5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, it has saved me $100's and a lot of pain.
This book uses visual aids to teach you how
to solve your own skeletal problems, such as
a painful back, headaches. Chronic problems
such as poor posture can be changed in very
little time. You will learn to troubleshoot your
own problems and gain flexibility and strength.

It has truly saved me hundreds of dollars on
Chiropractic...
Published on 13 April 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Interesting!
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, it has saved me $100's and a lot of pain., 13 April 1997
By A Customer
This book uses visual aids to teach you how
to solve your own skeletal problems, such as
a painful back, headaches. Chronic problems
such as poor posture can be changed in very
little time. You will learn to troubleshoot your
own problems and gain flexibility and strength.

It has truly saved me hundreds of dollars on
Chiropractic bills. Thank you Mr. Hanna.

I have bought about 10 of these books for
friends in pain. A very easy read and reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Usefull read, 14 May 2011
Mr. Andrew Malcolm (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somatics: Reawakening the Mind's Control of Movement, Flexibility, and Health (Paperback)
A usefull read for any bodyworker or recipiennt out there. The book enthasises why we gradually loose voluntary control over various muscles. These muscles hold us ridgidly in bad postures that eventually lead to pain and chronic conditions commonly associated with aging. The book highlights the two common types of posture that we see develop--the Red Light Reflex (round shoulders, posterior pelvis) which is deemed as a withdrawing from the world, and the Green Light Reflex (anterior pelvis and arched bow like back) indicative of someone always moving forward and not recieving the world around them.
The book teaches us to be able to regain voluntary control over muscles that have been continually held ridgid in order to restore posture and fluidity in the body.
I am a Structural Integrater and used some of the techniques in my practice with clients who were not responding as well to my treatment as I would of wished for them. Ive found this a very good tool and clients became much more concious of how they can take resposibility over their pain management.
Recomended reading, author makes it easy to understand, but would of liked better illustrations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Somatics by Thomas Hanna, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Somatics (Paperback)
I turned to this book in desperation! Agonising lower back pain was not responding to any medicaments nor to gels - the only relief was CoCodamol in large doses.....which is not an ideal methodology nor a long term strategy. I did some research and read about Somatics and finally ordered a book. It was second hand but in excellent condition and a good price. I read all of the theory, which made sense, and then began the exercises. What they essentially do is to re-train the muscles which are responding to the pain by tensing. The exercises reverse that somewhat. Thus, the book was a good "investment" for me, but expect only marginal relief - not miracles!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful good sense, shame about the diagrams, 31 July 2012
I found that the information in this book is very good and that the exercises helped, in my case with posture. Like others I found the diagrams very poor but the solution is u-tube, if you watch demo's of the stretches the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hanna Somatics - exercises to become supple, 30 Sept. 2013
This is an excellent book - after only a week I'm feeling more supple and I intend to continue with the exercises for life.
Unfortunately it is let down by the illustrations - pictures of a live model would have made the exercises clearer to follow but, having said that, they are simple exercises that don't take long to master.

4.0 out of 5 stars Been fantastic help, 8 Dec. 2010
I have been attending physio after my car accident but I found that I still had very little mobility and that the exercises given only gave light relief. It is safe to say I am still early in my therapy but I was very keen to try everything to get well soon. I first stumbled upon somatics when I was looking at You tube videos trying to find exercises to relieve my neck and back pain. I first did the the office chair exercises and found I could move my head slightly more to the left. Not being able to always look at You tube video's and wanted to know more abou tthis I looked for a book that I could also bring on my travels.

More than half the book is dedicated to case histories. You can tell the author is very passionate about treating a patient as a whole and for someone interested in the health industry it was very interesting..for others though they may find it very dull.

The only reason I give it four instead of 5 stars is that the quality of the images are not very good at all and it is not clear from these how to move etc but the descriptions are suffice.

I have been doing these everyday since I received it and it is helping greatly with my whole body alignment. I am now definitely a fan and plan to maintain this all the way into old age! I am sleeping better and I can move so much more freely

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Somatics (Paperback)
Bought this for someone who suffers with chronic pain and they found the book very interesting and informative. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent exercise for those who hate to exercise and perfect for those who love to exercise., 9 Nov. 2014
If you are just looking for a daily routine that is easy to follow and will improve you whole body's health; relieve tension and reduce muscle pain and help you move more easily this book will do just that. It only works if you actually do the exercises regularly but they are meant to be done gently and slowly so perfect if you want to be healthier but hate gyms and sweaty workouts. The slower, the gentler the more effective :)
This book has given my Yoga and Pilates teaching a whole new edge - and me a whole new outlet. I have been so impressed by how these exercise can release muscle tension and improve mobility I incorporate them in all my classes and have gone on to study the whole subject in more depth. If you teach Yoga or Pilates these exercises will put you ahead of the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars I first became aware of Hanna Somatics 2 years ago when introduced to the modality by former professional dancer Laura Gates., 22 Dec. 2013
Image (England, UK) - See all my reviews
Although I embraced the idea behind Somatics - I found it impossible to relate to the chunky wooden figures Hanna uses in his book to explain the movements. In June this year when the Medical Profession declared my hip/spinal condition "irreversible" - I contacted Laura again. With her help over the telephone, and watching her DVD - a light bulb suddenly went off in my head and I understood Hanna's exercises, which I began doing daily - although I did wonder what such gentle, and for me - minimal movement could make. 4 weeks later my "irreversible" condition had changed dramatically... I was truly astonished to the point where I decided to study the system further with Laura's associate and leading Somatics Educator, Martha Peterson.
ISW.

4.0 out of 5 stars Our Attitude effects our health, 10 May 2014
A brilliant take on how our attitude forms our health. Everyone should learn what Hanna has to offer I really recommend this book. Also as a yoga teacher this a great reference and source of exercises to use as part of a class, I already am!

Somatics: Reawakening the Mind's Control of Movement, Flexibility, and Health