were nil when I began. I feel I now have a relaxing and cheap enjoyable hobby. I wish there were more books by this author to follow on .The teaching is superb. Thank you Mark Kistler.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›