5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
Published on 1 Aug 2011 by mumoftwo

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money
I bought this book attracted by the "groundbreaking' in the title hoping this Tupler lady came up with something the world didn't already know.. Besides the terrible writing technique jumping from one point to another - it's hard to actually figure out what the 'groundbreaking' exercises are.
All you need to do is contract your TVA muscle (transverse abdominals) as...
Published on 3 May 2012 by Lerik

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: Lose Your Mummy Tummy: Flatten Your Stomach Now Using the Groundbreaking Tupler Technique (Paperback)
I have two children, aged 4&1/2 and 2, and even though I had my second child over 2 years ago I still looked as if I was 6 months pregnant. I am fairly active, I walk and go for bike rides often, went to pilates for a while, and was regularly doing the 'normal' tummy crunches, but nothing seemed to be helping my tummy get firmer. In desperation I searched the internet for post-natal stomach exercises and came across this book. The exercises seemed so simple, I had my doubts at first as to whether they would work, but they do. I have been doing the exercises for about a month now, and can definitely see a difference - finally! I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling to loose their mummy tummy, no matter how long ago you gave birth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 3 May 2012
All you need to do is contract your TVA muscle (transverse abdominals) as often as you can stand it and within a few weeks they'll get significantly stronger. Here, now you may as well have read this book... Search for 'postnatal TVA exercises' on the net and you are good to go.. Oh, and another thing - employ your common sense to do everyday things like picking up a baby or nursing - and not feel like a complete knucklehead getting advise from this lady on things that you already know..

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know about flat, but you'll be stronger!!!, 6 Jan 2005
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Reading this book in my 36th week of pregnancy, I can't vouch for these exercises leading to a flatter stomach. However, I have been through physio after both my previous pregnancies for pelvic floor problems as well as a three-finger separation in my abdomen, and so I know that doing exercises like these can make a huge difference in the strength of one's pelvic floor and returning a separation to something like normal width.
However, I hazard that these exercises are *better* than those given my the physio. The additional focus on the transverse stomach muscles makes a lot of sense, and I can see now that some of the crunches and lifts that the physio recommended were actually *undoing* a lot of the good work I had already done.
I also like how Julie Tupler's book focuses on more than just one part of the body, working not only with the stomach but with breathing, flexibility of joints, and all-over strengthening, as well as tips for every day living that include lifting babies and even rolling out of bed.
My only reservation about the book is that the descriptions of some of the exercises are a bit involved at first; however, working through them with the book in hand is necessary only the first two or three times, and then, it's logical and sensical.
Here's hoping that her promises of a flatter stomach are as true as the ones about regaining strength -- I could use a better profile after number 3 comes and goes!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars quick reults, 11 April 2013
By just doing three exercise three times a day my tummy has substantially reduced in size - though has not disappeared. As this was the purpose of the purchase I am happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give 6 stars tbh, 6 Aug 2009
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Not being enamoured of exercise I was pretty devastated to realise that 12 weeks pp I still looked 7 months pregnant. I hadn't put on heaps of weight and was doing crunches and, yet, my tummy just wouldn't flatten out. Then my health visitor mentioned diastasis recti and the fact that muscles separated by the pregnancy don't always return. I happened across a forum for mums and this book was mentioned.

My separation has gone from 10 cm to 5 cm within 30 days of starting the programme. My tummy looks about the same but I am not expecting it to flatten significantly until the separation is closed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tummy exercises, 29 Oct 2010
I did these exercises for months religiously (but only manage to find time once a day to do it although she does say the more the better!) and can say that I've seen a noticeable difference in stomach muscle tone. I remember feeling so weak in my stomach area and my back was so achy post-partum (the back problems are related to the weak stomach muscles). Well I persevered with this book's exercise and noticed a significant improvement in my tummy muscle tone. My diastasis is now about 1.5 to 2 finger widths wide and I'm not sure if it can go down any more though because in the past 3 months I have not seen much improvement from this 1.5 to 2 finger width mark, but I'll continue to do them as I'm sure all the muscle tone will be lost once you stop doing these exercises. Its like working out - you can't stop or the results will disappear. She did say in the book that 1 finger width would be normal and wouldn't need correcting so I can't say I'm too unhappy with my current situation.

The book also gives great advice on how to care for your newly-toned stomach muscles whilst going about your daily life (what to do when you're picking up children, yoga, swimming, getting in and out of cars, etc.) I'd recommend every woman start doing these exercises after having their babies. The NHS hospital here does give out a physiotherapy exercise sheet to every woman who's just given birth, and though those exercises are great for gentle recovery in the first postpartum days or weeks, they didn't seem to flatten my tummy that much or give it that muscle tone, and this book fulfilled that need. At the back of the book there is a 30-minute Tupler all-over body workout which you would need an exercise band for, but also worth doing.

One thing though is that she recommends wearing splint around the tummy as often as possible (even during daily activities) until your diastasis is completely closed/healed. I can see her point as the splint really helps the diastasis heal faster as you work with the Tupler techique. I like the type of splint she sells because its not as big/bulky as the post-surgical or pregnancy abdominal splints I could find in UK sites and looks more comfortable as they're stretchier and made of terry and cotton cloth. I wish she had UK suppliers because although she does have international suppliers, they are American and you do end up having to fork out *at least* USD$15 for shipping alone and her splint isn't cheap - it costs USD$35 on its own. I have always used a scarf for splint purposes and in her book she did say scarves are fine as splints, but would have liked her splint instead, but the cost did put me off frankly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book to help flatten your belly, 31 May 2013
Informative and helpful. The illustrations describe the anatomy and explain how the excercises work. Full of details on how to make the program more effective.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 4 Nov 2014
Still don't feel like the exercises are working.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing noticeably of information in the book, 25 Mar 2013
I bought the Tupler splint and this book in order to start exercises that would get me back my pre pregnancy tummy. This book does not offer ANY useful information. It's a book on pulling your belly bottom to the spine! That pretty much sums it up. I suggest you get the Diastasis Rehab Guidebook instead, as this supposedly is the program, you'd actually have to follow. It's an 18 week program. I wasted almost 20£ including shipping on this book, and am disappointed that the seller of the splint did not inform me, that I should be getting the Diastasis Rehab Guidebook instead. So now I have to buy that one too.
However I am optimistic about the splint and have worn it for some days, and already am starting to notice small improvements. Looking forward to the Diastasis Rehab Guidebook!
Don't waste money on the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars lose your mummy tummy, 6 Oct 2009
this is a very dissapointing book, it is just full of waffle. if anyone has managed to dechipher through it and understands how to actually lose your tummy please let me know. There was very little about tummies at one point it was talking about how to strengthen your wrists!!! Dont waste your money.